CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale
Hello Gents and Gals!

This is where I will post progress of my layout and other adventures in RR modeling on Big Blue. As indicated by the title my new layout when construction begins will be named the Scarborough Harbor Branch Line. As far as I know no such rail road has ever existed. So it is entirely fictional/freelanced. Goldth

The track plan...
[Image: ScarboroughHarbour.jpg]

The track plan is 16' x 15' x 1' 11" deep, HO scale switching layout. Based loosely in the mid 50's to mid 60's The RR will use a P2K GP7 and SW9/1200 to switch and move rolling stock to and from industries. The GP7 will act as the road switcher to deliver consists of cars to three customers; Obay Pharmaceuticals, Gern Ind. Food Grade Flux Division, and The Morgue Ales & Brews. One stub will be a team track that I can use to products and materials like coal, machinery (e.g. farm tractors) and other items to local industries. The layouts main feature will be a dock side scene that will include a Walther's Car Float, a RR Tug, and small dock which will act as an extension of the small yard along the harbor front. This is where the SW9 will find its home, switching cars on and off the float docked in the harbor, which will act as an interchange point for the RR. I'm still hashing out a car card system to move the rolling stock however I'm done with the track planning. I look at it and see opportunities for a four person session, two people per crew. Possibly a fifth as a yard master. Trains will mostly consist of 30-40 ft rolling stock with the occasional 50 footer thrown in for good measure. I should be able to make trains 8 cars in length, which is essentially what I was shooting for. The industry stubs are also long enough to make it look like customers who actually need to use rail service for delivery and shipment of products.

Anywho...no real progress to speak of. Except I spent the last couple of nights converting the SW9 I picked up on e-Bay from DC to DCC. The first real challenge I spoke of was removing the cab from the shell. I wanted to do this so I could replace the 1.5 volt light with an LED. You can purchase a decoder from NCE called the SW9-SR. This decoder will allow you to use the existing 1.5 bulb for the rear light. However, I wanted to use LEDs in both the front and rear lights.

First off the essentials to any meaningful decoder installation. Of course beer, wine, tea or coffee would suffice. However, its the holidays and my liquor cabinet fills up this time of the year with gifts of colourful bottles from guests and family. So allow me to indulge.
[Image: DSC02734.jpg]

I understand for the experts and the seasoned folks here, this is old hat. However, there are a number of us still wet behind the ears kids who might find this mildly entertaining. For what its worth, I could not find much of any help on line to show me how to do this. So, if you have nothing important to do like watch your finger nails grow enjoy! Misngth

The first thing you need to do is remove the couplers. Then by gently squeezing the sides of the shell near the front and towards the back close to the front of the cab you can remove the shell from the frame. Actually, if you never put these together as it come in the box you can avoid this step all together. I put them together because I wanted to see it that way and had it do a few laps around the x-mas tree for fun and kicks.
[Image: DSC02737.jpg]

So with the shell off, turn it over and gently pry off the copper contacts off the plastic stubs inside using a # 11 X-acto blade. The contacts are attached to the 1.5 volt bulb and I never did end up re-using them.
[Image: DSC02741.jpg]

First you need to trim the hand rails to the cab door off the back. To do this I used a brand new #11 X-acto blade for a nice clean and flush cut. The hand rails are affixed to the cab and the battery box behind it. So you need to cut the hand rails off one of the pieces. The beauty of this is if you cut them flush when you place the cab back on, it looks like you never touched them. I did not re-glue mine either just in case I decided to remove the cab again for some reason or another.
[Image: DSC02743.jpg]

Then squeeze the shell towards the back where the front of the cab is. This will allow you to lift the cab off slightly.
[Image: DSC02740.jpg]

With some careful coaxing the cab will eventually pop off. It really binds in there and at first I thought maybe it was bonded in place. It's not.
[Image: DSC02744.jpg]

So remove the guts to get at the housing for the light. The cab interior and window parts come out easy as pie.
[Image: DSC02749.jpg]

Because I'm cheap I used a small decoder I had on hand from another loco. Pictured is NCE's D13SR. Also pictured are the LED's and resistors used for the conversion. I picked them up as a set at a Train Show a couple years ago. I do not know who makes them, however the amber glow they give off is something that has grown on me. Doc Wayne commented awhile back the amber LED's look more realistic in the locos, I have come to agree with him.
[Image: DSC02750.jpg]

Intially I was going to use double sided tape to stick the decoder to the motor. However, the shell fits incredibly tight to the frame, so there is no room. So as seen, I placed a couple of strips of electrical tape on the back of the decoder and ended up just taping the decoder to the motor. Which works just fine. What I didn't take a picture of was the Plasti Dip I use to cover up my wire connections. It's like liquid electrical tape and cures in 30 minutes, 24 hours to harden completely. Just brush it on, go mix another drink and leave it. Cheers

[Image: DSC02753.jpg]

So...I don't think I need to go over the basics of decoder installation. Deano and others have provided some excellent tutorials on how to hard wire one up. Here it is all wired up for motor testing sans lights.

Fast forward and here is 7403 with her shell on and all wired ready for action in the yard.
[Image: DSC02756.jpg]

So I hope this wasn't too much. Just felt the need to get going on this. Hopefully this start will keep me honest and motivated.
I like the trackplan you came up with, it looks like alot of fun to operate Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
Mmmm... Appleton Estate... now that will help any project along! Have you ever had the opportunity to enjoy an Appleton and Coke while on the beaches of Jamaica? I highly suggest that you do it if you have not yet! (Actually I am on my way down there in less than 4 weeks for our 6th annual winter escape to Montego Bay)...

I need to convert an old DC engine over to DCC, but the whole soldering thing has me scared as all get out... basically put, my soldering skills are the pits (and I would imagine after a few Appleton and Cokes it would be much worse! Smile ). Other than the afformentioned rum and coke, do you have any wisdom you can impart of soldering in small spaces without making a mess?

--Rob.
RobL Wrote:I need to convert an old DC engine over to DCC, but the whole soldering thing has me scared as all get out... basically put, my soldering skills are the pits (and I would imagine after a few Appleton and Cokes it would be much worse! Smile ). Other than the afformentioned rum and coke, do you have any wisdom you can impart of soldering in small spaces without making a mess?

--Rob.

Hi Rob,

I use a 20/40 watt soldering iron with a pencil tip. For decoder installations and the like I use the low heat 20w setting. A small amount of flux on the connections helps the solder wick into the bits to form a strong connection. Pre-tinning your wires before connecting them is a good idea too. This way when you solder them either to a LED, resistor, decoder or each other all it takes is a second or two to melt the solder for your connection. This keeps the heating of small bits to a minimum. I also use mini clips as heat sinks. I've actually fried a couple of LEDs when making control boards because I neglected to do this.
[Image: DSC02752.jpg]

Good luck and take your time. If you are having trouble just come on back here and you'll get lots of help. Thumbsup
Tetters, good tutorial and my finger nails are .00001554" longer now.
Kurt
cnw1961 Wrote:Tetters, good tutorial and my finger nails are .00001554" longer now.

What kind of device are you using that can get small of a measurement off of? Its no wonder your models are so accurate. I want one too! Icon_lol
tetters Wrote:What kind of device are you using that can get small of a measurement off of? Its no wonder your models are so accurate. I want one too! Icon_lol

Sorry, can’t help you. I need both my thumbs myself Icon_lol .
Kurt
Tetters, seeing your trackplan, it reminded me of the Hoboken Shore Railroad <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://hbs.railfan.net/">http://hbs.railfan.net/</a><!-- m -->. They had a floatbridge and a special floatbridge yard that looks very much like your yard <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://hbs.railfan.net/hbs-mapb.gif">http://hbs.railfan.net/hbs-mapb.gif</a><!-- m -->. So if you don’t know the HBS already, it might give you some inspiration.
Kurt
Thats a fantastic Kurt! Thanks! Thumbsup
cnw1961 Wrote:Tetters, seeing your trackplan, it reminded me of the Hoboken Shore Railroad <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://hbs.railfan.net/">http://hbs.railfan.net/</a><!-- m -->. They had a floatbridge and a special floatbridge yard that looks very much like your yard <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://hbs.railfan.net/hbs-mapb.gif">http://hbs.railfan.net/hbs-mapb.gif</a><!-- m -->. So if you don’t know the HBS already, it might give you some inspiration.

Good point, Kurt.

Byron Henderson (who has had quite a few plans published in Model Railroader and Model Railroad Planning) also has a Hoboken Shore 12 foot H0 scale layout in his gallery of layouts he has designed for clients: http://home.earthlink.net/~mrsvc2/id15.html

I also once made a plan for something a little similar, in a "what can you fit on a 4x8 sheet of plywood, if you cut it up instead of keeping it in a 4x8 rectangle" contest on another train forum.

Mine (which should fit into a 10x12 foot room) was based on the Bush Terminal in Brooklyn, and was heavily inspired by a layout by Bernhard Kempinski in Model Railroad Planning 2003. I'll try to post an image below - in case it gets cut off on the left, here is a link to the plan : http://home.online.no/~steinjr/trains/mo...index.html

[Image: brooklyn5.jpg]

Anyways, I think tetters layout plan looks very good as it is, and am looking forward to seeing this layout as it gets built!

Smile,
Stein
Quote:Obay Pharmaceuticals

Excellent! I was wondering were they made that stuff....

Now I know it's made down in Scarborough Harbour. 2285_

Here's an add, for anyone who hasn't heard of "Obay"

Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol
Ron Wm. Hurlbut
Toronto, Ontario, Dominion of Canada
Ontario Narrow Gauge Show
Humber Valley & Simcoe Railway Blog
Yeppers. Actually the name of the drug is Obay. Thus I've been fooling around with a name for the actual company that makes it. I was thinking of trying to make an acronym out of the phrase Do as I say not as I do "DAISNIAS". However, I decided that perhaps just DAIS may be good enough. Pronounced Day-iss. So DAIS Pharmaceuticals. So while Obay would be one of their chief products they would also manufacture and distribute other medicinal products and drugs from one of only a handful of central labs and processing plant located in Southern Ontario. I planned on using a couple of the ads which I located on line in a billboard format around the layout to tie in the gag to the rail road. The finished products would packed in boxes and shipped out in box cars to be transported either cross country and even overseas.

As a parent I find this particularly amusing because it is the polar opposite for what I want from my own kids. That is I want them to be strong, independent and able to think for themselves. With the occasional piece of advice from the old man from time to time. Misngth
Hi Tetters,

Then I guess that you won't be sending the kids to Colossal U.

Funny how the College and University PR campaigns are catching our attention.
Ron Wm. Hurlbut
Toronto, Ontario, Dominion of Canada
Ontario Narrow Gauge Show
Humber Valley & Simcoe Railway Blog
The Demolition Orders came through today on the CP Scarborough Branch Line to make way for the new Harbour Division. 219

All the rolling stock and locomotives were relocated to another division off site for storage while the crew got to work removing the mechanisms and electrical underneath the rail road.

[Image: DSC02762.jpg]

[Image: DSC02759.jpg]

A whole bunch of Torts and Control Switches. What took me days, nay weeks to install, sadly came apart in a matter of hours... Nope

[Image: DSC02760.jpg]

[Image: DSC02761.jpg]

Crews also began to pull up some track work showing extra care removing pieces of significance which will find their way onto the Harbour Division Line.

It is also with great pleasure and admiration that I unveil a newly redesigned track plan. Courtesy of your friend and mine, live from Germany, put your # 5's together for Mr. cnw1961, Kurt! Sorry dude don't know your last name! Misngth

[Image: CPScarboroughHarbourRedux.jpg]

To say I just about hit the floor when Kurt surprised me with this gift is an understatement. I am completely stoked thinking about bringing this track plan to life. Thanks again Kurt for giving my initial track plan a whole new life.

I have favor to ask of one our Mods though. DocWayne. Please, pick the site for the GERN Food Grade Flux Facility. I would be honored. I personally have been mulling it over for a while and have no idea what would do it justice. So I need some help. Perhaps we can get a consensus on the matter from other GERN Plant Managers? I need the Boards recommendation here fellas. 8-)

So...

Over the next couple of days, I'll continue to remove the remaining track work and then start the process of removing the decking. I hope I can remove the cork roadbed sufficiently enough so that I can re-use the 3/8 ply for other uses non-RR related. It would be a shame to toss it. Although previous goes at reworking the trackage has shown that it comes off quite easily with a bit of effort.

Then I can rework the bench work to accommodate the water feature for the harbour. Oh, I also received a note from Walther's last week that they have shipped my float finally. Sweet! Thumbsup

Man this is going to be awesome. Big Grin
Quote:I have favor to ask of one our Mods though. DocWayne. Please, pick the site for the GERN Food Grade Flux Facility. I would be honored. I personally have been mulling it over for a while and have no idea what would do it justice. So I need some help. Perhaps we can get a consensus on the matter from other GERN Plant Managers? I need the Boards recommendation here fellas.

The CEO of the Florida Division of GERN Industries favors the facilities on the upper left as the GERN Food Grade Flux plant. It will see a lot of rail traffic and the two spurs leading to these facilities can hold enough cars to ensure a reliable flow of cars.
Kurt