32nd street switching layout
Fall is here - time to start doing some model railroading again. Today I mounted the started, but far from finished, small 15" x 8 foot switching layout I have called "32nd street" on the wall in the living room by our computer desk.

View from my computer desk (when I stand up):
[Image: CIMG2090.jpg]

Track plan:
[Image: 32ndstreet-trackplan.jpg]

As mentioned in an earlier post, the track plan is heavily based on ideas from Byron Henderson's 18" x 6' N scale San Jose switching layout: http://www.layoutvision.com/gallery/id25.html

Smile,
Stein
----- and the first thought that popped up was, paint the frame the same color as the room's trim. Big Grin

Looks good there !! Thumbsup Thumbsup
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:----- and the first thought that popped up was, paint the frame the same color as the room's trim. Big Grin

Absolutely - just have to wait for a day when it is not raining, so I can do the painting and drying out on the porch.

Smile,
Stein
Stein, I like your trackplan very much. Gives you lots of switching opportunities for such a small layout. Looking forward to see this evolve.
Kurt
Stein,That's a very nice looking ISL you got going.. Thumbsup
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Stein,

Once again, you have proven that you are the man. I love that track plan.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Looks good, lots of operating possibilites!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Stein, how long are the 2 leads to the runaround?
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Hi guys --

Thanks for the nice comments!

Mike Kieran Wrote:Stein, how long are the 2 leads to the runaround?

The length of an NW-2, two 40-foot cars and about 2" to spare (allowing me to use a slightly longer locomotive) - right end lead continues under the road bridge at far right. Runaround is long enough for five 40 foot cars and clearance for a runaround move. I don't expect to run trains longer than a switcher and 3-5 cars.

Smile,
Stein
Hi Stein Thumbsup

It pleases me very well and you've done well. Thumbsup Thumbsup
greeting from the blade city Solingen / gruß aus der Klingenstadt Solingen

Harry

Scale Z and N
Stein, I like the small ISL. It is very handy to be in the living room. Lets you build and play while all the family is around. You need powerful sound decoders to compete with the TV set Wink
What happened to the other larger layout under construction last year? Did I miss something?
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:Stein, I like the small ISL. It is very handy to be in the living room. Lets you build and play while all the family is around. You need powerful sound decoders to compete with the TV set Wink

;-)

faraway Wrote:What happened to the other larger layout under construction last year? Did I miss something?

It is still there (minus a handful of turnouts I borrowed for the small switching layout). Just have taken a pause from it.

Smile,
Stein
There's nothing like seeing progress. Go Stein, go!

/cheerleader
--O'Dave
faraway Wrote:You need powerful sound decoders to compete with the TV set Wink

Use basic decoders in the locomotives and make the sound decoders stationary. Instead of trying to pump the sound out of tiny little onboard speakers, you can plug them into the home theatre surround sound system!

I've heard of other people doing that.

Some guys have put sound in their locos and additional sound boards under the layout with a sub-woofer to really boost the sound!!! Cheers
Ron Wm. Hurlbut
Toronto, Ontario, Dominion of Canada
Ontario Narrow Gauge Show
Humber Valley & Simcoe Railway Blog
TinGoat Wrote:you can plug them into the home theatre surround sound system!

I've heard of other people doing that.

Watch this!:http://youtu.be/lDwUuw67_lM
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)