Kato HO SD40-2 high short hood conversion
With Sweethome Alabama's first exhibition looming in 6 weeks time, I have been feverishly upgrading some of the locomotives that I want to use on the layout. It's now the turn of the Kato Norfolk Southern SD40-2, which is going from a NW low short hood version, to a SOU high short hood.

Here's the model I'm starting with

[Image: nssd40-2.jpg]

...and here's a photo of the locomotive it will be turned into, including the access door modification. #3204 is/was a regular visitor to Alabama.

[url="http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=64456"]http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=64456[/url]

The first task was to remove the short hood and cut/file off the numberboards. I use photos printed from the web as reference.

[Image: IMG_0185.JPG]

[Image: IMG_0191.JPG]

[Image: IMG_01922.JPG]

Jon
Sweethome Chicago is now on Facebook

Sweethome Alabama is now on Facebook

Hudson Road is now on Facebook

my videos

my Railimages
I've knocked up the basic Canon hood, using side sheet containing the smaller recess for the brake lever. There's a bit of slop between the hood side and the cab steps/walkway but this can be easily fixed with some thin card inserts.

I've also drilled the holes for the grabs and headlight bulbs

[Image: IMG_0195.JPG]

[Image: IMG_01941.JPG]

[Image: IMG_01931.JPG]

Jon
Sweethome Chicago is now on Facebook

Sweethome Alabama is now on Facebook

Hudson Road is now on Facebook

my videos

my Railimages
Very Nice! High hoods are fun!
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Great stuff, can't wait for the paint to go on.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Ahhhhhhhh the high hood SD40! My favorite six-axle locomotive. Nothing like seeing them running long hood forward in Southern paint! Still see plenty of them in NS paint around here and consider them a prize photo catch.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
"NS/Southern" and "high hood"...The best of combinations. Popcornbeer Can't wait to see how this turns out...sure looks good now. Thumbsup
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)