Freelance 2011
faraway Wrote:the silos have hight of 10'. The main building about 9'.

Thanks Reinhard.

When I look at the structure, it appears to be so much higher based upon the hoppers parked on the siding. Whats the diameter of the pipe that you used?

Mark
Southern Tuxedo Wrote:
faraway Wrote:the silos have hight of 10'. The main building about 9'.

Thanks Reinhard.

When I look at the structure, it appears to be so much higher based upon the hoppers parked on the siding. Whats the diameter of the pipe that you used?

Mark
The large gray and white pipes have a diameter of 5 cm. That is little bit less than 2" (1" = 2,54cm). The silos look much taller than the hoppers but when you look at the Google photos you notice the compression immediately. The real hoppers are "tiny" under the huge silos.
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:I am an active reader of the West Coast Rail Forum.

You mean http://www.westcoastrailforums.com/ ?

Thanks for the tip.

Cheers,

Colin
cthart Wrote:...You mean http://www.westcoastrailforums.com/ ?...
Yes, that's it. The most participants live in the LA area. Some are railfans some work at a railroad. There are very good photos (Chris Walker is famous) with lots of scenery around the tracks. You will also find good videos in Youtube done by members of that forum.
Reinhard
Reinhard,

Thanks for the additional information and dimensions on the verticle tanks.

Mark
I did toy around with the spare space of the mill and did not find a replacement that is overwhelming attractive to me. The ordered conveyors arrived today too. They are very nice and I really would like to have them on my layout.
So I made up another story to solve the problem of a dramatic compressed industry side by side with 1:87 buildings.
The mill model will be as good as possible in 1:87 scale. It is not a model of the GM in Vernon but a freelance model of a smaller mill build at the same concept as the GM in Vernon.
I think that change will not be visible to you on photos but it is my mind setting working on the freelance model of a mill.
Reinhard
Work is resumed :!: All silos assembled painted and placed for testing.
[Image: Img_1026.jpg?t=1316529805]
Reinhard
Great work Reinhard! Where did you get the "G"? Will have a few a few boxcars for grain on my '50s-'60s version of General Mills.
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler
lajry Wrote:Great work Reinhard! Where did you get the "G"? Will have a few a few boxcars for grain on my '50s-'60s version of General Mills.
Lary, if you google for "General Mills" "pictures" you get several of their "G". I downloaded the largest and printed it on plain white paper, cut the outer outline and glued it to the silo. You can see within the "G" the white paper. But I had luck and the paper and the paint are very similar Smile Have to do the same on the tall building.
Can you post some photos how GM looked in the 50 - 60th?
Reinhard
Some paint and some parts glued together. I am afraid I will spend the rest of my live assembling, painting and installing conveyors Confusedhock:
[Image: Img_1027.jpg?t=1316604780]
Reinhard
The conveyors will make a already impressive model even more so! Worship
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Reinhard,

I'm glad to see that the mill is back. Thumbsup

It already looks great, so I can't wait to see how it turns out after you add more details to it.Popcornbeer

Mark
Reinhard,

As Southern Tuxedo stated, also liked the mill and glad to see it back. I'm sure glad that i freelance, you prototypical modelers are tough when it comes to the details . Worship

Bruce
That is one impressive industry and looks just great even if you do have to compress it. All those silos really draw your eye to the scene! Just great!
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
First conveyors are installed. They do deviate from the prototype and have massive functional limits if you have a critical look how the grain could possible get into the silo (or not). I did use what I got from the Walthers conveyor kits. It is a very free freelance Smile
[Image: Img_1029.jpg?t=1316718724]
Reinhard