MR track plan contest
EDIT: This post was originally submitted in January. Shortly after I posted it, it was brought to my attention by several concerned members that the exposure here could hurt my chances of winning if MR were to discover it. With that in mind, I decided to follow the suggested advice and removed it. Now, after 5 months of waiting and not so much as a "thanks for your entry" from them, it has turned out that I didn't win... in fact, I didn't even place. So, without further adieu, let's bring this puppy back.

The Magnum and Moon Valley Takes Shape!
An idea born for a family but fine tuned for competition

Most model railroaders I know have a common dream. That dream is for the next layout to be just a little bit bigger and a little bit better than the last. I am no exception. Even though I have taken over the dining room with my DR Deep Creek, I’ve already got plans to sacrifice that one for the next. You see, my wife currently occupies 200 square feet of our family room with her office. Lately, since the Phoenix office now employees more than one person, she has been toying with the idea of moving her office out of our home into… an ACTUAL office. If this takes place, I have been given permission to stake claim on that space for my next bigger, better layout! I wasted no time in designing my next “dream” layout to fit every inch of the hopeful new space.

July of this year (2008), I was flipping through the latest MR magazine issue when a rather bold title across the top of a single page caught my eye…a track plan contest!

[Image: image.php?album_id=6&image_id=271]

I must say, the idea sounded intriguing and I had been tinkering around with that new layout idea. I’ve also dreamed of submitting something to MRR ever since I was a kid. So, I decided to take the plan I’d been working on, massage it a little, and see if I couldn’t turn it into a prize winning entry. Also, the chance at winning first prize wouldn’t make me rich overnight but all the same was still appealing!

[Image: image.php?album_id=6&image_id=272]

Another key point of interest across the bottom of the page was the deadline. Since I decided to get serious about this entry, I had only three months to pull it all together.

[Image: image.php?album_id=6&image_id=273]

Rules! Of course, every contest has to have a few rules. Here’s the fine print…
[Image: image.php?album_id=6&image_id=274]

Basically, there’s nothing too restrictive in there except the fact that the whole thing has to be 200 square feet or less including access and aisle ways. Without any further delay, following is requirement E – a brief, written description to accompany the plans.

Introduction
Hello! I’m addicted to trains! I’ve been interested in trains ever since my father and an Uncle helped me build my first layout. I was eight years old then and have been infatuated ever since. Now it’s my turn to give back to the hobby as I am sharing my enthusiasm with my two sons.

Since I became interested in trains, I have designed and built eleven layouts. They have ranged from pizza layouts to coffee table layouts and advanced to my current layout which occupies prime real estate along two walls of our dining room. My wife is very supportive of my hobby and contributes her skills on occasion.

Planning goals
The Magnum and Moon Valley, when built, will be our twelfth layout. Rather than design an improved variation of our last layout, I want to bust out of the mold and really try something different. My ever expanding family has given me the perfect inspiration to try just that. My wife and I have two young boys (ages 3 and 6). They both love playing with trains as much as I do. However, the problem is that I model mostly N scale and tinker with HOn3, while HO is a more enjoyable scale for boys of their ages. Thus, I started toying with the idea of how to design a single, cohesive layout to accommodate two scales and two gauges, yet not look awkward combined within the same layout. I want the scales spatially separated vertically and horizontally by at least four inches. I shall accomplish this with the help of forced perspective and continuous scenery between the levels to keep them separate, and tied together at the same time. Below is a very basic graphical representation of what I am trying to explain...

[Image: 01tempprofile.jpg]

My first goal is to have a small part of the layout where my boys can actively participate by independently running their own trains. Their part of the layout will consist of an easy to operate and interesting DC, HO loop (30” above floor level) with one passing siding. The HO loop would be located on the lowest level of the layout closest to the outside edge for easy access. On a side note, when we visit other layouts, my boys always seem especially interested in following the trains even when they disappear from view underneath a layout and inside tunnels. To incorporate that, I plan on making a large section of the HO line in a tunnel, half exposed at the edge of the layout in a cutaway view that would show detailed, rock lined interiors and an interactive subway scene. To further enhance the underground experience, I plan on creating two kid cavern corridors underneath the layout so they can follow along as the trains pass through the wooden infrastructure.

On a recent family vacation to Durango, CO and Chama, NM, I became very interested in narrow gauge railroads. As a result, I purchased an HOn3 engine and some rolling stock. I don’t however, have anywhere to run them. Therefore, my second goal is to incorporate a dog bone loop of DCC, HOn3 (34” above floor level) with some light switching opportunities. This will be offset four inches above the HO line below.

As I grow older, my interest in “just watching the trains go ‘round n ‘round” has lessened while my desire to imitate prototypical operations has increased. Therefore, my final goal for this layout will be to have the majority of the upper level occupied by DCC, N scale capable of continuous mainline running AND operations.

Construction and scenery techniques
This layout will be built in 10 sections (see framing plan below) for ease of transport if the need ever arises. The structure of the layout will rest on wheels so the entire assembly can be pulled away from the wall for those rare occasions when access to the hidden tracks on the backside is needed. My current layout is built this way and it works well.

[Image: image.php?album_id=6&image_id=280]
[Image: 01tempframingplan.jpg]

The supporting framework will be built using 2 x 2’s for the vertical supports, 1 x 4’s for the outside framing and ¾ x 1 ½’s for cross supports roughly every foot. The framing will be topped with homasote to support the track work and 1” foam to support the scenery. The majority of the scenery will be built up by shaping and carving the foam and by applying plaster cloth over wadded newspapers.

Special scenic features
As each consist is dispatched from Magnum Yard, it will follow a natural progression from scene to scene. Along this journey, the railroad will depart the urban city scene of Magnum, travel through the countryside, and return back after passing under the fictitious Mount-Ian.

[Image: image.php?album_id=6&image_id=281]
[Image: 01temppresentation.jpg]

The first of several notable features along the trip starts with the city scene of Magnum. Since the central focus
will be the rail yard, Magnum will exist mostly as a wide city scene backdrop with building facades of various depths against the backdrop to portray a deeper scene. Several of those facades will be deep enough to sit over the top of three hidden staging tracks.

Another notable feature will be Echo Canyon. The canyon will be placed at a location on the layout where it can take full advantage of both scales and both gauges passing in close proximity to offer an impressive scene. As the canyon will progress around the corner into view and towards the edge of the layout, it will first encounter the HOn3 line emerging near the back from a rock framed tunnel. The HOn3 will then precariously claw its way along the cliff to finally cross over Babble Creek on a rickety, curved trestle. Meanwhile, high overhead, three N scale mainlines will cross the canyon on two different truss bridges. Finally, as the creek cascades its way down through the canyon and under the various bridges, it will makes its final exit off scene by passing under the final bridge of the HO line.

Near the town of Moon Valley, we encounter a third notable feature. As the dual, N scale main lines pass below the town, they will sweep out over the valley on a long, curved, stone viaduct. Since I have not found any prototypical reproductions that fit my requirements, I plan on scratch building this feature.

Finally, just past Moon Valley, the scenery will change to a very rocky, mountainous scene. I have always wanted to incorporate cable cars into a layout and the mountain scene will be just the place for that opportunity. The first cable car station is located just outside the city limits of the town while the terminus station rests high atop Mount-Ian at 55” above floor level.

The following two graphics were created to help simplify understanding the layout. Having it all combined on one graphic can be a little overwhelming so I pulled out first, the HO level, and second, the HOn3 level, to show you what parts of the layout would be associated with ONLY those scales and gauges.
HO...
[Image: 01tempHOonly.jpg]

HOn3...
[Image: 01tempHOn3only.jpg]

Specifications
When designing this layout, I knew I did not have the space for large turnouts, large radii or low grades while still packing in as much as I wanted. I also did not want to design a layout that larger N scale engines and long trains could not operate on. With that in mind, I chose the following standards - all turnouts are Peco #6’s (HO, HOn3 & N) except one #4 (N) which leads to an industry in Moon Valley. Minimum radii are 12” for N scale except one 11” radius below Moon Valley. Minimum radii for HO & HOn3 are 18”. Throughout the entire layout, I maintained a layout depth of 2’-4” with the exception of the two back corners of Magnum Yard which stretches just a bit more. Grades are only 2% on the N scale line between Magnum Yard and Moon Valley. HO & HOn3 have no grades. Due to the configuration of the layout, I was able to work in an HO mainline of 31’, an HOn3 mainline of 41’-2” and an N scale mainline that has a total run of 120’-5”.

Operating concept
As mentioned above, one of the goals for this layout is to have the ability for continuous running and/or operations. With two gauges, two scales and the configuration of the N scale track, this layout has been designed to accommodate continuous running of four unattended trains. It will also support additional switching operations in Magnum Yard as well as Moon Valley. To keep things simple for my boys, the HO line will be wired for DC while the rest of the layout will be wired for DCC. In addition to the regular commodities a railroad distributes on a daily basis, specific items to be transported shall include livestock, rocks and minerals, lumber and passengers.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Image: image.php?album_id=6&image_id=275]
And that’s all I had to say about that! Personally, I think my chances of winning first place are pretty slim. I have committed a very large “no no” in the world of model railroading and that’s combining different scales on the same layout even though I did my best to separate them. Several suggested I simplify my layout to only one scale for better chances at winning. I declined and kept it the way it was as if I had changed it, it would no longer have been a layout for me and my boys. Contest results will not be published until May of 2009.
Some of you probably remember the 1:1,920 scale model I built in the early track planning stages on the other site...

[Image: image.php?album_id=6&image_id=279]

[Image: image.php?album_id=6&image_id=278]

[Image: image.php?album_id=6&image_id=277]

[Image: image.php?album_id=6&image_id=276]
Trucklover Wrote:Just one question though, and i might have missed the answer so i apologize if you have already said this, but what did you use to create this plan with? I really like all the drawings and they look VERY close to the ones that MR uses in there mags Thumbsup Thumbsup
I used AutoCAD to draft/draw it and then I plugged in a program called Mcolor to "pretty" it up. I had no clue as to how MR received drawings and then transferred them to what we see in the articles and so I figured the closer I made mine look to theirs, the better my chances were. Good logic, bad logic... I dunno but it's what I did.
TrainNut Wrote:
Trucklover Wrote:Just one question though, and i might have missed the answer so i apologize if you have already said this, but what did you use to create this plan with? I really like all the drawings and they look VERY close to the ones that MR uses in there mags Thumbsup Thumbsup
I used AutoCAD to draft/draw it and then I plugged in a program called Mcolor to "pretty" it up. I had no clue as to how MR received drawings and then transferred them to what we see in the articles and so I figured the closer I made mine look to theirs, the better my chances were. Good logic, bad logic... I dunno but it's what I did.

I think MR will look at it and realize how much time and effort you put into the drawling. I think you have a good chance in the competition!! Good Luck Thumbsup 2285_ Thumbsup

PS. I think it was wise of you to pull your original post Thumbsup Misngth this way it keeps your plan original Thumbsup
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
It is a nice plan.
Good move on your part to remove it.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Well, I just got the May issue in the mail and they have only revealed the third place winner. Hopefully that means I've gotten first or second place... OR, I didn't place at all. The fact that I've received no correspondence from them whatsoever, makes me lean towards the latter.
From what I've read in MR...Anything you submit to them becomes essentially theirs, so communication with you is the last thing on their minds.... :evil:
Gus (LC&P).
I'm sure they would have let you know, if you had even made it to the top three.
There's always next year.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
EDIT: This post was originally submitted in January. Shortly after I posted it, it was brought to my attention by several concerned members that the exposure here could hurt my chances of winning if MR were to discover it. With that in mind, I decided to follow the suggested advice and removed it. Now, after 5 months of waiting and not so much as a "thanks for your entry" from them, it has turned out that I didn't win... in fact, I didn't even place. So, without further adieu, let's bring this puppy back.
I'm really surprised that you didn't get any recognition in that contest. Your track plan was great, but more so, your submission plans were as professional as I've seen anywhere.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
That's a bummer, but you gotta admit you gave it your best shot, and then some.

Loren
I got my first train when I was three,
put a hundred thousand miles on my knees.
It would have been nice of them to at least mention that they received your entry! Nope

Oh well, you did a very nice looking presentation. Impressive work. I like the whole concept. Thumbsup

Ralph
That's a shame. I really think you have a creative plan, and wished it got more consideration than it did. You presented it professionally, and obviously put a lot of work into your design. I still think it was a positive thing that you enetered

Now for my broader commentary:
Sometimes I think the judges and editors of these concepts have the winners in mind before they even look at the first entry. This limits the objectivity of the judging. This is not a critique of Model Railroader or Kalmbach, because they are in the business of selling magazines. Obviously, they will choose the winners based upon what fits their editorial philosophy and which entries they feel will sell the the most magazines. There were probably many entries that were as good as yours, but simply did not fit the mold of what they were looking for. Had this contest been held in 1975, i think your entry would have received much higher consideration. I am not saying your design is in any way outdated; but the focus of Model Railroader and the hobby has changed since then.

In 1975, people were happy simply having a GP-38. Now, they worry about specific details and phases, and get frustrated when manufacturers get something a little off. In 1975, the 4x8 oval was on the way out, but in its place were trackplans based on visual curiosity, but still contained the continuous running. Free-lancing was more in vogue, and the trackplans you saw in Model Railroader reflected those values. Today there seems to be more of an emphasis toward prototype modeling. Manufacturers have become more specific in their offerings. Trackplans reflect this too, as Model Railroader tends to publish around-the walls shelf type layouts that may or may not have continuous running via a duck under or lift-out. The plans seem to have a mainline that only crosses a scene once, and more prototypical siding arrangements and spacings.

In 1975 it seems like the emphasis was on doing something different and being creative, and now the emphasis is more towards being faithful to the prototype. My guess is the judges of this contest saw the multiple scales of your layout and thought that was too nontraditional for their contest. That doesn't mean it was a bad idea or not something the majority of readers would have enjoyed; it simply means it wasn't what the judges were looking for.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Cheers

First off, a great track plan! I'll have to check out the winners as they come out. I've never been one for multiple scale plans, but yours really seems to have real promise and great potential. Thumbsup

Second, a brief moment on a soap box. MR may be in the business of selling magazines, but their mission and vision should be to inspire and educate the public and modeling community - the whole community, not just the prototype cult. And I agree, the days of real thinking outside the box planning are gone in the major publications. This is a disservice to our hobby, IMHO. That's why I'm glad this and other forums exist to encourage, inspire and support the rest of us, the full diversity of this broad modeling community, not just a small segment of prototypers.

I try to keep these rants positive...especially in light of your excellent submission and article. We play, and they do not dance...but at least we keep on playing.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Thanks guys for your viewpoints, encouragement and coaching. I kind of figured going into this thing that my plan was too complicated for them but I went ahead with it anyways. 20/20 hindsight. I doubt I'll submit anything again. I did it once and that was enough to fill in the checkbox of things I've always wanted to do. Kevin makes some good points about what the judges look for as times change. The big thing I learned from all of this seems to be that I enjoy planning and drawing the plans as much if not more than actually building them!