Progress Shots
Wayne, that was also my idea. I would build the extension on a "vehicle" with wheels to be moved away when maintenance is required. The ferry would be a great staging area and point of operation. The beautiful pier 27 kits would be a great background.

Update, ah. I did not know a wall suitable to support an extension was so close. That is the simpler solution.
Reinhard
Here is the partially assembled Pier 27 on a sheet of foam to rough in the position of the pier:

This is a big, big kit, and the whole project here is deceptively big, even though the extension is only 20" x 30". It's taken me several days of fairly steady work simply to cut the acetate to fit in all the cast windows -- that's done now, but I still have the acetate for the laser-cut windows to go!
I took the bridge out again to start some work on the interface at the end of the peninsula. A short track that I had been using as a team track before Pier 27 came along will be extended to go into the pier. However, I will have to reposition it somewhat, so I will need to pull out the existing track and some of the scenery back to the switch:

Other scenery at the end of the peninsula is just roughed in:

This is at the base of the Walthers bascule bridge. The area is more and more inspired by Emery Gulash films of Detroit and Toledo area scenes from the 1950s, when Detroit was the fourth-largest US city and an industrial powerhouse. (For that matter, in the 1980s I drove a Jeep Grand Wagoneer built in Toledo. However, it had definitely not come off the line on a Wednesday.) The pile of dirt behind the Do Not Anchor sign is the start of a typical Emery Gulash foreground point-of-interest that he'd have in his films. To the left is the base of the Walthers float bridge, which will need to have the Tortoise installed for the switch point on the bridge.
Here is the team track removed and scenery cleaned out:

So now I'm trying out clearances and fit with the new track. It's going to have to make a very tight S-curve to get around the concrete plant and then get into the pier on a straight line that leaves room for the float bridge and car float:

S class switchers and 40-foot cars are going to be the thing to use, I can see.
After a great deal of testing and fitting, and getting the Fos Pier 27 kit a little closer to completion, I finalized a way to place the pier building, the pier, and the car ferry on the removable shelf. The only thing I lost was the ability to see the sea-end of the pier, with its interesting sign listing the railroads with which the Standard Fruit & Steamship line connects. But I gained a reasonable curve in the track. The next step will be attaching the track permanently and then cutting the rails at the joint where the removable shelf connects with the main layout.

The Pier 27 kit is coming along. The track modification that leads into the pier just barely clears the concrete plant.

The pier will give me spots for three more produce reefers:

Always good to someone making progress even if it ain't me!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
More progress on Pier 27's roof:

Coming along nicely, John. Thumbsup Thumbsup

What's the reason for the variation in the background shapes behind the door numbers?

Wayne
Fos gives the option on some of the numbers, and it just sort of adds to the quirky interest, as I see it!
It is impressive how you create a harbor scenery at that small space. The building you are working on is a real beauty.
Reinhard
Thanks -- I need some more seagulls (had some from a defunct supplier, but can't find any more at Walthers). Also need a pelican. Preiser apparently lists one, but not in stock.
Basic shed roof on Pier 27 complete:

Approach track reballasted and scenery in the area restored:

Cool lookin paint scheme on that Alco S...4? I also like that brick building.