A simple BNSF shoving platform
In the West Coast Railforum posted "Snuffy" in April 2010 two pictures of a BNSF shoving platform in the Malabar yard.
picture 1: http://www.westcoastrailforums.com/attac...?aid=11251
picture 2: http://www.westcoastrailforums.com/attac...?aid=11252
(thread about the BNSF Malabar job: http://www.westcoastrailforums.com/thread-2066.html)

Some styrene fence is used as a base and a hand break from an old caboose completes the "micro" kitbashing Smile
[Image: Img_0785.jpg?t=1312542758]
Reinhard
Nifty kitbash of a clever prototype! I like it! Thumbsup
Ralph
Just a 'Devil's Advocate' question.

From a Occupational Health and Safety point of view, I would have expected there to be handrails running the length of the flat car and at each end so that switchmen can Safely get on and off as well as move to the correct side or end when getting ready to exit the platform to change a switch or to check a clearance. Also it would appear that the only way a switchman can get inside the fenced area is to climb under the railings, which is a 'no go' result these days particularly if using a remote control belt pack as it would 'think' that the operator had fallen over and stop everything.

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
Mr Fixit Wrote:Just a 'Devil's Advocate' question.
From a Occupational Health and Safety point of view,...

Either handrails all the way long and steps at the end of the car or steps right at the fenced area. However they did not do so. Looks like the switchman has to climb on the car. Might be that car is used as a retirement test car? Wink

I did post a question in the original forum. May be the LA guys know about that car.

Some time later:

Got an answer from TCS:
"What you're missing is the two steps right below the railings (see the two white stripes ? ) on both sides."

Next morning:

[Image: Img_0788.jpg?t=1312608966]
Reinhard
Ah I see, and those steps combined with the brake wheel moved to within the handrail area makes the platform sort of compliant, even if it is still very exposed to the weather. Not my cup of tea that's for sure.

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
Mr Fixit Wrote:... it is still very exposed to the weather. Not my cup of tea that's for sure...
I think that is a very special solution to be used in the LA basin with the local climate only. We should not wait for a similar design from Canada Wink
Reinhard
Mr Fixit Wrote:Ah I see, and those steps combined with the brake wheel moved to within the handrail area makes the platform sort of compliant, even if it is still very exposed to the weather. Not my cup of tea that's for sure.

Mark

It has been suggested by some folks from other parts of the country that we don't have "weather" in Southern California. Generally for 330 days or more per year the forecast for So Cal is "clear and sunny", sometimes when the weather is bad we get "scattered clouds" in the morning. With an average rainfall of 13 inches per year, Los Angeles has a lot of stuff that is not really designed to be weather proof.
Russ Bellinis Wrote:It has been suggested by some folks from other parts of the country that we don't have "weather" in Southern California. Generally for 330 days or more per year the forecast for So Cal is "clear and sunny", sometimes when the weather is bad we get "scattered clouds" in the morning. With an average rainfall of 13 inches per year, Los Angeles has a lot of stuff that is not really designed to be weather proof.

Ayuh, and I'd bet you don't ever have to shovel 14" of "partly cloudy" either. 357
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:Ayuh, and I'd bet you don't ever have to shovel 14" of "partly cloudy" either. 357

To find snow you have to go up into the mountains, but I have actually seen it snow here. I've lived in California for most of my life, and growing up, I remember it snowing one day around Christmas in the S.F. bay area, and I think maybe once here in So Cal. When it does snow, it is just a brief flurry and the kids who want to play in it better get to it, because I've never seen it stay around more than 2-3 hours.
Reinhard;

Seeing your model of a BNSF shoving platform reminded me of a photo that I'd seen on RailPictures.net of a CSX remote control platform: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.ph...&nseq=2399. Interesting concept - couple any locomotive to this thing, hook up the air and MU cable and you have a remote control locomotive! Would certainly make for an interesting and different model.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
FCIN Wrote:Reinhard;

Seeing your model of a BNSF shoving platform reminded me of a photo that I'd seen on RailPictures.net of a CSX remote control platform: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.ph...&nseq=2399. Interesting concept - couple any locomotive to this thing, hook up the air and MU cable and you have a remote control locomotive! Would certainly make for an interesting and different model.

That is interesting. UP is using an old gray painted GE engine body (without motor, traction, tank etc) for the same purpose. It was always my thought that a remote control unit must be easier to build. The CSX car is what I was thinking about.

Thank you for posting the photo.
Reinhard