BNSF Team Track in Houston
Thanks everyone. Around the layouot, I've been finishing up the few remaining pieces of trackwork that needed to be done, and I am anxious to finish carving the foam for the terrain. After that, I can actually do some of the groundcover and grass and bushes without the fear of the little blue particles getting entangled in everything.
Was over in the area today, saw this at the team track. I wonder if they actually unloaded cars on the dock. I wouldn't think so, as there is a huge "automobile unloading" place just down the street.

Gary S Wrote:Was over in the area today, saw this at the team track. I wonder if they actually unloaded cars on the dock. I wouldn't think so, as there is a huge "automobile unloading" place just down the street.

Its impossible to unload/load automobiles with such a ramp Wink At least not the upper deck(s).
Jens
I wonder if those were set out as Bad Order?

Matt
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.
No room at the auto dock and they set it out there for the time being?
Ralph
Gary S Wrote:Was over in the area today, saw this at the team track. I wonder if they actually unloaded cars on the dock. I wouldn't think so, as there is a huge "automobile unloading" place just down the street.

Gary, I pass through this area quite a bit and I believe this is where bad orders go. About a year ago there was a ATSF caboose placed here with a place card that said "condemned". I too have thought about modeling this area as it is kinda busy. If you go further down the street to Nelms st you will see UPFE refrigerator cars always being unloaded. These cars are seem to be replaced with a fresh load multiple times a week. I've been wanting to model these old cars for sometime now. There is a lot of activity there. Took some photos but cant seem to locate them.

Ps: Good job on your layout. Looks pretty darn good.
Welcome to the forum, AC87! Welcome

Good to see another Houstonian here at Big Blue. Alot of my layout is being modeled after the industrial park across from Hobby, and there is another industrial park on Mykawa toward the north, almost to 610. You've probably seen it.

As for the UPFE reefers, I haven't seen them, but I have seen lots and lots of ex-MR and ex-SF reefers remarked as SLC. They are filled with potatos being delivered to the Mountain King Potato facility. Some switching can be seen in this thread: http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic...=54&t=3747

here's a photo from there:

And one of the caboose you mentioned:

Again, welcome to the forum! Thumbsup
Ha! And I thought I was the only one taking photos out there! Gary Thanks for the warm welcome. Your right about those reefers. Looking forward to seeing more progress shots of your layout.
I would enjoy seeing the photos you have taken. Also, do you have a layout in progress or in the planning stages?

On the team track, I am currently painting in the backdrop... all those huge buildings to the west along Mykawa road. The progress so far is in this thread:

http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic...=44&t=4355
Welcome aboard AC87 Smile Smile Like he said - - Feel free to browse around and see all the great stuff here at Big Blue and if you can - We love to see other member's pictures!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Thanks again for the welcome Big Grin . Me and brothers semester just ended so we can finally get back to the layout. All we've done so far is lay the track, we’re in the process of reinforcing the table though. Then we'll begin putting up a divider. Our goal is to split the table allowing us to have both an industry and a mountain seen. I'll upload some pics once we put the divider up.
Welcome aboard AC87....you've landed in the right place for getting an idea on how to build a GREAT layout...!!!! From the ground up, so to speak... Goldth

Hope you can get some work done shortly, and share your experience with us. If there's something we like in our posts, it's lots'a pictures..!!
Gus (LC&P).
Looking good Gary!!

Asked a question on my thread too...It got me thinking...are all those types of docks all laid out in the same manner, meaning are the sloped sides always at the end of the track or is there a variety of layouts/designs? Perhaps someone has images of different types?
Here's a small dock, not a "team track", but associated with a private industry. It is all concrete, and the ramp comes up one side. I can get more photos of this if you want.

[Image: tangreenbuilding01.jpg]
Typically on a team track, the ramp will be in whatever position is most convenient for the installation. t is common for the ramp to be as is pictured to allow forklifts to climb up to the platform. Also it is typical for the side opposite the cars to be a dock that a truck can either back into or pull up beside depending on if they want to load through side doors or back doors. That facilitates transloading with a fork lift.