Progress Shots
It's an Atlas yellowbox S-2 from the 1980s. The building is a Downtown Deco Triangle Fruit Co with some additions.
I pulled out some of my dormant Virginian projects. Before Atlas came out with its Train Master, I got a couple of bluebox Athearn Train Masters in Virginian, assembled and painted the handrails, and added a few tweaks.

I also remotored them:

However, Atlas then came out with its version, which was enough better that I focused on those and left the Athearns aside for some time. Then I found a dummy Athearn undec at a swap meet and did it up as a post-merger N&W unit. I pulled it out yesterday and did a little more weathering:

Originally I thought that, as a dummy, it would do best in a dead line as a scenery item, but I guess it's good enough to run with the Athearns (the N&W didn't mix the ex VGN units with much else). So then I decided I would number the Athearn VGN units for N&W post merger (I never got around to numbering them, in part because the VGN only put numbers in the number boards). The N&W ran the ex VGN units for some time in VGN paint with just new numbers:

So I'm going to add a few more details, number them for N&W (maybe have to make up my own artwork for the numbers on the cab side), and weather them. The N&W didn't wash them like the VGN did, which will help tone down the Athearn paint, which isn't as good as the Atlas.
I weathered the two units, added numbers to the numberboards, and added Microscale FM builder plates. I numbered them N&W 162 and VGN 63, only because these were the only combinations that would work with the remaining numbers on a Shell Scale numberboard set. I'm pretty happy with how the weathering turned out -- it took the "out of the blue box" look off and gave the units a little more credibility. I think I'll convert at least one to DCC soon:

I also got some Model Railstuff pier pilings to add to Pier 27. These are exactly the right size:

(Actually, speaking of Fairbanks-Morse, my wife is a Beloit College grad and was first runner up for the Miss Beloit contest an undisclosed number of years ago.)

Although it wasn't what you were highlighting, I really like your rock work behind those Trainmasters. The Pier 27 building looks fantastic...and regards to Mrs. jwb. Did she order something good from the menu? Smile
Wow, the improvement on the Virginian unit is particularly impressive. Subtle but very effective weathering! Don't forget to post the other units when done.

I'm curious to see this pier project continue. I wasn't sure at first how you would fudge all this together, but so far you're prooving me wrong and it's looking like a pretty neat scene.

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
I wound up doing a full hard-wire DCC install on one of the Virginian Athearn units. I don't like full hard-wire when there's no basic PC board or headlight mount to help, but even though I dreaded doing this one, it seems to be turning out OK. The LED headlights, front and rear, worked right the first time:

The job of installing them in the shell was only moderately crazymaking:

I've stuck them in with CA and will let them get good and dry before I put the shell on. I'm also dreading the job of stuffing all the wires in wthout having them foul the motor.

I'm only aware of two DVDs with shots of original Virginian diesels. One has a head-on shot of one of the 1600 hp units in service -- the headlight is on and very, very bright. I'm happy with the bright-white LEDs I'm using here. One of the big reasons I'm going to DCC is to get the headlight control.
And done! Address set, and direction bit set to run long hood forward! I'm really impressed with how well locos operate with a good-quality decoder.

I'm in the process of mocking up a feed mill that will go in at the end of the Sunkist industrial track:

I had originally intended to make it a metal bin facility, but I think the space is a little small for that. Instead, I'm working from a truncated version of the Shaller Feed Mill that's on Bruce Petty's site. Exactly how I do it and what I will add is still up in the air, but this is a start, and I'm already routing cars to it.
Here's a photo of a feed mill I found on Google Street View from Petaluma, CA. I think a truncated version of the shed end here might be a good preliminary building for this area, not too much trouble to set up, but could be replaced down the road:

I can't remember where I read this, but a long time ago I saw a remark on model railroad scenery that said on the prototype, there's as much scenery below track level as above it. In fact, I think one of the things that makes John Allen's G&D and Allen McClelland's V&O so realistic is that they pay attention to this. I kept it in mind in designing my layout, too.

In addition to larger bridges, I've worked to incorporate smaller drainages and culverts. I like to take pictures of them when I go out railfanning:

I figure the more things like this I can justify, the better. There was a company called Pre-Size that made several styles of concrete culvert, which I've already included on my layout:

I've found a good place to add another one:

I cut out a space in the subroadbed with drill and saber saw, then carved out the hardshell:

And clamped in a piece of scrap wood to serve as a ledge for the culvert to sit on:

Now to let it dry overnight!
Nice culverts, worth thinking about, thanks.
Test fit of culvert in the space I cut for it:

Subroadbed painted black behind openings and scrap material in place prior to "dirting in":

A culvert is something I really miss due to my flat layout design. Yours looks very good.
Reinhard
I like them too! Its cool that they include a construction date. Thumbsup