Greenwich & Meridian logo challenge
All the board (or bored) of director members unanimously agreed that the Greenwich & Meridian should be the name of our global railroad. Thank you all that voted in the poll. We now have a new challenge, that being the design of a new logo or herald. For this, we are going to solicit your ideas and design talents.

Here’s what we’d like to do:

For those of you with design abilities, feel free to come up with a set of G&M logos and logotypes that would fit any era railroad. Perhaps we could have an early and modern style; maybe just one would work for all.

For those of you with little or no design ability, we ask that all you come up with is perhaps a sketch of what you’d like to see and perhaps a suggested font style, and we can take if from there to formalize your idea.

The rules are few:
  • Make up your logos, or ideas and post them here. If you are feeling shy about it, you can PM or email me and let me know what you have in mind. If you just have an idea, I’ll see if I can put that idea into what you’re looking for, and then with your OK, I can post the results here on your behalf.
  • You can post (or send to me) as many sets of logos and logotypes, or ideas as may come to you. If you have more than one idea, put them in separate posts please.
  • We will give everyone a month to do this, once that happens, we will open a voting poll to see what everyone likes the most. If there are a lot of entries, like there was in the naming thread, we might have a preliminary poll to narrow the list down to around ten to choose from.
  • This challenge is open to everyone including the Big Blue staff.
  • The only prize is bragging rights and knowing that your artwork will grace trains in all the Greenwich & Meridian railroads.
  • The winner gives Big Blue Train Forums and its members the right to use, copy and distribute the artwork without recourse, or in other words, the artwork becomes public domain without normal copyright protections.
  • Once a logo set is chosen, we will make available, an artwork sheet in each scale that can be used to make paper or decal copies to apply to cars and engines.
A few guidelines:
  • Simplicity is better. Remember, a lot of modelers are going to have to reproduce these to apply to their cars and engines.
  • The fewer colors the better. Black and white can be printed on any kind of printer. Darker colors work best on decal paper.
  • The results should look good on any scale, we don’t have many z scalers, but N, HO and up to G is common here, so details that are too small won’t look good in N, and too small of a resolution could get pixilated in O or G scale.
Good luck everyone, we are excited about this railroad concept and are looking forward to this next step.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
My first choice for a logo for the G&M would be the simplified GM&O logo used by the non defunct Gulf & Mississippi Railroad as seen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8576809@N08...573927@N22. But here are a couple variations for a simple logo that could fit any era:     Will play around some more and see what else I might come up with. Disclaimer: I'm no graphics designer!

Addition: One more variation and I'll quit for now.    
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
FCIN Wrote:My first choice for a logo for the G&M would be the simplified GM&O logo used by the non defunct Gulf & Mississippi Railroad as seen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8576809@N08...573927@N22. But here are a couple variations for a simple logo that could fit any era:[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]Will play around some more and see what else I might come up with. Disclaimer: I'm no graphics designer!
That's a cool idea, but I think we need to avoid using any current or fallen flag logos. These are still copyrighted and owned by someone and could do nothing but get us into hot water even if we only used one on our fictitious railroad.

Great start with your logos though. I didn't expect one that quickly, so thanks for kicking this challenge off. Thumbsup Thumbsup
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
The only exception to the "fallen flag logo reuse" that I have toyed with is a railway named to fit "MOW" since Maintenance of Way equipment, dry transfers, and decals are common. With my own fictional RR and geography in effect, I could have the Marlpost & Orangeville Western. Wink Big Grin

It would be a rather worn-out looking railroad though... Icon_lol

Andrew
A hastily mocked up possibility...

[Image: IMG_2587.jpg]

Ralph
And I Hastily added a bit to it Smile Smile Smile Hope you don't mind Goldth Goldth

~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
No, not at all! Your embellishments really spice it up! I was actually hoping my basic idea might spark some entries. Thumbsup
Ralph
Great!!! We'll leave it for someone else to change it as they see fit Smile
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Just for " alternatives " ---

I'm working on the "text" for this, I was thinking of keeping it all Blue and white.
The real problem is insuring that it can be sized for all scales, and retain some degree of detail. I could drop the "equator", and leave just the Greenwich meridian "line".

Yeah, it looks like crosshairs ----- "We have our sights on global transportation" Icon_twisted Big Grin
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Did a bit of doodling today and came up with this. I tried to make it simple and the font not have thin lines that might disappear somewhere around N scale:

Attached Files Image(s)

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
I love N Guager's modification on the logo by Ralph (great idea Ralph), but I would move the Ampersand to the left slightly so that it could be used for the Greenwich & Meridian as well as the G & M. I also love EZ Days' logos. What I would propose is that Ralph/N Guager's logo be used for steam era and EZ Days' be used for modern era.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Just in case you forgot about this, we are still looking for suggestions for a herald for our global railroad. If you're artistically challenged and need some help, just give us a rough sketch and we can put your idea onto paper for you. Regardless, we could use a few more choices, so get to work, you have less than two weeks to post something. 2285_
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
While it was originally conceived for the NW&SE, I think the "Serves All Points" logo also works for the G&M given the compass reference.

See: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4544&p=80322&hilit=Serves+all+points#p80322">viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4544&p=80322&hilit=Serves+all+points#p80322</a><!-- l -->

Andrew
MasonJar Wrote:While it was originally conceived for the NW&SE, I think the "Serves All Points" logo also works for the G&M given the compass reference.

See: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4544&p=80322&hilit=Serves+all+points#p80322">viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4544&p=80322&hilit=Serves+all+points#p80322</a><!-- l -->

Andrew
You bet. If you could post it again here, I'd appreciate it. It would be nice to have all entries in one thread, and I consider that to be one we can vote on. Even if we chose a different logo, the motto is a good one and the two could be combined.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Another variation that has possibilities:

Attached Files Image(s)

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and