BNSF Team Track in Houston
I thought it was real wood too Gary. Your work is absolutely stunning!! I have to get caught back up on your layout thread. I love to see the work of talented individuals. The problem that I have, is after I look at your work, and a few other gifted modelers on this forum, I stow my plans because I am concerned that I can't make that bar. That is just something that I have to get over, because I am NOT going to stop looking at the fine examples available here.

Matt
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.
Ah, Gary, my friend ... you've been using your eyes to "see" again ...
... and it shows in your modelwork!
Your distressing and coloration of the "wood" is A+ work, no ifs, ands or buts about it!

Thumbsup
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Gary,

Would you mind doing a tutorial? I would really like to know how you achieved that incredible wood look.

Matt
There is a little tutorial from a previous bridge build: http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic...=22&t=3341

On the team track, I used more gray and tan as the initial coat, then used black and brown washes over that.
"One thing about the concrete dust is that it has a high surface tension. Even 91% alcohol wants to bead up on the surface"...

What you're needing there is one part of Gern's concrete dust sulfanctant...It makes the mixture 3% more absorbent, and gives the right color...!!! Eek

I'll echo everyone's comments....That "woodwork" is fantastic..!! Thumbsup
Gus (LC&P).
Here's where this is now. The glue has dried for several days. The concrete powder looks pretty good, even without the GERN concrete stuff added! Big Grin

I think this will be a nice scene once the backdrop is painted, all the weeds and bushes are put in, and some old boards, tires, trash, and pallets are laid about.

Gary,

In my opinion, sometimes less is more. I love this scene. I can not wait to see pics of the finished product. '

This scene shows a digest of your layout. No Frills, Working Railroad. That is the truth of most modern prototypes, and (at least to my eyes) you have captured it perfectly!!

In my opinion, you have risen to the ranks of some of the other Elite modelers here.

Matt
Thanks Matt. Although I don't figure this "industry" will get a lot of traffic, it should be fun to work it, spot a couple of flat cars loaded with tractors at the dock.

Hopefully on Monday I can get back over to the prototype area and take some photos of the buildings in the distance, and then I can get started on the backdrop.
iis612 Wrote:The problem that I have, is after I look at your work, and a few other gifted modelers on this forum, I stow my plans because I am concerned that I can't make that bar. That is just something that I have to get over, because I am NOT going to stop looking at the fine examples available here. Matt

Matt......It was the work of greats like John Allen, Allen Armitage, and Jack Work, that inspired me, and left me doubting if I would ever "make that bar"..........it began here, in the mid 1950's:

.......and I still don't feel that I can touch "that bar" yet.
Inspiration should encourage you to try, never, should it be allowed to discourage. Just go for it.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Pete,

Of course, you are right. I, too, look at the greats and gain inspiration. I, like many others, am my own worst critic. Even if I create a scene that is nearly a snapshot of the prototype, I will be less than satisfied with it. Which, if I were to look at it the right way, means that I can continue to work on a scene for the life of the layout.

Now, back to the regularly scheduled greatness. Sorry Gary, didn't mean to hijack your threat.

Matt
Gary--

Really enjoy the posts of your progress on your layout; each new installment simply amazes me at the quality and forethought you're putting into each scene. My question: what are your plans for a fascia, if any? Just curious....

Al Cheers
Gary S Wrote:I think this will be a nice scene once the backdrop is painted, all the weeds and bushes are put in, and some old boards, tires, trash, and pallets are laid about.

I think it already is a beautiful scene. No doubt it will get even better with backdrop, weeds, bushes etc, but you have already captured the essence of the scene - this looks like a real railroad.

Btw - hope you guys don't mind me occasionally suggesting to people elsewhere that they better scoot over to the Gauge and have a look at your threads (and several other people's threads) for some tips on great looking backdrops, roads, rivers, bridges, houses and other scenes :-)

Grin,
Stein
steinjr Wrote:... hope you guys don't mind me occasionally suggesting to people elsewhere that they better scoot over to the Gauge and have a look at your threads (and several other people's threads) for some tips on great looking backdrops, roads, rivers, bridges, houses and other scenes :-) Grin, Stein

Why would we mind? You're just being a missionary of sorts, spreading the word of Big Blue. I talk it up at my club all the time ... and also on those (very) few occasions when I've gone up to Sarasota (84.77 miles) to my LHS to pick up a boxload of needed items (I always make the trip a worthwhile one.) They know I come a couple miles to see them (and usually an hour and 40-some minutes of driving) and I'm in no mood to pick up a couple items and head on out the door ... they pull up a stool and allow me to sit and have a cup of java and shoot the breeze for a bit before I head home. I always talk about the "family atmosphere," the friendly banter, the helpful photo tutorials and the great layouts. I'm going to try to print out some of those Big Blue "business cards" to hand out to folks.

You shouldn't feel bad about "spreading the word," and I doubt anyone here would voice an objection to a little verbal advertising!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Nicely done Gary! Nicely Done! Thumbsup
Gary...all of your work is truely an inspiration, and the way you bring the prototype to life, is really something special Worship
Absolutely AMAZING!!!!!! Thumbsup
Steve