Texas Southeast Belt
Len,

Thanks for the information. I didn't even know that 18" brackets were available. Time to do more research...

Mark
Southern Tuxedo Wrote:Jack,

Are you logged on?

Mark

Yes - in fact to make sure, I logged out and back in - still little red X - but not in other posts - most odd!

<Edit> I went off to another post - and came back - and this time they all came up!!! I've obviously got GREMLINS!
Mark, these are the ones I used.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_239969-46882-241...0Organized
Len Turner
Texas South East RR
http://tserr.blogspot.com/
Len,

Thank you very much for the additional information, they look like they will work well for my layout. I have already sourced them at multiple places, but Lowe's is very convenient to me so thanks for the link. Inexpensive too. What more could I ask for? Thumbsup

Mark
After a couple months of web lurking, book looking, and a lot of waste basket material, I've finally come up with the 1st. draft of a basic track plan. Not the greatest or most innovative I'm sure, but I think it will provide a lot of switching plus some train running. The main components are a full loop with a staging yard and runaround, several industrial "switching districts," and a small railroad service and office facility. Minimum curve radius is 24" and all the main switching run turnouts are #6.

[Image: Base%2520Track%2520Plan%2520for%2520Web.jpg]

As for operations, I'm looking at "out and back" switching and single industry switching. The Warehouse District, the several major industries, and a variety of smaller rail-served industries should provide multiple car spots for several different types of rolling stock.

This is just a first draft so I'm sure I'll be making some minor changes and adjustments as I add the individual switching spurs and sidings.

Thanks to everyone for your comments, feedback, support and encouragement!
Len Turner
Texas South East RR
If you are looking for a crowded, industrial area like an urban or dock area, or just trying to fit a few more industries in, put your spurs on an angle to the backdrop and possibly run your mainline at an angle to the edge of the layout so it is not paralleling it -- you can then put industries along both sides of the main. Basically, on one side of a wall length will have 2" to the track from the edge, and the other end would be 3-4" from the backdrop to the track. Your buildings will not be flats along the wall -- they will be at an angle to the backdrop, looking more realistic and having depth. There was an article in MR -- I think it was titled "Building on a Bias", but I am not sure. The Union RR series by John Pryke in MR is a good example of industrial spurs on an angle instead of having them run parallel to the backdrop. Phase one of my layout is built on a "bias" because I wanted more industries in a given space, and I wanted a more "cramped look" --
[Image: IMG_8256.jpg]
[Image: 100_2453.jpg][Image: 100_2451.jpg]

Just something to think about since you are not set on a plan yet.

Chuck
Detroit Connecting
We are your
inner-city connection.
Chuck - the two small blue locos on the right of the diamond in the last picture - are they Hustlers? (just can't tell from the angle!), and if so, are they re-motored? Looks like a great switching layout

Thanks - Jack
Beautiful ballasting job! I like the track plan a lot too.. Looks like it will be fun to operate. Thumbsup
Ralph
Nicely flowing plan. What kind of track is that?
MrBill Wrote:Nicely flowing plan. What kind of track is that?

Thank you for the compliment. I used Atlas code 83 painted rail brown. The switches are Atlas Custom Line? mainly #4's and then 6's on either end of the passing siding. I am in the process of adding a 14 foot extension which will have staging and some more industry. Phase 3 will have a small yard and engine servicing facilities. It is a lot of fun to operate. I have website that has more info if you're interested: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.freewebs.com/detroitconnecting/">http://www.freewebs.com/detroitconnecting/</a><!-- m --> Keep in mind that I am not a web designer!

Chuck
Detroit Connecting
We are your
inner-city connection.
shortliner Wrote:Chuck - the two small blue locos on the right of the diamond in the last picture - are they Hustlers? (just can't tell from the angle!), and if so, are they re-motored? Looks like a great switching layout

Thanks - Jack

Yup, those are Hustlers. I added details and sprayed them for the Lansing Model RR Club -- the Hogsback and Southern. I used the Ernst regearing kit to slow them down. The motor is in the rear unit and the decoder is in the lead unit. They are a bit noisy, and it took a lot of tweaking to smooth them out a bit, but they are fun to run. One of these days I am going to get a Flea from NWSL and re-motor them to quiet them down.

Chuck
Detroit Connecting
We are your
inner-city connection.
Interesting - I have a double Hustle centre cab on an old Athearn chassis as a spare home-shop switcher - but all the actual Hustlers I've seen are like jack-rabbits goosed with a sharp stick!

2285_
Chuck, Thanks for the reply and track plan suggestions. You have an interesting track plan and some very nice track work! I'll be looking forward to seeing more of your layout progress.

I do have a couple of drawings I made with the angled main switching runs and may do something of that sort across the 24" wide section at the top of the drawing. I am planning on a 50's era layout, before the advent of the modern industrial park, when most of the industries and warehouses were mostly trackside, parallel to the tracks, but the upper left corner will have a feed & fertilizer plant and warehouse with non-parallel track work.

Again, thanks for the comments and suggestions!
Len Turner
Texas South East RR
I hope that overhead waste pipe never leaks! Confusedhock:
Lea,

I made a few suggestions on your track plan in order to maybe make it more of an out and back layout.

[Image: BaseTrackPlanforWeb.jpg]

My main suggestion would be to make a large industry in the bottom right corner and add a scenic divider to seperate it from the yard. With the space being limited I would not bother with stagging and would have an open yard with the addition of an interchange track to the rest of the world. Also with a hole in the scenic divider you can have the option of continous opertion, or point to point depending on your mood. The plan would allow for the possibility of having two operators one taking care of the yard, warehouse area and small industries. The other job could work the branch and the large industry in the corner. Just some thoughts, keep us posted!!
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/