Other Hobbies
P5se Camelback Wrote:
Pretty Kool, ShayGetz!

Thanks, they're a hoot to run---and easy to forget how hot they get... :oops:
...prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits...

My blog>>> <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com">http://www.misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
We used to watch the exchange rate and then order Live Steam kits from the U.K. when the rate was favorable to sell in the hobby shop I managed for a couple of years. They had quite a following! The kits did not last long on the shelves!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
I used to build model cars. The only other hobby I am pursuing now is a continuing study of WW II and the strategies employed by all combatants. Don't care for "War Movies," as such. They are mostly too phony. Everyone only has at most two days beard, when, in fact, many of the soldiers went for weeks and/or months without shaving or bathing. Getting clean clothes to the front was not a priority.
I only know what I know, and I don't understand very much of it, either.
Member: AEA, American Legion, Lions Club International
Motto: "Essayons"
Railfanning, amateur radio, photography, travel, anime and Japanese culture, and cooking.
Sailing.......................

I hold a Dinghy RYA (Level 2) certificate and RYA Dayskipper licence.

Bewtween my brother and friends, we've owned several yachts, a catamaran (Wharram Tiki 21 - polynesian type craft) and most recently a Telstar 26 trimaran.

All have now been sold as the others want to do other things for the time being and as boat ownership has oft been quoted as standing in a cold shower tearing up $100 bills, I'll have to save hard before going it alone.....................plus the tides are always wrong, wind in wrong direction, weather unfavourable etc........

Over the last couple of years, we've chosen to charter.....last year six of us enjoyed a 'boys' weekend on Lake Windermere in a 40' Beneteau......such a relief not to have to worry about any of the above or bother having to keep charts Shoot

A couple of years ago, my wife and I bareboated in the Ionian area of Greece.....most pleasant and highly recommended.

My biggest regret was selling a Jeremy Rogers Contessa 26 which I saved and stored in a local boat yard for a rainy day (retirement).....but the urge to go sailing meanwhile was just too great so sold it and bought the cat.

Now I'm retired and twiddling my humbs.....hmmmmm!

So there you have it: sailing. A wonderful past time provided everything goes right.....which it seldom does and then you swear never to go to sea again!!!!! Until a couple of days later, of course and then you can't wait to get back on the water. I'm never happy Nope

Jonte
We Geocache for the fun and exercise!

Are we lost yet...? Confusedhock: :?
MountainMan Wrote:We Geocache for the fun and exercise!

Are we lost yet...? Confusedhock: :?

My family & I were out hiking with friends yesterday & they brought up the topic of geocaching. It sounds like it's similar to orienteering, or a high-tech version of that?
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->
It's essentially a GPS-based scavenger hunt. People hide stuff, sometimes incredibly well, and then post hints or a riddle and the GPS coordinates. When you find the cache, you leave your name, and often take a small item from the cache and leave one of your own. The caches range from the size of ammo boxes down to "micro", "nano" and the specialty ones camouflaged to look like bolt heads, rocks, acorns and similar stuff.

We recently got a marble which is a "tracker", being sent as far as possible and tracked to see how far it gts from it's origin.

We found a little Hummer once that finally made it to Iraq.

The fun is in the hiking around and searching, and the pleasure of logging the find and then reaching the stage when you start planting your own caches.

We found an old, abandoned stone dam in Canon City while looking for one cache.
What other hobbies are there??? Icon_lol

1:87 to 1:43 scale die-cast cars of of the 30's thru 50's

1:32 to 1:29 scale die-cast and plastic U.S. military vehicles models

Casting and molding trains and other stuff

computers and gaming on pc platform and sometimes the Wii console

Sci-fi films mostly Trek and Star wars also have space 1999 and a few more but too many to list

Painting in acrylics on canvas

Electonics (also a professional trade but unemployed at this time)

Books(various subjects) got rid of all my sci-fi books execpt the trek and Star Wars and JRR tolkien stuff.

Bluegrass and steel gutair music (listening not playing)

Hobbies no longer active in are tropical fish, stamp collecting, Baseball cards

Hobbies I would like to start in some time are wood working, 3D printing/rapid prototypeing
My other 'hobbies' and pass times , in no particular order:

- listening to music, on a good stereo :-)
- playing music on synthesizers, and trying to develop new sounds etc. I guess I'm more of a synthesist than a keyboard player.
- building modular synthesizers, although I've put that on hold and sold mine due to financial pressures and lack of time and space.
- Working out, going for a jog, and martial arts, particularly ITF Taekwon-do, I have a 2nd degree black belt since 1988, since then don't have enough time to seriously continue study and progress through the ranks, but still enjoy it from time to time.
- Playing the occasional game on the Wii with my kids
- socializing with my friends
- Going out for a nice meal with my wife
- enjoying a bottle of red wine
- visiting an air show (I'd love to learn to fly , and would love to be taken for a ride in a fighter jet!)
- going for a drive in my car.
- surfing the net , visiting railroad forums and gathering info etc for my model railroad :-)
I guess thats most of them :-)

Koos
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->