7x1 foot HO Palmetto Spur Variation
Here's the basic layout for a Palmetto Spur Variation in 7x1 feet. The track is Atlas Code 83 Snap Track with 18 inch Radius Snap Switches. Cheap and easy.
[Image: 6601055387_bff36e3725_b.jpg]
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Mike - the piccies have gone walk-about
Jack
Thanks Jack. My bad. I'm uploading pictures while ordering tickets to The Nutcracker. Gets confusing. 35
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
sent in error
Mike,Very nice!

Here all these years I thought I was the only one to use snap track and snap switches on small ISLs.. Icon_lol

That layout could be built and detailed to the max or one could use the minimalist approach so it could be stored between operation sessions..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Mike Kieran Wrote:Thanks Jack. My bad. I'm uploading pictures while ordering tickets to The Nutcracker. Gets confusing. 35
Imagine how the ticket agency feels after receiving your track plans! :?
Mike,

I like the layout, but I would avoid the structure along the edge of the layout. If you have the room, I would allow at least 18" of depth and place a road on the edge of the layout followed by a structure and then the major trackage. If you could curve this layout down another wall, I would place a run around track in the design. I don't know much about snap track, but I would do normal trackage if you are going to put the effort into this, but then again thats just me talking.

Larry
Larry,I think that building along the front of the layout makes the layout stand out plus it breaks up a "straight on" view...It shouldn't cause a problem since you can eyeball the car spots.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

I think I would go wider if I could just so I could add some detailing to the building interiour on that building to show what they do in there.You could always make a outer wall of clesr Lexan or styrene.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
Brakie Wrote:Larry,I think that building along the front of the layout makes the layout stand out plus it breaks up a "straight on" view...It shouldn't cause a problem since you can eyeball the car spots.
Hi Larry,
not knowing the height of his up-front building, nor the height of the layout and the way how he envisions (un)coupling i wouldn't be that sure.
With some dedicated car spots the view from the side might be not that good.
Paul
Paul,I still don't see a problem with a building along the front of a ISL..

To my mind that would break up the "oh hum" flat straight on look that ISLs inherit by being flat..

Of course one could use a nonrail served industry but,and IMHO,nothing looks as good as a rail served industry along the front edge.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Larry,
one more time:
when the layout is at armpit level and the building at the front rather high and long, it could be difficult to park a car just before a door and maybe it would not be that easy to uncouple or couple the car.
Without knowing these things i should be a bit careful.
Anyway modelrailroading is about finding the right balance. This balance is for every-one different.
I agree with you, a foreground building or even some trees are wonderful assets.
On the proposed layout I would choose for a shorter building, about 1 foot long, with an additional low (un)loading platform or a teamtrack.
Paul
Paul,I'll split the difference and say a tall building could be a problem.

As far as uncoupling that's no problem..

Use the KD coupler as they were intended to be used-you recall uncouple over the magnet back up to disengage the coupler,then push to spot? That method works quite well even in N Scale. Thumbsup
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Larry,

Just to way in on this discussion, I think that when you look at the plan, there is no need to have the background structures as deep as shown. Why not shallow profile the structures against the wall and actually increase the width of the structure in the foreground? You have one rear structure taking 6 inches of depth and the other three inches. Since there are no tracks leading into the rear structures, depth is not a key element. The edges of the rear buildings will most likely be scenic making their
actual depth hidden. Even if Mike decides to leave the structure on the edge of the layout, it would appear more credible to have a structure with depth in the foreground than against the wall.

If Mike wants to use the 12 width, there is no reason strip wood could not be added down the line to the exterior edge to build out the depth at a later date.

Larry B.

Mike Kieran Wrote:Here's the basic layout for a Palmetto Spur Variation in 7x1 feet. The track is Atlas Code 83 Snap Track with 18 inch Radius Snap Switches. Cheap and easy.
[Image: 6601055387_bff36e3725_b.jpg]
I like the design as is and would indeed narrow the building along the backdrop..I would be tempted to use these buildings from Walthers:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3192">http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3192</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3191">http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3191</a><!-- m --> I would add silos for cover hopper or tank car unloading.

For the building on the front of the layout this would be my choice.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3184">http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3184</a><!-- m -->

I have build several foot wide ISLs over the years and I focus more on detailing the narrow buildings I used-these was structure kits cut in half..

I would also add a trailer drop lot and two small nonrail served industries on the right end of the layout.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry