SSWUP ISL - Build
Hey Russ...that track in front of Trujillo will be paved like my raods and the Transload so it will glide over the rails... Icon_lol

Decided to start playing with a mock up for the non-rail served industry(or ex RSI) in front of Grace... Will be one industry in 2 pieces to allow a view of Grace and the cars for un-coupling... Be sort of a paved service area with crates and bins, loads od plastic pipes or something and a place to turn a truck or 2...(Imagination)

SSWUPinSA Wrote:...Decided to start playing with a mock...

That looks very good. Looking at your mock ups and Fat Carr's photos of slab structures makes me rethinking if I am really doing what I want...
Reinhard
Its looking good
Was messing around on Google Earth and by chance saw this building...and I liked it....which I think will work for in front of Grace...

So I quickly made this....

It's a bit taller than the prototype but I litterally cut the front off the old mock-up and detailed it to get the feeling...I think it will work and when its a bit lower it will open up the view to Grace which is a main feature on this side of the layout..

(PS: Whats the length of an HO scale truck and trailer, one that would be found at Inland Container??)
I'm not sure about Inland Container, but typically container companies (as in companies that make and transport cans, bottles, and boxes as opposed to sea going containers) will have their trucks and trailers sized to the type of container they haul. Typically tin cans and plastic bottles that are empty are very light weight, but high in volume. Trailers will be 53 feet long and frequently have a "drop bottom" between the tractor and the trailer wheels like a moving van. They may even have a single drive axle on the tractor since the weight is not sufficient to require 5 axles. On the other hand, card board boxes are typically shipped in flat bundles and are quite heavy. They would probably be shipped in 53 foot trailers, but no drop centers, and probably only loaded to 1/2 of the inside height available. All of the tractors pulling a load of cardboard would have 3 axles.
The WR Grace facility is excellent. Love all the tanks and such. Here is a link to a thread on "Univar Chemicals" which is similar to the Grace facility. Perhaps you can get some ideas for detailing your tanks and structure.

http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic...lit=univar
Thanks for the link Gary. As always I would like to than all those who take time to comment and post both here and on thier own threads...it makes a world of difference and if not for this forum I would NEVEr be able to model Industrial America from darkest Africa...

As for the trucks, I have the correct Truck but want to find rthe right trailer like the ones used at Indand below. Yes they will carry fattened boxes and cardboard containers that get heavy fairly quickly...

I Have some of these and need the right trailer...also what length more or less is a full length truck and trailer like this(in HO scale terms)

Put Athearn Trailers into ebay .com - I guess that what you need are 53' Duraplate trailers, based on that photo - there are also some 40' parcel trailers with dropped bottoms, that may fill your needs.HIH
Jack
EDIT - Also try HO scale trailers as a search item - but beware resin castings - there have been a LOT of complaints on various forums about quality, air holes and flash
The trailer in the center of that picture is unusual. It looks like it has a reefer on the nose. That isn't unusual in itself, but reefers make most of their revenue hauling perishables to big cities. They haul dry freight, like cardboard, carpet, can goods, etc. as a "back haul" to pay for the fuel and expenses to get back to where they can pick up another perishable load. Texas is one of the states known for agriculture, and I would expect most reefers in Texas to be hauling perishables out of the state or across the state rather than picking up a back haul. The only thing that occurs to me is that a perishables distributor may be picking up boxes to pack the produce or boxed beef in for shipment out of the state.
Hi Guys,

Was looking at Gary's thread on the BNSF dock in Houston. It got me thinking...are all those types of docks laid out in the same manner, meaning are the sloped sides always at the end of the track or is there a variety of layouts/designs? Perhaps someone has images of different types?
Can anyone identify the make and model of those trucks at the Inland facility, image above???
Top left is an Ottawa tractor with the half cab
Your simple, but realistic structures are an inspiration to us all. They are similar to ones I have switched.

Thanks, for sharing.

Barry
Thanks Barry,

I am trying to make structures that are fairly close to the ones I will make out of styrene with all the details. I just don't want to got to all the time and effort of making the structures only to find out things don't fit or they look out of place. I'd rather take some time in making these and get the balance right and be 100% commited to the final build. Maybe if anyone is interested I will make a small tutorial on how to make the mock-ups fairly easily?? Lets see who is interested...
Yes, please!