Building "Clearwater Industries"
Hi Thomas,

The layout looks even better in the 'daylight', particularly the warehouses, Trujillo & Co and Sentry Industries, which I've seen in Lance Mindheim's books.

Perhaps you could let us know how you built the warehouses, are they kit-built or scratch-built?

regards,

Mal
Layout videos - <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/user/Alcanman1">http://www.youtube.com/user/Alcanman1</a><!-- m -->

New Westbrook <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=8888">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=8888</a><!-- l -->
Welcome to Big Blue. The integration of the water front in the ISL is very well done Thumbsup
Reinhard
Hello Thomas,

Nice to see your layout in this forum. Well done and some interesting buildings.

Daniel (Somewhere West)
Starting the project,

in the very beginning was benchwork - what else?

I cut pieces of wood into small stripes and built 2 segments for my layout.
this picture shows you the first mock up:

[Image: IMG_9155-1280.jpg]

then I "americanized" my German turnouts al litte and started with track laying and testing the new modules.
Buildings were represented by small boxes with an about average size of the target building...

[Image: IMG_9161-1024.jpg]

[Image: IMG_9162-1024.jpg]

I implemented pushrods for the turnouts (see the black marbles in front of the module) - first try!
[Image: IMG_9163-1024.jpg]

[Image: IMG_9165-1024.jpg]

[Image: IMG_9166-1024.jpg]

It was very important for me that the track was´nt parallel to the edge od the modules.

sincerely Thomas!
I hope I am not impolite,

some asked me questions - I hope I understood any question correctly and will answer them right now:

@Tyson Rayles: "day shots" are in, do you like them?

@steinjr: I do have a small basement with the chance to put my layout there. Give me a little time an I will show
you pics of that room.

@modelsof1900: Hallo Bernhard, nice to meet you here, last time we met was 2 years ago in Rodgau or in the German US-Modellbahnforum!

@alcanman: Hi Mal, you´re right, I went on the spurs of Lance Mindheim - you will see in the next days!
He inspired me for my Florida layout! I think he is a great artist!
@Lance: thank you for inspiring me!

@faraway: Hallo Reinhard, nice to meet you here!

@all: I hope I did not forget somebody´s questions, stay tuned, thank you!

sincerely Thomas
Thomas,

I really appreciate the build photos as I am always interested in seeing how others built their layouts. By the way, I completely missed the river or inlet in your finished photos, but it is very noticeable in the construction photos.

Mark
Southern Tuxedo Wrote:Thomas,

...By the way, I completely missed the river or inlet in your finished photos....

Mark

Hi Mark,

is it possible that you´re a little impatient?
I will show anything about my layout but I need a little time to select the pics and to upload them
in my webspace.

O.K. especially for you, here it is!
But it is not a river, it is a canal!

Do you recognize the "homemade water lily" in it?

[Image: IMG_0047-1280.jpg]
clearwater Wrote:I hope I am not impolite,

No, of course you are not impolite in any way. It is just that it is an excellent layout, and people are enthusiastic about seeing more.

Take your time to find pictures etc - don't feel rushed. And thank you for sharing pictures and descriptions of your work.

Smile,
Stein
clearwater Wrote:
Southern Tuxedo Wrote:Thomas,

...By the way, I completely missed the river or inlet in your finished photos....

Mark

Hi Mark,

is it possible that you´re a little impatient?
I will show anything about my layout but I need a little time to select the pics and to upload them
in my webspace.

O.K. especially for you, here it is!
But it is not a river, it is a canal!

Do you recognize the "homemade water lily" in it?

Hi Thomas,

Maybe, but more likely I was focused on all the other amazing details that you have included on your layout that I over looked some of the more subtle ones. The construction photos made it stand out and I had to go back to see how you seamlessly worked it into your scenery. Thanks for posting the additional close-up photo of your canal, your modeling is top notch and definitely needs to be studied.

Please add more photos at your leisure as we are really enjoying them. Popcornbeer

Mark
"Tyson Rayles: "day shots" are in, do you like them?"

Yes I do, they are very nice! Thumbsup Do you plan on adding a backdrop later?
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Tyson Rayles Wrote:"Tyson Rayles: "day shots" are in, do you like them?"

Yes I do, they are very nice! Thumbsup Do you plan on adding a backdrop later?

Sure!

But first of all I do "overhaul" and expand it - work is in progress, stay tuned!

Thomas
@Lance: if you read this - I went in your footprints through Miami
but I think they were a little too big for me!
Some places I like(d) more, some less.

Sentry Industries fascinated me - a big hall and then tankcars to supply - interesting!
Thanks to google maps - I went here:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://maps.google.de/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=de&geocode=&q=sentry+industries+miami&sll=51.151786,10.415039&sspn=18.121468,39.770508&ie=UTF8&hq=sentry+industries&hnear=Miami,+Miami-Dade+County,+Florida,+Vereinigte+Staaten&ll=25.826596,-80.255553">http://maps.google.de/maps?f=q&source=s ... -80.255553</a><!-- m -->

and here:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://maps.google.de/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=de&geocode=&q=sentry+industries+miami&sll=51.151786,10.415039&sspn=18.121468,39.770508&ie=UTF8&hq=sentry+industries&hnear=Miami,+Miami-Dade+County,+Florida,+Vereinigte+Staaten&ll=25.825959,-80.255674&spn=0.007185,0.013733&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=25.826141,-80.255542&panoid=19UGMK7-f2kkdbq72fMJbQ&cbp=12,87.17,,0,4.72">http://maps.google.de/maps?f=q&source=s ... 17,,0,4.72</a><!-- m -->

and took my own impressions of this structure.
then I reduced it because a lack of space and tried to work out the caracteristics. I think, I hit the target.
I built it from 3mm cardboard, paperboard, some rests of small cables, balsa, brass tubes, using
white woodglue, CA, a jigsaw and a sharp scalpel for cutting and sawing.

planing the space:
[Image: IMG_9747-1024.jpg]

seems to fit:
[Image: IMG_9750-1024.jpg]

adding details to the structure:
[Image: IMG_9754-1024.jpg]

with painted walls:
[Image: IMG_9760-1024.jpg]

backyard:
[Image: IMG_9762-1024.jpg]

should fit in it´s space:
[Image: IMG_9763-1024.jpg]

employees test the parking lot:
[Image: IMG_0034-1024.jpg]

secure with a high fence:
[Image: IMG_0045-1024.jpg]

Thomas
Thomas, super Thumbsup
greeting from the blade city Solingen / gruß aus der Klingenstadt Solingen

Harry

Scale Z and N
Thomas, great realisation of a small industry!
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Oh, Boy! The buildings on this site really are Eye Candy - our German members just keep on scratch building some really great stuff - and that is well up with the best Worship Worship Worship