The Layout..
Sweet work Dan!!

I like the yellow bottoms on the poles you did, thats a cool touch. You and Kurt have both done that, and i have to say, that really looks good!!

Also like the other woodchip car you did, weathering looks great on them Thumbsup Thumbsup

The spreader looks pretty sweet too!! Im with you on the Ford C cabs, im not much of a fan of them either, but i like what you did with it, great job!! Thumbsup Thumbsup
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
Thanks man, unfortunately I can't take credit for the poles because that's actually part of the cast...but they should be fairly easy to replicate with tube styrene or a wooden dowel!
Great work, I love the little slat spreader. I too think those Ford C Cabs are fugly, but so ugly thier cool I guess, I just really like them too.
Tom Carter
Railroad Training Services
Railroad Trainers & Consultants
Stockton, CA
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com">http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- m -->
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com">tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- e -->
[Image: gaugetraingifsigUP.gif]
Man, I just love that photo of the switcher coming around that curve in the induxtrial district! I love brick canyons, and you've done a great job. Well done!

Gary
jglfan Wrote:Man, I just love that photo of the switcher coming around that curve in the induxtrial district! I love brick canyons, and you've done a great job. Well done!

Gary

I subscribe to every word you said. That is an exceptionally nice scene.
Kurt
Thanks Guys! I really do appreciate the feedback! I think I need to spend more quality time with the layout!

- Dan
VERY NICE! I really like how much scenery you fit into a small space.
Hey Dan from what I've seen, it's a fine job that your doing with the layout there sir, and Lots of action going on too.
The weathering looks the goods,.... but are those ford trucks really that orange colour? Big Grin

We have a company that has it's cement trucks painted pink, which took a bit of getting used to, but every time you pass one now you know whose truck it is without looking to hard. Misngth

Jack 219
LIFE....
..... Abandon the search for truth
Look for a good fantasy
Thanks Kev - I gotta post it up over at PS too!

Thanks Jack - lol at the pink cement trucks, definitely gets your attention. I was looking for an orange color and I used D&RGW Orange because I thought it would be a more muted orange than utility orange that I had, but they are pretty much the same. Where I'm from, all the trucks were painted the same municipal orange, except for some recently new ones tacked onto state orders that are yellow, so that is my reference for that guy. And here's an example from when I worked at the DPW during the summer:

[Image: Picture0025crop.jpg]

- Dan
CalTrans is California has Orange Trucks too. Some of them all Orange, some of them Orange and White, and some of them all White

Here is a picture of a Orange CalTrans Front Loader clearing some debris on a road:

[Image: 7587.large.jpg]

Here is one that is Orange and White:

[Image: TruckCargoLG.jpg]

And here is one that is all White:

[Image: 401407791nkfurO_ph.jpg]
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
Cal Trans has some sharp and bright looking trucks!Cool pics Josh!
Dan85 Wrote:Cal Trans has some sharp and bright looking trucks!Cool pics Josh!

Yeah, they take pretty good care of their equipment too. But as highly visible as their equipment is, you'd be AMAZED (unless you saw how people drive here) at how often a motorist runs into a Caltrans crew on the freeway and kills several people. I wouldn't want their job.
Tom Carter
Stockton, CA
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com">http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- m -->
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com">tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- e -->
Tom Wrote:(unless you saw how people drive here) at how often a motorist runs into a Caltrans crew on the freeway and kills several people. I wouldn't want their job.
I'm glad I learned how to drive on the east coast or I might have been killed out there.
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
Yeah, no doubt! I just came in from going down the street to the little corner store for a pack of smokes. I pretty near got creamed TWICE by young girls driving with a cell phone glued to their ear and leaning in the seat to yak on the phone (which is now illegal here in the Peoples Republik of Kaliphornia). AND IT WAS ONLY A 1 MILE ROUND TRIP!

But yeah, those Ford C Cabs are neat little trucks, it's been a while since I had seen one on the roads, but that stands to reason with our clean air laws out here. Anyone further east see any on a regular basis?
Tom Carter
Stockton, CA
Have a small update of sorts. First I finished a small scratch built building to fill an odd footprint on the layout. I used brick sheets from plastruct, spare windows from a cornerstone kit, and built the moldings/sills/garage doors from styrene. It's not perfect, but I'm pretty excited with how it came out. Definitely encourages me to try my hand at some other scratch built structures!

[Image: Picture201801crop.jpg]

[Image: Picture201799crop.jpg]

I've also been working a garage for all of my public works equipment. I built a sand/salt barn out of pikestuff corrugated siding and left over parts from other kits.

[Image: Picture201808crop.jpg]

[Image: Picture201811crop.jpg]

And one miscellaneous shot

[Image: Picture201804crop.jpg]

- Dan