Where do i begin???
Finally settled in the new house(built in 2006,foreclosure)Now it's time to start thinking about what i want to to with the space i have avaliable in the basement.It's approximately 50' long by 36' wide.I'm still planning a "switching" layout,cause i really don't want to get into the cost of building a around the walls type layout,I'm still gonna be on a budjet,and will most likely consist of 1x4 lumber.
I am proposing a 5' wide by 45' long open grid type benchwork.I don't plan on having a backdrop,and most buildings for the most part will be full scale(auto parts suppliers,storage warehouses,stamping plants,bulk transfer facility,etc.I also plan on incorporating street running,and basically a industrial park type setting.

Plus i need to leave room for the 300+ 1/24th & 1/18th scale diecast Muscle cars and NHRA dragsters and funnycars(preferably the whole length of the wall(shelf units)...How-ever i have also considered a layout plan in Model Railroader magazine.Once i find the diagram of it i'll post it.

As you can see in the pics,the 5 100 watt bulb receptacles will be replaced with flouresent lighting 36" long and i will be adding a small 5 track 10' staging yard at the end.

Btw,I am 1 block away from the CSX Mainline and i can watch the trains go by from my back porch,or i can drive to the crossing and railfan all day long...how cool is that?

Attached Files Image(s)

Don Shriner
There are some nice layout designs at Lance Mindheim's site:http://www.shelflayouts.com/
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)
Ahhh, look at that big blank canvas! Thumbsup
I've never heard anyone say, "Gee, sure glad I DIDN'T finish my basement before building the layout!" So that's my advice.

:hey: Finish the basement. You'll be really glad you did. You may not miss it if you never do it, but if you ever do you may think, "Why didn't I do this sooner?" (Sooner = before all the stuff gets moved down there and has to be shifted around in order to finish the basement.)

If you decide what area will be your workbench, then you can get that set up first in order to work on models while finishing the basement BEFORE building the layout. Yes, even a little switching layout. I know, it looks spacious and wonderful right now, but live in it a while and you'll see how much dust drifts down from the rafters, how many 8-legged critters settle in, how the walls weep, etc. and what you need to do in order to make a warm, dry, clean and well lit space in which to enjoy your trains.

Like I said, get the workbench going, finish the basement, and while all that is happening, sketch some plans if you haven't already. But don't just work on a layout plan and THEN start finishing the basement. You may be tempted to just start building the layout. RESIST this temtpation - you may never get the basement finished! Start finishing the basement WHILE planning so that when the plan is ready the basement will be too.

Okay...maybe a little more than 2 cents... :oops: Smile

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Don't build the layout until you know what you want. You'll just be spinning your tires and starting over as new ideas come to you. There's nothing wrong with planning for years before starting construction.
Wow, that is one great space! The previous advice about finishing the room is most wise. It sucks, I know, but open ceilings rain dirt like crazy. Even there, I'd do a section at a time and get some flourescent tube lighting. As for the layout, keep it sectional, movable, and with an eye towards later expansion. Meantime, Oughta even hang some kind of cheap curtain in front of all those neat cars to keep dust from building up on them.
Justinmiller171 Wrote:There are some nice layout designs at Lance Mindheim's site:http://www.shelflayouts.com/

While you're there, check out his blog postings on planning & building a layout...all the decisions that go into it before a stick of lumber is cut or pencil hits paper.

Galen
I'll "third" the advice on finishing the space. A ceiling, lights, and finished walls will do wonders.
Even if you don't plan a detailed backdrop (like Gary S's), you should paint the walls a sky blue. If you're likely to re-sell in the next 20 years, a uniform colour might be best.
Absolutely finish the room.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
I agree finish the room and then study on your layout needs based on your modeling interest then design the layout remembering less is best on a switching layout since you need room for scenery such as trailer lots,access roadsindustry buildings to include the car spot(s) and realistic track approach from the switch.

Avoid unrealistic switchbacks that contains a industry-unless its a nonrail served industry.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Finish the space first as has already been recommended, then when you have settled on a track plan, put down track & roadbed without ballast first and operate the layout without scenery and with some mock ups as simple as old boxes to represent industries to see how the layout operates before committing to scenery, ballast, and structures. The less scenery that you need to rip up to make changes the easier it is to make changes for the layout to operate better. No matter how carefully you plan for every contingency, you will probably find some things that you want to change after you try it out.

You said that you were not planning for a back drop or around the walls, but that you planned for 5 x 45 feet. You will need access to both sides of the layout because you can't reach much over 2 feet from a table edge. I would suggest 4 x 45 feet with a 5 foot bulge at each end if you want continuous run possibilities for turn back curves. Then put a "back drop" down the center turning your 5 x 45 foot space into 90 feet of industries. Don't forget to allow for at least 36 inch aisles on each side. Having them narrow down to 24 inches at the 5 foot wide ends would not be a problem. If you just want an out and back point to point, a 5 foot bulge at only one end will allow a generous turn back curve to get from one side to the other. By the way the center back drop does not need to go all the way to the ceiling, just be high enough that you can't see over it from a normal viewing angle. If the layout is set at chest height, a 24 inch high back drop is probably high enough to serve as a view block.
Thanks for all the replys guys!I guess it would make alot of sense to finish the basement first,expecially the rafters.Wouldn't want my switching layout to be covered in dirt and dust Nope I wasn't figuring in that cost at all,oh well i already have all my rolling stock and engines,etc.Although i have pondered the thought of building the layout with incadesent lighting mounted to the benchwork itself,and a over head dust cover running the length of the layout.Kinda like the "Sweet Home Chicago" layout,where everything is mounted to the layout itself...remember guys i'm on a budjet. Wink How-ever,The diecast cars will need a dust-free space to park,just thinking about it all i see are $$$!!!Wow,alot to think about :?
Don Shriner
here is a link to a Model railroader layout called Huron Terminal <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://mrr.trains.com/How%20To/Track%20Plan%20Database/2010/10/The%20Huron%20Terminal.aspx">http://mrr.trains.com/How%20To/Track%20 ... minal.aspx</a><!-- m --> How-ever you will have to be a subscriber to Modell Railroader to view it.It's pretty much what i'm going for,even though it will require a backdrop all the way around the layout.What do ya think?
Don Shriner
Don,A interesting fact about the Huron Terminal that me and a buddy figured out.

It can be operated as 3 different "districts" or "jobs"..

Its a great ISL.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
The built-in dust cover idea is a good one. George Sellios uses something similar, I believe, to protect the Franklin & South Manchester during the part of the year when he is making dust in the shop preparing a new FSM kit. Built in-lighting, a full overhead valance, and a dust cover for the open area between valance and fascia would make a tidy layout.

However, if you're going to all that trouble, it would seem like six of one, half-dozen of another to just go ahead and do the whole room. Then you won't need all that for the layout and you'll be happier in the space. I'm VERY glad my wife convinced me to utilize our bonus room space for my layout & workbench vs. our garage. Some of the same reasons at work there. I could have spent time and money painting and sealing and partitioning off part of the garage, then wiring lights, etc. But since I accepted the limitations of a smaller layout I have been happy to build it inside where it's warm in the winter and cool in the summer, and dusting isn't a constant battle against the outdoors.

Galen