Ideas for a future college layout
Just out of curiosity, why are you restricted to 1 x 6? You could make your layout as long as the longest wall and make it a shelf layout. Something else to consider -- have detachable sections that could fit onto one or both ends to act as staging or switching leads for the main 1 x 6 (or even make a "sectional layout").. Obviously you cannot operate the layout under your bed, so adding detachable sections once pulled out would be quick and easy for operations. I agree with you about building a layout -- it is what you want to do, so make it work for your space. Having something to work on is a great stress reducer -- which you are going to need. Do a google search for switching layout designs -- there are quite a few out there. I wish you the best in college and in your modeling endeavors. Let us know which design you are going to build, and keep us updated on the progress!

Chuck
Detroit Connecting
We are your
inner-city connection.
Justinmiller171 Wrote:I was also thinking of doing a version of alcanman's Palmetto Spur layout, It would be alot more prototypical than a Timesaver.

Justin - take a look down the bottom of this page <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.shelflayouts.com/blog.htm">http://www.shelflayouts.com/blog.htm</a><!-- m --> at the "Skills Builder" layout - it could have been designed for your situation!
Justinmiller171 Wrote:I was also thinking of doing a version of alcanman's Palmetto Spur layout, It would be alot more prototypical than a Timesaver.
Yes, it would certainly be more prototypical than a Timewaster plan. Only need three turnouts and a few feet of flex track and the plan can fit on a 1x6. I'd go a little deeper, like 16 inches if possible. Add a narrow 4ft removable staging/switching lead and you could have simple, yet prototypical layout like this:     Industries A, B and the Team Track would each hold 2 50ft/60ft cars and the 4 foot switching lead would hold a typical 4 axle HO engine and four or five 50ft/60ft cars. Plenty of opportunities for scratch building the structures and doing some scenery too. And of course you could spend a lot of time weathering and detailing your equipment. Wouldn't need a large fleet of cars either.

One other thing. Using Peco insulated turnouts (medium radius or roughly No. 6), you'd only need one set of feeders just to the right of the first switch to operate this initially. Of course I'd put power feeders to each turnout and section of track as time permitted. I'm currently operating a 20 foot main track with 4 turnouts and only have one set of feeders and it operates great.

Just something to consider on down the road. College may well take up a lot more time then you think, so your modeling time may be far less then you think. Keep it simple, yet interesting.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
Justin, If You were willing to go another foot long, You can build an 84x12 inch layout with 18 inch radius curves that folds into 2 42x12 inch sections:

[Image: 5958057105_0c6f645568_b.jpg]

Or an 84x12 inch layout with 22 inch radius curves that folds into 2 42x12 inch sections:

[Image: 5958091913_8ca1b53414_b.jpg]

Or you can go with a 72x12 inch layout with 18 radius curves:

[Image: 5958680598_e69c563d60_b.jpg]
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
I am not restricted to a 1x6, It's just what I would prefer, I could go for as big as 1.5x8.

Some other layout ideas:
Dave_Long's NW 22nd Street Layout
Fluesheet's Shelf Layout
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)
I know that they don't appear to be much when you first look at them, a little imagination makes you realize the potential for a fun little switching layout.

For an 18x96 inch layout, I offer these ISL choices:

with 18 inch radius curves

[Image: 5960534361_882fbeeb68_b.jpg]

with 22 inch radius curves

[Image: 5960534427_078ffabda6_b.jpg]

All Track is Atlas Code 83. The layout folds in half (marked by the dotted line) to make 2 48x18 inch sections.

Track A would be your drill Track

Track B would where you put tour backdrop building.

Track E would be the interchange track.

For an interesting piece of scenery, I put a road where the rerailer sections are and I would put a roadway over the left end of the layout curve it to the right and slope it down to the track level or keep it at the same height as the roadway and have a dual level backdrop.

I designed them in case you want to use 50 foot boxcars and modern equipment. The drill track is 27 inches long which accommodates 1 engine and 2 cars, but since the first turnout that you encounter will be for the engine house, then you could hold the engine plus 3 cars since you aren't blocking anything for the engine house.

The interchange track in both plans takes 5 or 6 cars.

I prefer to use
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Here is Palmetto, Shrunk down to 15"x8' :
[Image: Palmetto.jpg?t=1311279860]
Justin Miller
A little late in the game, but have you considered Corn Syrup? You could realistically operate that industry in the space you have. Corn syrup cars need to be used in order of being shipped, and different corn syrups need to be spotted on different unloading spots, so for example, you may need to place Grade A corn syrup on the second unloading spot, but its halfway in the storage track. You'd have to pull out the required tank car from the cut of interchange cars, move the other tank car from the first unloading spot spot, and then put the Grade A tank car to the second spot, and replace the other tank car back on the first unloading spot.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
The 'timewaster' is perhaps the best 'waste of time' EVER - if you think operating model trains is a waste of time. Yes, it's a puzzle, but SO WHAT!?! Puzzles are fun! If you don't like puzzles, fine. But consider that Settlers of Catan, a remarkably simple yet engaging strategy game (like Risk) is the third most popular board game in America right now and VERY popular on college campuses.

If you want to think outside the prototype box (as in boring, boxy modern structures) then set up a timesaver on a plank, make the track, engine and rolling stock absolutely bulletproof, and invite over a few friends. Make the industries randomized (using dice, cards, etc.). Don't worry about scenery. Just paint the board gray, lay the track, then paint the rest green. Use little cardboard signs to mark industries and colored tabs (stickers) on top of the cars to route them. Simple, cheap, and an invitation to involve others.

Then if you get tired of the timesaver, simply rearrange the track and create an inglenook, industrial park, or whatever. But this way you get something going FAST and that gets you moving and keeps ANALYSIS PARALYSIS from setting in.

The timesaver is very good at being what it is. I still enjoy mine from time to time, though not as much now that I am building the layout upstairs...but I've been out of grad school for ten years now, have two kids, a dog, etc.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Any Ideas for a small layout with an Appalachian theme?

I'm trying to get as many ideas as I can, this way when it is time to build the layout it will be alot easier to choose a plan.
Justin Miller
When I was going to college in the 1970s I worked weekends, nites, afternoons and holidays as a switchman on the Illinois Central gaining experience for a later long career on the rails. Between being a switchman, my studies and girls it was more than enough to keep me busy. Later in my junior year, I did purchase a small N scale, ready to run set and put it on a small sheet 18"x36" plywood with one switch to illustrate how small model railroading could go back then. The girls seemed to think it was "cute" and when not in use it hung on the wall like a picture.

You might be better off building a layout at home (since it's only 30 min. away) rather than dragging it to college where one or more of your room mates
will tease you about it. There will always be more than enough time for model railroads later.

just my thoughts,

Barry
BOK Wrote:When I was going to college in the 1970s I worked weekends, nites, afternoons and holidays as a switchman on the Illinois Central gaining experience for a later long career on the rails. Between being a switchman, my studies and girls it was more than enough to keep me busy. Later in my junior year, I did purchase a small N scale, ready to run set and put it on a small sheet 18"x36" plywood with one switch to illustrate how small model railroading could go back then. The girls seemed to think it was "cute" and when not in use it hung on the wall like a picture.

You might be better off building a layout at home (since it's only 30 min. away) rather than dragging it to college where one or more of your room mates
will tease you about it. There will always be more than enough time for model railroads later.

just my thoughts,

Barry

Hmm... Thanks for the advice, I don't know how a girl would react when I tell her I still play with trains. :-?

I should probably work on a layout at home, Then in college I could build a diorama.
Justin Miller
You don't tell her you "play with trains" unless that's what you do. That's okay! Lots of grown men still 'play with trains', (or say they do because they feel their modeling is sub-par and don't want to be criticised so they talk down about it before someone else can). If you make models of railroads, then you are a railroad modeler. If you operate them then you are a model railroader. If she makes fun of it then you gotta ask yourself - am I really committed to this hobby? If the answer is yes then the next question is, Is she worth it?

I say, Love me, love my trains. I won't go so far as to say it like that bumper sticker - "My wife says if I buy one more train she's leaving....gosh I'm gonna miss that woman!". But if it's your hobby and you take it seriously then she needs to also if she respects you for who you are. Just remember that some folks don't have a hobby nearly half as interesting as ours and are a little unsure of how to act or what to say when they learn of your interest. And most girls think ANYTHING we do is 'cute' if it involves toy-like things whether that's RC cars, planes, trains, etc. But the really great ones admire you for your dedication to the hobby and, once they learn how you perceive it, will at least not laugh at you when you wear an engineer's cap to a train show...unless you can laugh at yourself. Some folks never learned that... 357

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
ocalicreek Wrote:will at least not laugh at you when you wear an engineer's cap to a train show...unless you can laugh at yourself. Some folks never learned that... 357

Galen

That reminds me of something Tony Koester said when he saw my little-sister's pink engineer's hat, He told us that he had
"A hat just like that, just a little less pink" 357
He also told us that he went to a costume party, and him as his Wife both dressed up as engineers, Although I guess his wife must be alot more appreciative of the hobby since it is also his job.
Justin Miller
Since my current layout is finally being built, I want to resume discussion of layout ideas for when I move out.

Since I actually started construction of a layout I now know alot more about what I like and don't like.

-I am now open to both N and HO scale
-I am now okay with building a sectional layout
-I like smaller layouts
-I am interested in purely realistic operation, no switching puzzles

I have also narrowed down ideas for themes

I want either:
-Milwaukee Road transition-era or 60's in the Midwest
-Southern Pacifc/Western Pacific transition-era in the California bay-area

At most the layout can be a sectional 1x8, however a 1x6 or less would be better.

I have been really inspired by this layout:http://cs.trains.com/TRCCS/forums/t/195425.aspx

At this point I am mainly looking for track-plan ideas, I know people like Stein and Shortliner have shown some really good designs for small layouts that I previously shrugged off because I didn't really appreciate how good small layouts can be,
So I am now open to all ideas.
Justin Miller