Newbie - District 22 - Downtown L.A. (A table top railway)
Almost forgot to mention: those are the 'under track' magnets from Kaydee you see either side of the traverser to assist with coupling/uncoupling in the fiddle yard. However, I will resort to the 'hand of God' method of uncoupling in the scenic section as I'm not too fussed on the 'Kaydee shuffle' that you're probably all familiar with. Not intended as a criticism of this fine product; just one of my little quibbles.

Jonte
I'm not too fussed on the 'Kaydee shuffle' that you're probably all familiar with.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That shuffle is a pain for certain but,one I gladly put up with for hands free uncoupling and delayed uncoupling..

I never like the "Hand of God" uncoupling so,I used a small flat tip screw driver to uncouple the old X2F and KDs.

However...

I finally decided the magnet was far better after my hands started their shaky shake.. Icon_lol
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Brakie Wrote:I'm not too fussed on the 'Kaydee shuffle' that you're probably all familiar with.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That shuffle is a pain for certain but,one I gladly put up with for hands free uncoupling and delayed uncoupling..

I never like the "Hand of God" uncoupling so,I used a small flat tip screw driver to uncouple the old X2F and KDs.

However...

I finally decided the magnet was far better after my hands started their shaky shake.. Icon_lol

You've got a point there, Larry..........better go and give the hands a 'shake' test before I proceed any further :o The thought of having to fit them retrospectively sends me cold Icon_lol

Rolling stock, especially uncoupling, really is a long way down the list of things to do, however, I was wondering whether a magnet attached to that skewer I intend to use for the purpose might work? Perhaps I'll even invest in those Sergeants couplers I've heard so much about from those far more experienced in the hobby. Who knows.......

Anyway, thanks for your interest, Larry, and please keep tuning in Thumbsup

Jonte
Hi, everyone.

A little more progress.

Attached Files Image(s)

Think I'll vacuum the table top and board next to remove those unsightly bits of saw dust and wire.

Jonte
Hi All.

Well, after a somewhat intensive and rather protracted period of spring cleaning as promised in my last post - oh, and a spot of wiring to boot - I'm pleased to report that at long last, the layout is wired........... and working!

And nobody is more suprised than me that it actually all works - first time too (apart from a push-to-make switch which failed to operate and has since been replaced). Just goes to show what a valuable resource the Internet is when a no-hoper like me can get something to run without electrocuting himself in the process!!

To celebrate, I've taken a couple of piccies that I'd like to share with you: I just hope I don't bore you all to death in the process.

Several shots of the below-board wiring: most of it has been reclaimed from old electrical appliances prior to dumping at the tip, and the jack plugs, push-to-make and SPDT switches had been accumulated over the years for a plethora of layouts that never came to fruition (or even got off the drawing board!).

More to follow.

Incidentally, I must mention that I'd intended to build a separate control panel, however, I didn't quite have enough jack plugs and sockets to do the job - the easiest way I could think of. I'd purchased some 'D' connectors from Maplins a couple of years ago for the purpose, however, they looked a little delicate for my relatively broad soldering bit, so they remain in my old sweetie tin until I purchase a more suitable iron and muster the courage to wire them up!!

That lost shot is my interpretation of the top (inset) left hand picture on this page <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bobsgardenpath.com/ATSF_ThePatch.html">http://www.bobsgardenpath.com/ATSF_ThePatch.html</a><!-- m -->

Hope you don't mind me sharing this rather rambling post, however, having never reached this point in layout building before, this really is a land mark for me - and I'm as chuffed as nuts Big Grin Big Grin

Jonte
Jonte - glad you found the controller and that it does what you want
shortliner Wrote:Jonte - glad you found the controller and that it does what you want

Better than I expected, Jack, thank you. And as a bonus, It even makes the loco run smoothly over my home made track! I think that Bachmann EZ DCC unit will be staying in its box Thumbsup

Jonte
Strangely the Bachmann standard DC controller seems to be very good value, and works well, with good control - much better than you might expect for the price.
shortliner Wrote:Strangely the Bachmann standard DC controller seems to be very good value, and works well, with good control - much better than you might expect for the price.

That doesn't surprise me, Jack. Despite several accounts to the contrary, I really am rather pleased with my Bachmann purchases and service -Europe and American - all at competitive prices too.

I purchased my EZ DCC unit from a small retailer in the Warrington area for a very competitive price; it had been used by the proprietor merely for demonstration purposes of the new DCC fitted locos, so when he offered it to me, I almost ripped his hand off ( I purchased a Hornby LMS 8F loco from an online auction site which had erroneously been advertised as DC, which on arrival turned out to be DCC operated and which wouldn't work with my Gaugemaster DC controller, hence my purchase). I'd intended to build my proposed British layout to DCC and purchase all locos required appropriately fitted, however, in light of the success with the Black Cat controller, I'm rethinking my decision - sound doesn't really do it for me, anyway Wink

Jonte
Nice to see you are continuing to make good progress Jonte. Your wiring etc looks impressive and good to know that you've achieved slow speed contol with good 'ol DC power.

Mal
Layout videos - <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/user/Alcanman1">http://www.youtube.com/user/Alcanman1</a><!-- m -->

New Westbrook <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=8888">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=8888</a><!-- l -->
Nice progress. You might want to start posting the pics here as those trail version ones can disappear after awhile.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
alcanman Wrote:Nice to see you are continuing to make good progress .............

Thanks, Mal.

When interest wanes, I've always your stimulating words of encouragement ringing in my ears to help maintain momentum Wink

Glad you approve of my , ahum, wiring attempt, too. Never thought it was going to end: all that effort for just three points!!! Perhaps I could have got away with less wiring ( use of microswitches instead of SPDT switches?) but that's all I had. If I'm honest, I just like flicking switches Big Grin

Thanks for your interest,

Jonte