SSWUP ISL - Build
Thanks guys,

Been having major issues logging in of late... keep getting logged out evey time I open a new thread or page or try and post! deleted all cookies and it still happens.

I experimented with some trees, made a few from a Noch kit like Super Trees. I like the look but am not sold on the colour....almost look too "green" for my liking and stand out on the layout a bit. Need to try find a more olive green, ordering some WC Blended Turf in green next.

SSWUPinSA Wrote:....almost look too "green" for my liking and stand out on the layout a bit....
Do you have an airbrush? I did put a "mist" of diluted dark brown over some very green green some time ago to tune it down. That worked fine. It looked like the tips of the grass have been burned by the sun. Same should be fine with trees. But just a mist!
Reinhard
Hey Reinhard,

I tried the brown trick with some handy rattle can brown and dusted the tree lightly, the tree in the back has the brown on it and it did tone it down just fine...

As you can se I have been watering the grass a little too, still perfecting that and wil be adding static grass when I have the time.

Battling with logging on and now cannot upload pics from my tablet!!!???

SSWUPinSA Wrote:...I tried the brown trick with some handy rattle can brown and dusted the tree lightly,...
The result looks good and as long as you do it with a tree the rattle can is a nice solution. I did use the airbrush to tone down patches of grass on the layout. Would not dream about doing that with the rattle can.
Reinhard
Just joining this thread. Your layout looks grat. I'm building an ISL and I hope I can make it look as nice as your layout.
Still alive, will be posting a new video soon...waiting for a lot more Static grass too...
SSWUPinSA Wrote:http://youtu.be/1uRtUxDW9R4
Great!!!!! The closeup with the sound feels like the real thing. Very well done Thumbsup
Reinhard
Your layout is looking sweet! I enjoyed reading through this thread and learning a couple new things from you such as the marking of the rails with a highlighter to get a good transfer on a piece of board for cutting crossings and track laid in roads. Thanks for the tips, and keep up the great work! Thumbsup
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
:hey:
SSWUPinSA Wrote:I happened across this page <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.uprr.com/customers/equip-resources/cartypes/covered.shtml">http://www.uprr.com/customers/equip-res ... ered.shtml</a><!-- m --> which sums up COVERED HOPPER perfectly. Now I know what comodity will be delivered in what type of hopper... Round hatch, long hatch, phenumatic, gravity, gates, valves...all explained!

I have a full document of all of the UP data listed by car type; It is a PDF and is unfortunately too big to be attached to this post. I am happy to send the PDF or the original word document via email if you are interested in working the original document over for your own railroad.

Admission of guilt - I love railroad paperwork - so I always have something that I am working on. Unfortunately it was a little big for the forum so I have put the PDF file on my blog here:
http://www.huntervalleylines.com/RailroadPaperwork.aspx

You can download a copy of the PDF there if you are so interested.

Hope this helps someone.

Regards...
Regards
Andrew Martin
Visit the blog and the small layout design site: https://huntervalleylines.wordpress.com
For modelling articles and gallery (click Website button below)
Anyone remember me?

So, if you knew my layout you'll know I vanished... Life takes turns we don't expect and so I sold my Layout... Wondering if everyone who followed me is still around...lol

Seems i may have a fresh reason to look at another ISl....but in N Scale... will be popping my head in again shortly.

Callum
Nice to see your still among the living. :mrgreen:
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
Sure do I remember you and your ISL layout. Hope life has turned back into a bright illuminated avenue and the N scale ISL will be up and running soon.
Reinhard
Nice to see you back! Big Grin
I can't remember how I discovered you're thread but it introduced me to the Big Blue.
Looking forward to the next build.

PS: May I ask where in SA are you from and where you buy you're train stuff.

Cheers
Jacques
Thanks Guys,

Life has been challenging... hoping to start research, will be a while till I build again. Trying to research N-Scale a bit more, seems the details has improved greatly int he last few years and I think it will be a good scale to use. Not sure it lends itself to an ISL but it would be a step towards something bigger. I know most of you are HO guys but any reference would be appreciated. Looking to go code 40 rail but battling to find code 40 turnouts, only need like 9 of them.

Thinking of copying my exact track plan I had with a few minor changes, it worked really well and I didnt have a lot of time to really use it but switched well when I did.

Any reference to modern n-scle threads will be appreciated. Hoping to find someone who has n-scale Fast Tracks jigs to build some turnouts for me.

Cal