My freelance ho scale layout I am building
I sent you a private message.
Don Shriner
The plan Don posted looks like the "Huron Terminal" track plan from Model Railroader Magazine, about a year ago or so. If so, it is 12 x 17 feet or so. 3 foot aisle on the right, 30" aisle on the right, about 42" aisle along top, #6 turnouts, minimum radius 18".

Stein
I never got it.
Here ya go,just download and open with Acrobat reader.
Don Shriner
Hi Don --

If you want to share a copyrighted track plan from a magazine, I would suggest that you either send your copy of the magazine (or cut out the pages in question and send them) to the person you want to share with, or tell him what issue it was in, so he can get his own copy.

The link to the track plan in Kalmbach's subscribers only section is here: http://mrr.trains.com/How%20To/Track%20P...minal.aspx

The back issue containing Mark Olstyn article "Urban Switching in H0" (with the track plan drawn by a graphic artist at Kalmbach) can be purchased from the publishers here: http://trc.trains.com/Train%20Magazine%2...sueId=6600

Smile,
Stein
hi,
a nice plan, though i would make a remark about it.
A nice bridge at the entrance of your room build as a swing bridge. At the very same time Huron yard at the top is not connected with the warehouse district at the other side of the street.
If you flip the orientation of the layout in the room the entrance could be between Huron yard and the warehouse district. Or if you only flip Huron yard 180 degrees and connect it directly with the warehouse district you would not need the bridge at all.
Just some thoughts
Paul
I have decided to build the track plan that has been shown to me it is the huron termanial I may make a few changes to it. I will be using code 83 track. It will be peco flex track with all the turnouts being made using my fasttracks jigs. hope to have some progress pic up by tommrow night. Might even have some up tonight depends on how much my 2 year old lets me get done. 2285_
steinjr Wrote:Hi Don --

If you want to share a copyrighted track plan from a magazine, I would suggest that you either send your copy of the magazine (or cut out the pages in question and send them) to the person you want to share with, or tell him what issue it was in, so he can get his own copy.

The link to the track plan in Kalmbach's subscribers only section is here: http://mrr.trains.com/How%20To/Track%20P...minal.aspx

The back issue containing Mark Olstyn article "Urban Switching in H0" (with the track plan drawn by a graphic artist at Kalmbach) can be purchased from the publishers here: http://trc.trains.com/Train%20Magazine%2...sueId=6600

Smile,
Stein
Oops,I didn't even notice it till you pointed that out,so i removed it. :oops:
Don Shriner
Went back through all my model railroad maggazens and found the one with the huron terminal in it have been working all day on the bench work. I got a lot done today and got lucky some of the bench work I had built allrready will work with this track plan. I hope to have some pic of what I have done up tommrow. the wife is getting off work now and wants to go to the olive garden for dinner because we do not have the baby tonight. So I got done about all I can today hope tommrow I can get a lot more done. I think this track plan will keep me busy. I cant wait to get some track down and start running some trains I really want to run my broad way limmited sw7 that my wife got me for christmas. See you all later tonight or tommrow. 2285_
Glad to hear it.That is one of the resons why i sudjested the track plan,cause i seen the configuration of your benchwork in your picture.Looks like it will be a pretty good fit to me.Hope ya got alot of switchs,and flextrack. Big Grin Lookin' forward to seeing your progress.
Don Shriner
I will build the swiches and I think I will need to make a trip to the hobby shop this weekend for some more flex track.
Well got some more done tonight then the battery on the drill went dead so will have to wait till tommrow. I hope to have the last part of the bench work done this weekend. Then I will be able to start laying track. 2285_
Are you going with a plywood base,or are ya gonna add a foam(insulation board)base to your benchwork?
Don Shriner
Ok guys I have a ? I am going to be using the track plan that has been posted here. I would like to know should I put cork road bed under the track or just lay the track on the layout base. I would thnk that I would not need the cork road bed as this is a swiching layout and not like a main line track. thank you guys for all your help
lears2005 Wrote:Ok guys I have a ? I am going to be using the track plan that has been posted here. I would like to know should I put cork road bed under the track or just lay the track on the layout base. I would thnk that I would not need the cork road bed as this is a swiching layout and not like a main line track. thank you guys for all your help

It would depend on what sort of area you are modeling even if it is freelance. I am going to model the Los Angeles Junction Rwy. On a recent rail fanning expedition with another LAJ fan and Reinhard when he visited So Cal I noticed that there was absolutely no sign of ballast anywhere on the LAJ.

The shop where I worked before I retired, we were adjacent to the U.P. main line in City of Industry, Ca. As you can probably guess by the name, COI is mostly industrial. Many of the industries are served by rail. COI is located in the Pamona-Walnut Valley between to low ridges. On the North side of the valley is the old S.P. main line out of Colton, and to the South side of the valley is the U.P. mainline. Both are now U.P. mains. Both mainlines are well ballasted, but the industrial leads drop down off the ballast and run in the dirt or in asphalt where they cross parking lots.