Amtrak Accident
Truck runs in to train at grade crossing in Reno Nevada

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/national_world&id=8213661">http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?secti ... id=8213661</a><!-- m -->

5 confirmed dead now......
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Something else isn't it? The driver apparently ran through the gate. Here's another picture (linked to Fox News):
[Image: 062411_amtrakcrash.jpg]
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
I would like to know more about the truck driver. Lets hope this is only a suicide, not an act of terror. From the description of the accident it sounds like a deliberate act.
Charlie
Charlie B Wrote:I would like to know more about the truck driver. Lets hope this is only a suicide, not an act of terror. From the description of the accident it sounds like a deliberate act.
Charlie
Could be, but maybe he was passed out, asleep or on drugs. All things to think about. But whatever the cause, he has taken four innocent lives and caused major injuries to many others, and anything other than a medical incident is despicable. :evil:
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
I think falling asleep at the wheel is the most likely cause. It was a gravel truck. Interstate truck drivers are regulated as to how many hours they can drive or be on duty before they have to go off duty and rest. Local drivers like most gravel truck drivers have much less restrictive rules about how long they can drive without rest.
We had a gravel truck plow into a bunch of motorcycles stopped for a red light on the Carefree Highway north of Phoenix about a year ago. His problem was drugs. He killed three riders and sent six more to the hospital. He, like this driver, didn't even slow down. How could one not see that there's a bunch of motorcycles stopped in front of you, or just as bad, a passenger train blocking the road?
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
If your insurance company is the same one that insured that truck and driver? --- maybe you'd be well off finding a new company, (their) rates are about to go sky high !!!

For the families of the dead, my deepest sorrow.
For the survivors, injured, or not, my prayers for full recovery.... physical, and/or emotional.
For Amtrak?, No, Virginia, there is no safe place.....only places that feel safer than others.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!