Handle on snowplow
Lots of snowplows mounted to the front of engines have on top of each side a handle (often painted white). What is the intended use of that handle?
Reinhard
If you look at the manufacturer's site of some of these plows (the real ones, not the models!), you'll see that they appear to be grab irons. Why they feel the need to put a grab just above the plow is beyond me, unless it's to keep you from getting swept under if you happen to turn around and be surprised by the loco coming at you - you can grab the handle and brace your feet on the plow Eek
Squidbait Wrote:... to be grab irons...:
Yes, that is what I am asking about.
Reinhard
So a crew member has something to hold on to if they need to lean in to lash up, release, or inspect air lines or MU cables.
railohio Wrote:So a crew member has something to hold on to if they need to lean in to lash up, release, or inspect air lines or MU cables.
and without a plow they do it without a grab iron all times. Is the plow so much in the way they need a grab?
Reinhard
Perhaps to assist in mounting the plow?
-Dave
On the Chicago & Northwestern SD40-2, there are two "handles", that appear to be on "top" of the snow plow, painted white, which are the coupler cut levers ( release bars ), this could also be what you are seeing, they would be painted white to make them stand out from all the other "stuff" around them.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:On the Chicago & Northwestern SD40-2, there are two "handles", that appear to be on "top" of the snow plow, painted white, which are the coupler cut levers ( release bars ), this could also be what you are seeing, they would be painted white to make them stand out from all the other "stuff" around them.
Not really. Following Squidbait's link leads to this detail photo: http://www.imc-info.com/photoGalleries/I...11107.html. It shows the grab mounted on top of the plow.
Reinhard
There's an answer to the question HERE.

Wayne
Do I get a cookie or a lollipop? Lol.
-Dave
Puddlejumper Wrote:Do I get a cookie or a lollipop? Lol.

You deserve a German lollipop 357

[Image: Img_0579.jpg?t=1299943541]
Reinhard
I want to weigh in on this one. That "handle" is a required grab. It is a safety appliance, and required on all locomotives and cars.
some FRA personell have not come from the railroad industry and don't know all the rules, but when you model a car or locomotive you put that grab on them. I do believe that the cut lever bar is accepted in some cases if it is low enought to be used. I have searced for the exact FRA requirement but even knowing it is in the 49 CFR I can't find it, but it has been a requirement for many many years. It is not required to be painted a contrasting color because it is not used in boarding the locomotive. You will see the equivalant on the Alco parked beside the GP that has a plow.

Attached Files Image(s)

I read what the BNSF employee had stated on the other site and he may be right about the shop using them to mount the plow, except for his last statement. TE&Y employees DO in fact use that as a grab iron when going in between the cars to hook the air or MU hoses and cables. I use them all the time for that very reason at work.
Tom Carter
Railroad Training Services
Railroad Trainers & Consultants
Stockton, CA
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com">http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- m -->
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com">tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- e -->
[Image: gaugetraingifsigUP.gif]
Thanks, Charlie and Tom, for the clarification.

Wayne
I know that little grab is a pain to install, and there are four of them on every freight car and most locomotives. I was hoping Tom could find the regulation.
I had an FRA inspector that was a 30 year railroader (started out shoveling coal on an I1 in Oil City. He went to work for the Lehigh Valley after Korea and worked 45 days for Conrail before joining the FRA, and we were on his way home from work, so he was around every other week or so. He was a 7 state regional director and was in his late 70's when he retired.
He had forgotten more then the new guys will ever know. We spent hours talking air brakes and safety appliances and all the other rules. He was tough, but he was fair, and he was not out to cite you, but to keep you safe. Some of the new guys come right out of college, and they go by the book, not by experience. In time they will be great.
Charlie