A sand, stone and gravel dealer
Hi Y'all. I've been gone quite some time and have just gotten back to the hobby. Sorry for the long absence. I had just lost interest for awhile. A visit from Steve, a trip to the lhs and a local club helped rejuvinate me. I had, oer the last year and a half or so, really let my area get cluttered! So before I could start any project (and I had a lot of them!) I had to straoghten my work areas up. There were times I'd go into the workshop and look around, turn around and find something else, anything else. So I've bit the bullet, I just cleared everything off the benches and sorted thru it. I have three work benches and all of them were cluttered to the point of uselessness. As I got to the bottom of one of them, I found the stringers for an unloading trestle I had started many years ago, along with drawings. So, I've started a new project, one which makes sense because it helps complete the one peninsula I had been working on (the yard and engine facility area). Back in the late 60's early 70's, I was enamored of a place called Tidewater sand stone and gravel. It was in Hackensack N.J. on the Hackensack River, and as its name implies, got its materials by barge, not rail. I built two of the structures about 25 years ago, from photos I had taken. They've been sitting on the layout where they were intended to be placed for many years now. Some of you may have noticed them in various photos I've posted in the past. I'm close to finishing the unloading trestle now. So I thought I'd post about it and ask some questions!

Here is the area I'm talking about. The building which has a bloody smear from when I must have moved it with a pricked finger was the main building on the lot. The prototype sat along a sidewalf alongside a street, and the three sided display window had crude wooden crates tilted up with different types of crushed stone on display for the passers by. The building obviously needs some work. I can not locate my photos and haven't seen them for over 15 years. There was a truck scale on the opposite side of the building (my model has a blank wall there, as it would not have ben visable on the layout it was built for). I have no idea how this should look, can anyone psot a photo? I assume there would be a window nearby to facilitate signing for loads. Oh, the paper strips represent the road entering the yard, and the cardboard the building sits on will be a paved area. I'm thinking to put the scale and window on the side you see.

Here is the rest of the area, you see the other building. I loved the fact it looked like they took a saws all to the roof over the garage area to increase clearance. The two pieces of white styrene you see will be concrete bins for holding product, like the prototype.

Attached Files Image(s)

Here is one from the other side

And another

Another thing I could use some help with is info on available models of front end loaders. The ones I've found are too modern. A quick search on the prototype revealed that front end loaders were fisrt made in 1958, commonly available by 1960. But no photos. Can anyone help? It feels good to be into modeling again, I hope it lasts at least a few months! Thanks.
Earliest photos I'm finding are showing farm tractors with the loader on them, I guess it's a start. You can take a newer tractor and square it off and add bigger rims with thinner tires to make it look older.

Here we go, found some Ford's

"01" Series,

1960 Ford 641

[Image: 051148_ford_641_leftside_loader.jpg]

1960 Ford Model 801

[Image: 1960%20Ford%20801.JPG]
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
Good to see you back, Gary. Thumbsup Thumbsup

There's a photo of a tractor with a bucket operated with cables and a chain drive which can be seen HERE.

I also found a history of the machines, which date back to tractor-mounted versions in the '20s. The first true front-end loader was built by Hough in 1939 (and may have been the same model which I operated when I first started working in the steel industry) Misngth 357
You can check the info HERE, which may give you an idea of some of the brand names for which to search.

Wayne
Glad to see you back at work on the pike JGL. I think I vaguely remember that business that your building; is there a cement dealer there now? Hope to see more.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Thank you Tom and Wayne for the photos and links. I dug in my details box and found a blister pack of tractors by Lielike I had bought for flatcar loads. I think it will be quite a challange for me to bash it into a loader but I'm willing to try. Don't know if I'll be willing to post a pic though! Gotta look around for a bucket to avoid making one. Mixed up some sawdust and glue to make the embankments tonight.

Steve, I'm not sure what is on that property now, I haven't been there for many many years. I should go take a look, I can stop at White Manna for one or two of their famous (hereabouts) burgers.

Thanks again guys!
JGLfan,

Most industries with truck scales required a window, signal, loudspeaker or the use of CB radio to keep the driver informed of the need to move off the scale. Generally, they scale the load and the driver pulls off the scale and parks just past, either right in front or in a parking area and they go inside to sign for the BOL. Just about every truck scale I have ever seen has a short grade up to, and down from the scale. The scale surface itself is supposed to be level, as an accurate weight can not be achieved with the brakes applied.
I don't know if that is at all helpful to you.

Matt
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.
[quote="iis612"] Generally, they scale the load and the driver pulls off the scale and parks

You mean it's not like McDonalds? Smile

Thanks Matt, it is usefull.
Great to have you back Gary---looking forward to future posts Cheers
LOL Anytime.
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.
This scene is almost done, I'm doing some interior detailing on the main building (roof is off for some of these photos, hadn't realized it!) and some weathering is required but you can get a god idea of how it will look.

A couple closer in shots.

You see the tractor in the building, I made one poor attempt at scratching a bucket for it to make it like Tommustangs pic. Then I decided to buy a model and use its bucket. The model in stock was modern and the bucket too large. A pic with it will follow. It sticks out like a sore thumb with a steam loco behind it but is a really nice model.

A pic of the interior detailing in process. The prototype had wooden bins displaying various stone available in teh three sided window, which was on the corner of the sidewalk and driveway entrance. I've moved it to the large window and bult a dispaly of tools for the corner window. It needs some repositioning and I need to make some wheelbarrows for a floor display.

Here's the pic I mentioned above

jglfan Wrote:Another thing I could use some help with is info on available models of front end loaders.

Have you looked at GHQ Models <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ghqmodels.com">http://www.ghqmodels.com</a><!-- m --> they have an older style front end loader and also a loader/backhoe combo. Also Woodland scenics has a tracked bulldozer with a bucket attachment.

Bruce