Thanks Kurt for the prompt reply

Jonte
Kurt, you're a 100% model artist!!! Worship
Conrail-Markus
Conrail-Markus Wrote:Kurt, you're a 100% model artist!!! Worship

Absolutely!

Smile,
Stein
Kurt - I see you beat me to the backdrop! Ah well, there's still more work to do in the layout space before I can get to mine, and I managed to clean out enough space in the garage finally to tackle working on benchwork indoors. Last year I was relegated to working in the driveway on sunny, dry days during the summer.

Likewise, I will be leaving my corners square. I know it runs counter to current model railroad thinking, what's in vogue, I guess, but also I want the space for scenery and structures more than I want a continuous curve. Plus, a large window breaks up the backdrop flow anyway so why fight it? Square corners it is for me.

When the time comes to carve brick for the Pinto station platform, I'll be using Durham's water putty, a wood filler type material. It's a little harder than plaster once set, but I have carved in it before and enjoy it.

Looking forward to seeing the backdrop painted.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Markus, Stein, thank you for your kind words and for reviving my thread. I must admit that I did not work on the layout for almost a month until last weekend. I made the sidewalks along the street that is crossing the tracks so that I can go on finishing the streets before I’ll ballast the track and start adding ground cover. Really looking forward to that because I am sick of looking at all this plain plywood.

[Image: bliss24.JPG]

[Image: bliss25.JPG]

Galen, I don’t want the backdrop to distract from the scenery, so I did not paint the backdrop a solid color and I did not make it very colorful. So I painted it lighter at the bottom. I like how it turned out, but I’ll wait to make a final decision on the color of the backdrop until there are some more structures and greenery on my layout.

I agree with you on rounded corners. My layout is so small that I don¹t want to waste any space that I could use better for a structure or a few inces of track.

[Image: bliss23.JPG]
Kurt
Found this thread on a NY&A google search. No progress since april? Great looking layout, would like to see what it looks like almost a year since the last update.
Rscott417 Wrote:Found this thread on a NY&A google search. No progress since april? Great looking layout, would like to see what it looks like almost a year since the last update.

Rscott417,

Read Kirk's first post here about his new layout...

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4455">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4455</a><!-- l -->

Nope I was very sad to hear that this layout got dismantled because it was looking spectacular and the prototype was somewhat close to where I live. I actually found Big Blue because of another of Kirk's layouts "NW 58th St., Miami", while doing a google search like you.

Mark
damn that sucks, the layout was looking real good. i look forward to seeing other NYC based layouts