Shamrock Ave. Ft. Worth, TX
If it helps Peco Setrack (replacement train track) comes in !st radius at 14 5/8"(371mm), 2nd radius at 17 1/4" (438mm), and 3rd radius at 19 7/8" (505 mm). Hornby also do a 4th radius at 22.5" (572mm) There are a couple of firms (Roco is one) who did radius 0 at 12" (304mm), and Fleischmann(?) did a (brass)one at 10" - but I wouldn't recommend the three smallest for any normal train running - possibly a 0-4-0 loco and very short wheelbase (toy tinplate or NG critters) coaches for the two smallest only
I believe Atlas's own recommendation is that 15 inch radius curves will work with 50-foot cars, GP locos, and low speeds. I have a couple of 15-inch spurs on my layout (though no 180 turnbacks) and have seen no problems.
I model in HO, but at one train show where the modular club was set up a guy had a portable 4x8 N-scale layout with a large stereo mounted underneath. He had sound and on a small layout, you don't really notice that the sound doesn't travel with the train. The only problem with his solution as far as I was concerned was that there was no attempt to "scale" the sound. In the hall it sounded like a full sized train was going through the hall! I think a sound decoder driving decent speakers mounted under the bench work would allow you to have N-scale with sound.
You'd think it should work. Imagine all the 18"r Christmas tree layouts up right now that are doing like 200 scale mph all day long!! 15" isn't that much smaller and the speeds are at a sane pace.

I guess I'm just about ready to do this. Be patient, my progress is slow! This is the most I've worked on it in months! Icon_lol
Southern Tuxedo Wrote:I have a question…

Would heavily weighting the rolling stock help it track better through tight radius curves and hopefully avoid derailments?

Mark

No..Weight has nothing to do with cars operating realiable on tight radius curves on switching layouts where there is only 2-3 cars being pushed or shoved at slow switching speed.
--------------------------------
Shamrock Avenue-I like that name! Thumbsup
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Justinmiller171 Wrote:Here is what a GP-50 would look like on 15" curves in Xtrkcad:
[Image: GP50-15inch.gif]

As you can see it is extremely tight, I don't know if it would even fit on the track, there would also be problems with the couplers, even at slow speeds it might derail the train.

Now if 15" track works then great, in an industrial area there is nothing wrong with it visually.

I suggest you get a piece of 15" track and put the engine on it to see how it works, hiding the track with tight curves might be a problem if there is a derailment, derailments will always occur in the worst locations Wink.

Actually I think that picture is a tad exaggerated then it would be in reality.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Justin's right. 15 inch radius curves are for switchers and critters. An 18 inch radius would work better, especially since some of the switchers out now would only run on an 18 inch radius or larger. It's only 6 inches added on to the curve diameter.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Mike Kieran Wrote:Justin's right. 15 inch radius curves are for switchers and critters. An 18 inch radius would work better, especially since some of the switchers out now would only run on an 18 inch radius or larger. It's only 6 inches added on to the curve diameter.

Mike,Based on my past experiences with 15" curves on a ISL the GP50 shouldn't have any issues on a 15" radius-they're not that much longer then a GP7 which can operate around a 15" curve.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

The main problem with longer equipment occurs at the entry point of tighter radius curves due to coupler swing restrictions and ovehang issues. One option would be to use tansition radius curves or spiral easements, ie an 18" curve then use 15" radius curves for the majority of the radius and then finally ease out from the curve using another 18" radius. If there was enough room you could begin the transition using a 22" radius, then an 18" radius, 15" radius as necessary followed by 18" radis and 22" radius to ease out of the curve.
Obviously this is a lot easier to set up using sectional track rather than flex track but it can be done. There have been a number of articles in recent issues of Model Railroader Planning covering the easiest method to set out for spiral easements.
Another problem would be in the drawing of such curves unless your program allows you to lay down individual segments of track.
Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
Mr F,
The program was able to do sectional track, and that might be what I do since you can control the radius better and most of it will be hidden so you won't see all the joints.

In the program I used a piece of flex at each end of the curve just to make it fit better, but as a result, the radii at the ends is bigger than 15", so I'm hoping that will help ease it in.
macmiller Wrote:Mr F,
The program was able to do sectional track, and that might be what I do since you can control the radius better and most of it will be hidden so you won't see all the joints.

In the program I used a piece of flex at each end of the curve just to make it fit better, but as a result, the radii at the ends is bigger than 15", so I'm hoping that will help ease it in.

If you have the space use a piece of flex and gently shape it into a curve that will work.As crazy as it may sound I have formed 17" curves by doing that which was a little better then the 15" I planed on using.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Brakie Wrote:
Mike Kieran Wrote:Justin's right. 15 inch radius curves are for switchers and critters. An 18 inch radius would work better, especially since some of the switchers out now would only run on an 18 inch radius or larger. It's only 6 inches added on to the curve diameter.

Mike,Based on my past experiences with 15" curves on a ISL the GP50 shouldn't have any issues on a 15" radius-they're not that much longer then a GP7 which can operate around a 15" curve.

The Proto 2000 and Atlas stuff has a minimum radius of 18 inches. Some of the older Athearn has no problems, I can't speak for the newer models. We just have to run them and see.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

macmiller Wrote:I don't want to tear down any existing benchwork, nor do I have the room to squeeze out another 4 or so inches that would make it work the trouble to rebuild.

I would at least remove narrow piece at bottom right - if the drawing is anywhere near scale, that aisle there is way too narrow, and it forces you into an overly sharp curve.

Justin's proposal is, in my opinion, far better:
[Image: Shamrock.jpg?t=1322526721]

Smile,
Stein
Justin's proposal makes more sense. My only question is how would you switch the scrap yard without a runaround?
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Mike Kieran Wrote:Justin's proposal makes more sense. My only question is how would you switch the scrap yard without a runaround?

You would simply stage the train with cars for the scrap yard on the front of the train, The train is thought to of just entered the spur with cars already sorted.
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)