TastyBake ISL
Hello Everyone at Big Blue,

I’m new to posting here, although I have been lurking for several months. I’m looking for help, advice and suggestions for what I hope…no, scratch that…for what WILL be my first completed layout.

I think that I should first start by giving you a little background.

I was an avid armchair modeler and even started a small switching layout during my teen aged years. I moved away from the hobby and pursued other pastimes for a few decades, but never really lost my interest in trains and model railroading. Over the past few years my interest has been rekindled and I’m now 41 years old and looking to settle down with an operational layout.

Now, let’s move onto the layout.

I will be building a small switching layout module that will be serving one client. It will be a large bakery that receives a variety of raw materials to produce its baked goods. It also ships some cars via rail to its distribution networks throughout the country. I was originally thinking of including a team track where the shipping spur and dock are located, but that just seems to me to be the common and somewhat boring solution, so shipping it is unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Starting on the left…

This is where the trains come in from. There will be a cassette extension for this that will eventually be replaced with another self-contained module after this one is completed. The bakery also receives a lot of materials by the trailer load, so there will be an Athearn yard tractor to move these trailers around on this side of the layout. The reason for this is that the management can’t trust the trucking drivers to negotiate the busy and tight quarters of the shipping/receiving courtyard, especially when there are multiple trailer and train deliveries daily, around the clock. The real reason is that I think that those yard tractors are really neat and I wanted to find a way to incorporate one into the layout.

Now I will move from the back to the front going left to right…

The first siding features a loading dock with two car spots for unloading box cars of ancillary ingredients that can’t be shipped in bulk cars and aren’t shipped over the road in trailers. Maybe chocolate chips, nuts, etc. I could definately use some suggestions here. (The dock is hidden behind the Airslide and PressureAide hoppers.) Next on the siding is the bulk dry goods unloading shed. Flour, corn starch and sugar will be unloaded here with each material having specific cars and unloading locations to keep things interesting. The shed has four car spots. I know that this will probably raise some eyebrows and concern because of the accessibility issues, but I believe that I have worked out how I will accomplish this. There will be five of the newer Kadee electro-magnetic uncouplers controlling which car or cut of cars will be pulled from the shed, but I still need to do some further testing just to be sure it will work. (My initial testing has been very positive.)

I’m thinking of kitbashing or scratch building something like this... <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3902">http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3902</a><!-- m -->

The next siding is for bulk liquids. First we have some space to store extra cars. Then there are two unloading spots for corn syrup. Finally there is a spot for one vegetable oil tank car. There is a crossover from the main line to access this spot if the corn syrup cars are being unloaded and can’t be moved when a vegetable oil tank car needs to be spotted. (Again to keep things interesting)

Next is the “main line” and there is not much to say about this other than it can be used for car storage, but mostly will be left clear of cars.

The final siding with loading dock is the shipping department. Not only do they ship, but they also receive shipping supplies such as corrugated cardboard for boxes and wood for pallets as well as machinery. This should allow for quite a variety of rail cars, just like a team track.

I’m getting ready to start the bench work now, but thought that it would be wise to run it by the experienced modelers here to see if anyone has any thoughts about my plans. I have attached some pictures of my mockup with Atlas code 100 for all of you to see where I am heading with this (sorry no turnouts, but paper copies can be seen underneath the flex track).

Layout specifics
Size is 18” x 96” (457 x 2440mm)
Era will be present time
Track Micro Engineering code 70 with #6 turnouts

I would appreciate any help and guidance that you can give me.

Sincerely,
Mark
Oh, and for those of you that are Southern Geep-30 fans...this will be making regular visits to the bakery...

The truck is hidding the masking tape on the flextrack.

Mark
Hi Marc....Welcome to The Gauge/Big Blue..... Welcome
I'm not much of an ISL modeler, but you seem to have a good start. There are plenty of ISL'ers here who can give you whatever advice they feel you could use.

I like the way you use mock-ups to get a feel for the final "look" and operational possibilities. I'll have to keep that in mind for when I get around to building my smelter "complex"....

That GP-30 sure is an ugly duckling...But it's got a certain appeal.... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
Mark;

As a former railroader and someone else working on an ISL, I think you're off to a great start with an interesting industry. Should provide a lot of switching action in a small space, without resorting to the old complicated switching puzzle type layout. An industry like this one, would have to be worked daily, perhaps twice a day, so the operating potential is really good.

Layout reminds me so much of the distilleries I used to switch where you had several tracks and many different car types that had to be spotted in specific locations. Hours of fun on the prototype LOL! Got all the correct type cars for such an operation too. I especially like the Airslide's and the tank cars, which I incorporate on my layout too. Oh yes, love that Southern GP-30! I was never a fan of the GP-30, but did like SOU high hood 30's more so than the L&N low nose versions.

Currently on my ISL plan, I have a team track, but like you, I feel that it is so common place that I'd prefer to find something better to use in its place. Still making adjustments to my plan and experimenting with some ideas so we'll see.

Any way, welcome to the group and you're off to a great start!

Ed
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
Hi Gus,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Quote:That GP-30 sure is an ugly duckling...But it's got a certain appeal.... Goldth

Yep, I have a soft spot in heart for those ugly duckling diesels. Chances are I won't have a permanent geographic location for my layout so I can run any of several locomotives from different roads.

Now, does anyone make a really nice BQ23-7... Eek

Mark
Hi Ed,

Thanks for the welcome.

My original layout was sort of a switching puzzle and I did not like it Nope because I required too many moves to do a simple set out or pick up, so I was looking to avoid that at all costs. And yes, it is designed to be switched twice a day with trains of 3-5 cars for a total of 6-10 cars a day. I’m going to try to light the structures and create a day/night lighting valance above that layout. I’m also looking to keep it portable and to dust proof it easily. I have big plans for this layout and that's why I wanted to keep it somewhat small and manageable.

Mark
Tuxedo, I love the layout. Single customer ISLs can be a blast.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Hi Mark! Welcome! Welcome

Yet another fantastic prototypical looking ISL. Thumbsup

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Yeah,The HH GP30 was a "ugly duckling" but,that Southern paint scheme turn it into a "swan". Thumbsup
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
I agree with Brakie. The Southern paint scheme makes any engine look good. I'm keeping the southern paint on my Kato NW2 and putting new lettering on it.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Mark, Welcome Welcome

I am liking your " Layout Design Hard-ware Program".. 357 Seriously, the use of mock-ups is far more "Human Friendly" than drawings, and we can see instantly where you are taking this ISL. Thumbsup Thumbsup
Looking forward to watching this one evolve.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
I agree. It's a great method for seeing how elements of your layout fit in the area for your layout. Before I buy the lumber and make a mistake, I'm going to photocopy the turnouts and trackage and tape them together to see how they fit. Cheers Cheers Cheers
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Hey Mark, WELCOME...off to a great start here I see!!! I am also fairly new here and also doing a thread on an ISL and I can assure you that you are at the right place for the help that is needed... Will be keeping an eye on this one, thinks it'll be good!!

Cheers
Hi Mark, Welcome to one of the best sites on the web.

Regarding your track plan, I really like that you have included a run around track as part of the trackage.
This provides a bit of a termination feel to your layout with the train/switch job entering from the left,
running around its cars, switching the industries and then departing back to the left. Having switched on
several prototype railroads this it the usual practice...not shoving in.

As a track layout hint, you might want to re-think your "tail" track to the left and either extend it or move the first
left, switch up to the right. this will give you more "tail" room to take more than one or a couple of cars out of each track.
I have switched industries on a switchback where there was only room for one car and an engine but on the industry end
there were three tracks which held three tank cars each. it might have looked like a cool puzzle to model but it certainly
was pain to switch...no fun.

Just some thoughts. Keep up the good work. I am looking forward to seeing construction of your plan.

Barry
Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes and kind words.

Mike,
I used the printable turnout templates from Fast Tracks to mock up their location. On my first layout I copied the turnouts on a Xerox machine and they came out very dark and not nearly as nice as these. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.handlaidtrack.com/Fast-Tracks-HO-Scale-Printable-Track-Templates-s/83.htm">http://www.handlaidtrack.com/Fast-Track ... s-s/83.htm</a><!-- m -->

Callum,
I have been following your SSWUP ISL layout build from the beginning and have been amazed by the beauty of it. Keep up the good work, it is very inspirational.

Barry,
Hate to tell you this, but that crossover is not actually to be used for a run around. The reason it is there is because when corn syrup cars are being unloaded they are not to be moved. If a vegetable oil car needs to be delivered TastyBake needed a way to spot that car without disturbing the corn syrup cars so that is why I have the crossover. But don’t despair, I agree with you about having the locomotive leading the train into the industrial area. Trains will be assembled by the 0-5-0 method on a cassette that is not shown. It will have a runaround so that the train will enter the bakery with the loco in the front, collect any last minute orders from the shipping/receiving manager, back out, run around and begin switching the cars. The cassette will be able to handle a long string of cars to facilitate the switching.

Mark
I'm not much into ISLs, but your use of mockups is quite refreshing to see! Welcome to the forum - I certainly hope to see more.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->