A make-over for a couple of old locos...
For a long time, I've been not totally satisfied with the appearance of my two Moguls. The first, number 34, is a brass model of a Boston & Maine B-15. When I bought it (used) it would barely run and I ended-up replacing the open frame motor with a can Motor from Mashima. Because of the loco's narrow firebox, the motor had to be mounted on a bracket soldered into the boiler shell.
To disguise its heritage somewhat, I added homemade brass awnings over the arched tops of the cab windows, replaced the single phase air pump with a compound one, and added a headlight and number boards to match those of my road's Consolidations. I also replaced the tender's Fox trucks with modified Andrews ones and added a working coupler to the loco's pilot. The result was a very sweet-running loco that had decent power for its size. Here's a couple of photos of the thus modified loco.
Engineer's side:
[Image: Latestprotofoe-toes033.jpg]

Fireman's side:
[Image: Foe-toesfromfirstcd347.jpg]

I'd barely started on this project when I decided to also modify the 34's more modern sister, #37, a plastic model by IHC. It had been altered to more closely resemble the 34, with similar details and a shortened tender. My plan was always to re-motor this loco - it runs nicely enough, but requires more current than the 34 at start-up. When doubleheading these two, the smaller 34 will drag the 37 and the trailing train (usually only 8 or 9 cars) until the power is increased enough for 37's motor to begin turning. Once underway, they run well together.
Here's a look at those original modifications.
Engineer's side:
[Image: Foe-toesfromfirstcd092.jpg]

Fireman's side:
[Image: Kitbashingprojects631.jpg]

I completed #34 first, and rather than pause to take "in-progress" photos, decided that a few views of the modified but not-yet-painted loco would suffice to show the changes.

Here's the engineer's side, showing the new cab (from a Bachmann 2-8-0), new boiler piping, also from a Bachmann 2-8-0 (the original loco had almost none), and the new piston valve cylinder arrangement.
[Image: Re-builtMoguls021.jpg]

...and the fireman's side. Some of the brass piping under the cab is simply a replacement for the original, which broke off during construction. The water pipes and overflow lines, along with the lifting injectors and boiler check valves, were non-existent on the original model.
[Image: Re-builtMoguls020.jpg]

To modify the loco from a saturated steam type to one that's superheated, I unsoldered the square valve chests from the original assembly, then replaced them with lengths of suitably-sized brass tubing. End caps were punched from .033" sheet brass, then a wrapper was fashioned from brass shim stock, and soldered in place.

The tender was also modified somewhat, increasing its coal capacity with a clear-vision style bunker, built-up from styrene sheet. The handrail stanchions are leftovers from an Athearn Mikado.
[Image: Re-builtMoguls010.jpg]

[Image: Re-builtMoguls009.jpg]

For #37, the first task was remotoring. I purchased a 20x32 can motor from NWSL, then modified the interior of the boiler to make room for the new motor, which was both wider and longer than the original one. A mounting bracket was fabricated from sheet brass and the original worm installed on the new motor's shaft. The design of the original drive train was such that I opted to re-use it, as installing a new gearbox would require a totally new pick-up system for the loco and would also require removal of too much material from the loco's plastic frame, weakening it severely. I managed (just barely) to get everything to fit within the confines of the boiler, then adjusted the gear mesh until it operated smoothly and quietly.
Unfortunately, a test run with #34 showed that while both started at the same throttle setting, #37 had become significantly faster. Sad
It was decided to remove the new motor and re-install the original.

Here's a look at the modified loco, first from the engineer's side:
[Image: Re-builtMoguls040.jpg]

...and the fireman's side:
[Image: Re-builtMoguls047.jpg]

The new cab, already painted and lettered, is again from a Bachmann 2-8-0. For some reason, the rear appears to be sagging, although I didn't realise it to be so severely until viewing the photos. This was corrected by adding shims to the area of the rear mounting screw.
The new air tanks replace the original low-relief cast-on plastic ones, and consist of brass tubing filled with lead. The cooling coils and other piping is .022" brass wire, with hanger brackets fabricated from .010"x.030" brass bar.
The cabs of both locos, by the way, were lowered slightly by removing some material from their bottom edges, then the front openings were modified to fit their respective boilers. For #34, this meant addition of some strip styrene to allow for a tighter fit around her smaller boiler, while #37 had the opening re-shaped slightly. The latter loco's cab actually sits about a scale foot farther forward than the original. Both cabs are attached to their underlying walkways with screws driven from below, and the .100"x.100" styrene strips added to the cabs' interiors for this purpose precluded re-use of the Bachmann cast cab weights. Instead, new weights were fashioned from .030" sheet lead, and added after the cab windows had been installed. Each consists of seven sheets, formed to follow the contours of the roof and front of the cab sides.

Of course, a re-worked loco needs a tender to match, and the 37's shortened tender was a very old style, with flared top edges similar to what would have been used on a wood-burner. I remedied that by slicing off the flare, then added a "bump-up" similar to that on #34's original tender. Made from .020" sheet styrene, it's topped with a bead of .025" styrene rod. This, in turn, allowed me to create a new deck for the cistern, increasing the tender's water capacity. The new water hatch and handrail stanchions are from Precision Scale, while the hatch rest is made from .010"x.030" brass bar.
The coal bunker was also built up as a clear vision type, with the resultant increase in fuel capacity. Stanchions there are from Athearn.
[Image: Re-builtMoguls012.jpg]

[Image: Re-builtMoguls011.jpg]

In working order, tenders included, the 34 weighs in at 20oz., with the 37 at 14.75oz. I'll probably cast a lead weight to place on #37's cab floor, as she's a bit heavy in the front end.

Here's how the cab lettering was done. After an initial coat of Floquil Grey Primer, the cab roof was masked as shown, then airbrushed with a coat of Reefer White. After it had dried for a couple of days, dry transfer stripes and numerals (from C-D-S) were applied, although the finally burnishing step was omitted. The colour of the letters and stripes is unimportant, since they're used only as masking devices. Next, the cab was sprayed with a custom-mixed colour used for all cabs and tenders on my road's locos.
[Image: Re-builtMoguls028.jpg]

As soon as this paint was dry to the touch, bits of masking tape were dabbed at the cab sides, lifting the unburnished dry transfers and revealing the underlying white paint:
[Image: Re-builtMoguls031.jpg]

While #37 still requires some touch-up airbrushing, and both locos need a little weathering to blend the new paint in with the original, here are a few in-service photos.

Here's the pair, the 37 with her cab still drooping, rounding the curve near Indian Line:
[Image: Re-builtMoguls062.jpg]

...and on a bright sunny day on the bridge at Chippawa Creek:
[Image: Re-builtMoguls051.jpg]

[Image: Re-builtMoguls064.jpg]

...pulling in to Elfrida:
[Image: Re-builtMoguls048.jpg]

...and the pair westbound on the Maitland River bridge:
[Image: Re-builtMoguls073.jpg]

While I've yet to add the extra weight to the 37, the re-built 34 alone handled an 18 car train (two of which were 8oz. loaded hoppers) up the curving 2.5% grade between Elfrida and Cayuga Junction. The addition of that superheater certainly payed off, and with a savings in coal and water, too. Thumbsup

Wayne
Great job Doc. Thumbsup love the tender mods...
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Hi Doc---thank you for posting this thread.When I was at your house the other day I was able to see the modifications on these locomotives in person and I was fortunate to be able to take numerous pictures of #34---since then I have been anxiously waiting for you to show some pictures before I posted any of my photos.Hope you don't mind if I add a few more shots of this beautiful locomotive.

[Image: P1080175.jpg]

[Image: P1080146.jpg]

[Image: P1080160.jpg]
Wayne, a very nice job and two fine, small engines in result!
(And I'm planing the first great modification one of my model locos - more not before I have done the most of work. This job must come now after many years of model railroading! Only that, the model was pictured already here.)

doctorwayne Wrote:...
The addition of that superheater certainly payed off, and with a savings in coal and water, too. Thumbsup

And this is one of greatest model railroader's gag I have read ever! Financing of next loce model is secured!
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Well, I know who I am going to bug when I finally get around to modifing some things for the one and only steam loco I have sitting on my shelf. Wink
uNever ceases to amaze me...!!! Beatiful job on those locos...!! Thumbsup

Tetters....The Doc be THE man to turn to when undertaking any steam loco project...!!

My 2-8-2 is painted and being lettered...Almost there.... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
Thanks for the kind words, guys, but these were just quick make-overs to fix appearance issues that had been bugging me for some time. I'm trying to clear up a big backlog of small projects so that I can finally get to work on the loco conversions which I started quite some time ago.

Wayne
Wayne,

i quote you: "...but these were just quick make-overs..."

The understatement of the month is that above :!: :!: :!:
A very well done job you did.
Thanks for your kind assessment, Lutz. My use of "quick" was in reference to the amount of modification, which isn't really that great. However, "quick" was otherwise a poor choice, as I'm a very slow worker, even on such simple projects. Wallbang Misngth

Wayne
Many kudos for swapping out the slide valves for piston valves. I particularly enjoy that the new cylinders were fabrication from scratch rather than using castings. Cheers

Michael
Michael
My primary goal is a large Oahu Railway layout in On3
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->
Thanks, Michael. I tried to find a suitable casting and even checked out a couple of assembled brass ones at the LHS, but all were too big for this little lady. Were I to do it again, I'd fabricate a totally new assembly - cylinders, valve chests and saddle, as working on the existing built-up one was frustrating.

Wayne
Tremendous! I always enjoy seeing your work, Wayne, especially the steamers!

Just one question, though. Will you EVER put crew members in your engines? Smile

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Thanks, Galen. Wink Goldth
As a matter of fact, I have a number of crewmen currently awaiting surgery on my workbench. My favourites are the ones from LaBelle, but with only four figures available, a little arm wrestling and head-turning is needed. Icon_lol Of course, painting them differently helps, although the pinstriped overalls can be tedious to do. Wallbang Misngth
The other issue is mixing brands - I have some Atlas, Jordan, and a couple hundred unpainted seated figures (half of which are women - not appropriate for my '30s era, although their garb is suitable for the time). However the former and latter are somewhat oversize - they look okay with their own kind, but don't always "mix well with others". Misngth In the cab, head and shoulders, with maybe an arm or two, may work. However, I'm currently busy with other locos and a few miscellaneous tasks.

Wayne