Sketches of ISLs That I'm Playing With
I'll have 2 48x10 inch pieces of wood that are left over from the 4x8 sheet that was used for my 76x38 inch Port Able layout. I attached them end to end and came up with these sketches using Atlas HO code 83 track for a possible separate freelance ISL (Maybe another of the Port Able's sister operations - a contract switching operation perhaps?), but feel free to use my track plan. There can be a hinge in the middle so that the layout will fold in half for storage and transportation purposes.

Sketch 1
[Image: 6886531809_f887fcb300_b.jpg]

Sketch 2
[Image: 6886531939_70a1576582_b.jpg]

I didn't have room for text in the track plan for sketch 2, so I'm leaving a description below to describe how I envision the layout.

The Top Track (24 inches long) is a food processor (tank cars, reefers, covered hoppers, box cars).

The track that is second from the top (63 inches long) is a storage track and a manufacturing company (box cars, tank cars, flat cars, gondolas, coil cars).

The track that is third from the top (51.25 inches long) is the interchange track.

The bottom track (45 inches long)is a storage track and building supply or a public works storage yard (cement hoppers, hoppers, flat cars, all door box cars, box cars, gondolas).

I figure that the engine could be stored on the storage track before the manufacturing company and up to 4 cars could be interchanged.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Hi Mike,

Looks pretty (proto)typical in terms of ISLs. Some questions -

What are your goals for this? Will it be connected in some way to Port Able?
Scale? (I assume HO.)
Location? Era?

Andrew
I might make this a separate ISL down the road. I'm editing the post to answer your questions.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Mike,I would shorten the industry tracks and allow at least 3' (one piece of flex track)for headroom on the first switch.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
I'll give it a try.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

The best Drill Track length that I could come up with was 31.5 inches long. How about this one?

[Image: 6892657417_7e9d2db1ba_b.jpg]
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Mike,First I will apologize for not getting back to you..I plum forgot about this topic no excuses other then poor memory.

31.5" will work and give you headroom to work-that should be 3 50' cars and Geep size engines.

If I may..My son and I have the bench work for Slate Creek built and stored in his garage till I decide if I want to use a 8' folding table,wall brackets or legs.The table will give me room for my Tech 6,car cards and waybills plus a place to sit my coffee or pop.

By actual track layout I can use a full 36" piece of flex track but,Slate Creek is 10' long.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Don't worry Larry. I haven't been on the forum too much lately. Things have been off the hook crazy for me lately.

I was even thinking that 31.5 inches would work for a switcher and 3 cars, but I would probably only run a switcher and 2 cars.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Mike,Yes 31.5" will fit your neds perfectly since you're using a switcher.. Thumbsup
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry