Pandorum Stage II
Reconstruction commences...pictures to follow.
I can guarantee that you have and audience of at least one !!!!
This is one time where "building walls" is not a bad thing. Waveof7 2285_ Cheers Cheers
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Walls, ceiling, electric, air conditioner...oh...yeah...and maybe someplace to sit. Thumbsup

This part should go faster, but while I'm doing that during the day, Stage IIIa - layout design - is also underway. 35
Now comes the fun parts....Planning & building..!!
I haven't got through those parts yet, and have been at it for about 9 years.... 357
Gus (LC&P).
Steamtrains Wrote:Now comes the fun parts....Planning & building..!!
I haven't got through those parts yet, and have been at it for about 9 years.... 357

For me, the fun parts are, building, and building again......layout planning is about as useful to me as an extra earlobe... Nope , the fun for me is in the building, so if I have to rebuild ?....that's just more fun.
Walls ?,---------------------------------------------------------------------------Check.
ceiling ?,--------------------------------------------------------------------------Check.
electric ?,-------------------------------------------------------------------------Check.
air conditioner ?,----------------------------------------------------------------Check.
and maybe someplace to sit ?.-------------------------------------------------Check, and double check.
Coffee pot, or 'fridge to keep a cool one or two in--------------------------Check, and double check.
Running trains ?, ----------------------------------------------------------------Are we there yet? !!! 357 357
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Dear Diary:

I'm perplexed. I have removed a couple of hundred nails and twice as many staples from the trailer's interior framework so far, and I have encountered some truly weird construction practices.
Maybe if I write it down I'll feel better.

Is there such a thing as Fastener Fetish? I think there must be; otherwise, this makes no sense. How many fasteners does it rake to secure a single sheet of thin plywood? Aren't nails enough? How about nails and staples? How about nails, staples and screws? How about some really tough adhesive before any of the fasteners? And where can I buy some of that adhesive? The plywood has lost it's structural strength after fifty-plus years of hard service, but that glue just keeps on sticking, and yet the best stuff I can buy today wants to fall apart in no time. Probably some prehistoric recipe involving the boiling down of dead horses.

Another question I have for you, Diary, is why the insulation was put on from the outside, and then stapled down, and then the siding fastened over that from the outside with nails and screws? Does it hold better? If so, why do they need all those staples? And by the way, why is the insulation installed backwards? the printing on the outside of it, against the trailer's outside wall. clearly says "THIS SIDE TOWARDS OCCUPIED LIVING SPACE"... :? Is this one of those tricks of the industry, and if so...what does it do?

Well, that's all for today, Diary. I have to go and cut off large nails and screws that stick INTO the trailer...maybe tomorrow we can talk about the purpose of those. Icon_lol
Welcome to the world of "trailer living" where there are minimal codes because the house trailer was built in a factory by unskilled labor, not by a contractor with skilled workers who have to have a local building inspector sign off on everything they do.
You're telling me...and this particular travel trailer was built in the mid-sixties! Confusedhock:
MountainMan Wrote:You're telling me...and this particular travel trailer was built in the mid-sixties! Confusedhock:

Icon_lol Icon_lol Hey!, be nice now, a good part of my life, was "built in the mid sixties", and not by a "skilled worker", it was my first try at "life-building". Icon_twisted Big Grin Big Grin
Come to think of it.........I s'pose it'll be my only try . Eek Confusedhock: Icon_twisted
Technically speaking, I am now in Stage IIA, in which I struggle mightily to come up with a coherent track plan. 35

Sigh....
It's doodle time..!!!

I haven't come up with the plan for the peninsula on my layout....Been at it for a couple of months now..... :oops:
Gus (LC&P).
Yeah...I'm once again fighting with XTrkCad in a vain effort to produce a plan on paper instead of just winging, which I often do.
can you post a picture of the space (even just a drawing) and a quick list of what you want to do with it? (point-to-point, a module that connects with the rest of the railroad, or self contained layout?)
When I hear the iron horse make the hills echo with his snort like thunder, shaking the earth with his feet, and breathing fire and smoke from his nostrils, it seems as if the earth had got a race now worthy to inhabit it.

-- Henry David Thoreau
If I can figure out how to move an image from XTrkCad to this forum... :?