Poll: For you, is model railroading a solo or social activity?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Solo Activity. I enjoy doing most of my modeling by myself. I find it a healthy way to calm my brain and spirit, relax, think, and decompress from everyday stress. Having too many other participants causes me to lose focus and sometimes prevents my full enjoyment of the hobby.
82.50%
33 82.50%
Social Activity. I enjoy modeling with others, inviting others over for operating sessions, and participating in clubs. Without the social contacts, I would have less interest in model railroading.
17.50%
7 17.50%
Total 40 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Model railroading - a solo or social activity?
Do you consider your model railroading hobby more of a solo activity, or a social activity? There's no right or wrong answer here, and I'm sure all of us exhibit characteristics of both realms. After all, all of us have to consider our participation at least somewhat social, because we participate here Misngth But I am asking you in the poll to pick one or the other - do you consider YOUR participation to be more solo or social? This isn't a refection of how you view the hobby as a whole, but how you view your personal participation. I also realize through different life stages, some of us will switch from one realm to the other and back again, and will almost always have some solo activity and some social activity.

After reading a few threads here the past few days, reflecting on life, and thinking, I realize I use this hobby primarily as a solo activity. I rarely do any modeling with others, I rarely invite people over just to see my trains, I rarely go railfanning or taking photos with other modelers. I generally go to hobby shops and train shows by myself, do my own thing, and am happy doing it. For most of my life, I use model railroading as my "me" time, where I do my own thing, am in control of my own world, and generally tune out other life distractions. When I want to socialize, I almost exclusively choose non-railroad activites. I feel that over the course of my life, I tend to lean on model railroading to get me through periods of giref, depression, or stress. Solitary modeling activities have helped keep my life steady and healthy.

On the other hand, I realize others primarily use this hobby to meet and socialize with other modelers. They are frequent participants in clubs, but often do little modeling at home on their own. Without the social aspect, their interest would diminish, and they would probably reduce model railroading to an "armchair" status in their life. These modelers are much more interested in getting together for an operating session than spending the weekend in the workshop weathering boxcars.

My interest in this topic is more broad. I realize that other people have different ways of dealing with life and stress, and I recognize that almost everyone needs some kind of activity that they enjoy alone. For me, that happens to be model railroading. I often wonder if haivng these solo activities helps keep one focused in the rest of their lives. For me, I can definitely say that model railroading has provided continuity in my life, and helpe me keep a level head and out of trouble.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
I think the poll is poorly worded. I would not join a club, but enjoy having my friends over to help and to operate. I also enjoy going to their places to operate.
The questions as asked seem to be: "Are you a hermit with no social life, or B:are you a social butterfly.
I think most folks here fit in the same category as I do.
I have been involved with enough formal clubs to know I don't want to be involved anymore.
Just my two cents worth.
Charlie
Can't do just one..... got to choose both.
Model building, is a solo activity.
Model Railroading is a social activity.

I need the peace of mind I get from building. I can immerse myself in the creative process and enjoy it. If there are others around, that peace and immersion, are lost.
When it comes time to display, operate, and socialize, it's Model Railroading, shared, and a very social thing. The problem with clubs is --- " ...and nine rings were given to the race of men who, above all things, desire power "
---all that power struggling, and too little fun.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Yes Wink Big Grin

Andrew
Sumpter250 Wrote:Can't do just one..... got to choose both.

I need the peace of mind I get from building. I can immerse myself in the creative process and enjoy it. If there are others around, that peace and immersion, are lost.
When it comes time to display, operate, and socialize, it's Model Railroading, shared, and a very social thing.

Interesting. You seperate the two. A very thoughtful input! Thumbsup
--
Kevin
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Sumpter250 Wrote:Can't do just one..... got to choose both.

When it comes time to display, operate, and socialize, it's Model Railroading, shared, and a very social thing. The problem with clubs is --- " ...and nine rings were given to the race of men who, above all things, desire power "
---all that power struggling, and too little fun.
Very well said, Cheers
Charlie
Charlie B Wrote:I think the poll is poorly worded. I would not join a club, but enjoy having my friends over to help and to operate. I also enjoy going to their places to operate.
The questions as asked seem to be: "Are you a hermit with no social life, or B:are you a social butterfly.
I think most folks here fit in the same category as I do.
I have been involved with enough formal clubs to know I don't want to be involved anymore.
Just my two cents worth.
Charlie

I thought about making a "both"option, but felt that option would probably be the most popular without forcing people to really think about "A" or "B". I thought it better for those who are truly in the middle to simply not vote. When I worte the poll, I was thinking more along the lines of those "personality tests" where you must choose which option best describes your views. Pete's reply is an interesting one in that the hobby could be considered two hobbies. If one thinks that way, my question could be re-worded to which hobby do you enjoy more, "Model Building" or "Model Railroading"?
--
Kevin
nachoman Wrote:I thought about making a "both"option, but felt that option would probably be the most popular without forcing people to really think about "A" or "B". I thought it better for those who are truly in the middle to simply not vote. When I wrote the poll, I was thinking more along the lines of those "personality tests" where you must choose which option best describes your views. Pete's reply is an interesting one in that the hobby could be considered two hobbies. If one thinks that way, my question could be re-worded to which hobby do you enjoy more, "Model Building" or "Model Railroading"?

There is a third option, I like to go to the train shed and just run my trains at times. I don't consider that model railroading,nor do I consider it modeling. Goldth

Charlie
There should have been another choice..Both of the above.

You see many of us like to socialize in clubs,forums,chat rooms,attend train shows with friends etc but, perfer to build,model and operate solo.

While I have had follow modelers over for a operation sessions on my past ISLs the jobs was limited to engineer or conductor I still prefer solo operations.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
I don't "operate" my layout, as it's still lacking a couple of important towns, but I do run trains. This could be a social activity but operating will almost definitely be solo, as sequential operations have only one train running at a time. Goldth
Modelling, if I want to accomplish anything, is a solo activity, although I don't mind showing others how to do things and I have done minor repairs for others while they wait.
The social aspect of the hobby is, for me, a fairly recent thing, and while it's trains that originally connected me with many others, it's not necessary, to me, for the hobby to be a part of every get-together.
I do know that the social side of the hobby, along with a few other things, has decreased my ability to accomplish as much modelling as I'd like. I probably spend way too much time on-line. Misngth 35

Wayne
I mainly model (in HO or British OO) on my own because it's the most practical choice for me at the moment. I can choose when I want to do it and for how long, and model the way I want to. I model on my own mainly because I don't have time to join a club for this. Also, I could not really afford to join a model train club (the monthly dues can be quite expensive). When I build my layout(s) and operate them, it's kind of a personal thing which I do my way.

Having said all this, I REALLY do enjoy helping out (when I can) at heritage railways or miniature live steam clubs. I belong to 2-3 heritage railways and hope to join a live steam club, simply to help out. When I do participate, I really enjoy the comradery and fellowship. It's great fun -- the fellowship motivates me and keeps my interest strong. I recently attended a live steam club event during rainy weather, so only 2-3 locos were running. Despite all this, the fellowship was great and I came home in a great mood!
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->
I would also agree with Kevin that model railroading is relaxing and helps to keep one focused during the ups and downs of life. It's a creative and healthy escape, as long as one doesn't over-do it.
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->
I "lone wolf" it although I like to show the layout to visitors who are curious. I sometimes think I'd enjoy operating the layout with others though. I think my current set up would work best with one person controlling the throttle while another did the work of throwing turnouts and uncoupling cars. Could be fun!
Ralph
I like to think I'm social.
I used to be a member of a lot of clubs, now I'm down to one that I go to meetings for, and a few others whose activities I support (i.e. I get the newsletter).
I like operating sessions and I demonstrate at shows.
But noone comes over to run my trains.
I grew up thinking I was the only railfan in a small town; i could possibly go back to that if I had to.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
I find it interesting that the majority voted to be lone wolves (myself included). I would suggest that this is the "club" for us lone wolves. We can participate or not at our own pace, communicate with others of a similar interest, learn and teach new methods, and have some fun talking to each other through this board.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)