Hobby Paralysis?
We all run into a dry spell in our modelling every now and then. In fact, I just got over one I was having for the last seven or eight months. That may seem short to others who like have gone years with out picking up an X-Acto blade. It happens to everyone. It happens to the best.
And like any drought in the world, it will start raining again...And when it does...Its gonna pour.
You'll see.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Take a break!

I went to grad school in my late 40's. For 2 intense years I went to class, studied US political history and the East Texas timber industry, wrote and defended my thesis, taught 2 freshman US History classes a semester and interned as an exhibit technician at the Texas Forestry Museum. By the time I had my MA in hand, I was burnt out! For a "change of scenery," I took a temporary job as a truck driver. The truck driving job turned into 15 years in the trucking business. Not only was it profitable, I actually enjoyed it. Best "career move" I ever made! I've not taught a history or government class since. I began fooling around with model railroad stuff a couple of years ago after partially retiring. I found even a hobby can get too intense if you let it... I recently took a break from my last model railroad project and after a couple of months decided to change directions and start on a new layout. I've followed your layout progress for some time. You're doing a fine job. It may be time though to just close the door on it for a while, step back and take a break. This is a hobby - You're not painting the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, you're building your model railroad and having fun doing it!
Len Turner
Texas South East RR
http://tserr.blogspot.com/
Tyson Rayles Wrote:The hardest part of doing anything is always getting started. I find when I feel the way you do now I just go in the train room and force myself to start on something (not important what) that is a small project that doesn't take long (the instant gratification thing I guess) and usually the next thing I know is I have been back there for an hour or more and got that project done and more as well.

That's certainly true -- both for work as well as hobbies. When I'm starting on a project that's when I will procrastinate the most. Things are easier once I'm into the job.
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->
I for one am currently finding myself in the same situation as you GEC. After months of planning, I still have not been able to settle on that "final" track plan, nor can I get myself working on the ever growing list of projects that I keep thinking of to include. I have been able to actually operate the layout with various track arrangements and enjoy that quite a bit. But as for really getting started - just can't get going! I'll spend a hour or so running a train and will go off thinking to myself "tomorrow I'll start working on this or that", but those projects just seem to sit untouched.

I often have those anxiety feelings too. Some years ago, I was a really good at painting and decaling, but after about 10 years of not doing that, I'm scared to pick up the airbrush and get in to doing that again. Got a bunch of cars that I'd like to repaint and decal, but again, just can't get myself to try it. A hobby sure shouldn't make a person feel anxious!

As much as I enjoy model railroading, I just don't get as enthused about it as I used to some years ago and often it really takes a tremendous amount of effort to get myself working on something. Even the wife and a friend constantly after me to "do something" doesn't seem to motivate me in to really working on it. Now and then, I will get motivated and really tear in to doing something, such as relaying the track to test out a new plan, but once I can operate it, that seems to be as far as I get. Worse thing for me is how I keep buying equipment and other items and they end up just sitting in the box as I continue to plan and plan and ...

Here I am retired with nothing but time on my hands and most model railroaders that I've ever met would be working on that layout or whatever, all day (and night) - so why don't I? Too much planning? Too many different ideas to choose from? I don't know. Guess we've both just hit one of those dry spells and something will happen (when you least expect it) that will get us both moving again. It is after all just a hobby and not something that must be rushed.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
We probably all need a break from wherever we're doing or are into. My other "big hobby" is hiking & I would not want to hike every day otherwise it would become too rigorous. We need variety & breaks, and need to pace ourselves.
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->
RobertInOntario Wrote:We probably all need a break from wherever we're doing or are into. My other "big hobby" is hiking & I would not want to hike every day otherwise it would become too rigorous. We need variety & breaks, and need to pace ourselves.

I definitely agree with that, but the last few months was all school work! no time for the hobby at all.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
I have layout design paralysis, which I had finally cured when my wife decided to give me the papre bedroom for my layout, thus initiating a complete relapse while I start my design all over. :?
Hobby paralysis,,, I know what ya mean. Just look how long it took for me to respond to the thread :x . I've realised that track work is the least enjoyable part of the hobby to me, and I got a lot of it to do. I find my self looking for excuses not to do it , like answering posts on the gauge.. :? Is that a catch 22, a vicious circle or a conundrum Nope , or am i just getting wordy so I don't heat up the soldering iron. Maybe I should get my butt down stairs and just get it done, but wait my socks are out of order, and there's that tree in the yard that needs attention, well I'll just shut up now and maybe spike down some ties, or do mt taxes.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew