New Port Able Railway Company in XTrackCad
I've done a new layout in XTrackCad. I've gotten the basics down, but I'm trying to add text and scenery (like roads & grade crossings). Any tips out there?

[Image: 6266727293_e5c81ec34e_b.jpg]

What I love about this program is that I can simulate operations on my layout and see where changes need to be made in the plan and how things fit, such as track capacities.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
I usually just draw filled squares (in light gray) - 3" wide for a H0 scale road. If I want a bridge across the track, I put the square over the track. If I want a road or concrete under the track, I delete that part of the track, put in the grey "concrete" square, and then redraw the track over it.

Smile,
Stein
Thanks Stein! It takes genius to see a logical solution without overthinking the problem to death. Such a simple trick! :oops: Now that that mystery is solved, how about adding text to the trackplan?
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Mike Kieran Wrote:Now that that mystery is solved, how about adding text to the trackplan?

Tool bar, third icon from left - capital letter A on icon. Select a much bigger font in the drop down box "font size" on bottom frame - about 100 for a small plan, 200-250 for a room sized plan. Click on layout, type text, press ENTER to finish.

Smile,
Stein
Thank you stein, I bow to your greatness Worship Worship Worship . I'll try it on my laptop Monday.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

steinjr Wrote:I usually just draw filled squares (in light gray) - 3" wide for a H0 scale road. If I want a bridge across the track, I put the square over the track. If I want a road or concrete under the track, I delete that part of the track, put in the grey "concrete" square, and then redraw the track over it.

Smile,
Stein

Quicker to draw the concrete area, "select" the track and hit the " move to top" button - I use that a lot! For bridges, draw the square, cut the track each side, select the bit in the middle. hit the tunnel icon and, if needed, select the square and hit move to bottom - nice dotted track under the bridge

Mike - have you seen <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.gatewaynmra.org/project.htm">http://www.gatewaynmra.org/project.htm</a><!-- m --> - lots of ideas for your Port Able layout

Jack
shortliner Wrote:
steinjr Wrote:I usually just draw filled squares (in light gray) - 3" wide for a H0 scale road. If I want a bridge across the track, I put the square over the track. If I want a road or concrete under the track, I delete that part of the track, put in the grey "concrete" square, and then redraw the track over it.

Smile,
Stein
Quicker to "select" the track and hit the " move to top" button - I use that a lot!

<Hits head with back of hand>.

Hadn't noticed that one - two icons with "red circle/grey square".

Thank you!

Smile,
Stein
Stein - there are a lot of bits in XTrkCad that users find "by accident" and then hit their heads! When someone points you to them, they are so obvious - it has happened to me several times! Icon_lol

For roads use the "Filled polygon" option with a light gray fill - but always remember to end the road where you started - or you will get a very strange shape. it means you don't have to have straight roads or parking lots.
shortliner Wrote:Stein - there are a lot of bits in XTrkCad that users find "by accident" and then hit their heads! When someone points you too them, they are so obvious - it has happened to me several times! Icon_lol

I know the feeling. Lots of people have not figured out the difference between modify plus left-button-drag (extend track with same curvature) or modify plus right-button-drag (extend track, modify curvature).

Thanks for the tip on the bring to top/bottom.

Smile,
Stein
Here's the track plan for the Port Able Railway. I'm making it 60x42 inches. The Brown buildings are my industrial customers while the red buildings will be stores & shops.

[Image: 6332629222_c1530f2ec5_b.jpg]
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Here's my newest version of my Port Able Railway. The Red/Orange buildings are stores and commercial property.

I plan on starting construction in the next few weeks:

[Image: 6345054078_765533864f_b.jpg]
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Pared down to 56x38 inches. I feel that it's more compact, but flows better:

[Image: 6347713494_ee1ea9d0f2_b.jpg]
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Mike - the Model Trains International magazine, Issue #97 has several pages - including your original Port Able - about going round & round - your complimentary issue should be heading your way - so don't start building just yet!
Best
Jack
Thanks Jack, I'll keep an eye out for it. I'm looking forward to it.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines