Bachmann's Geep
I don't think there's been a good general discussion of remote control equipment from the modeler's point of view. In general, a remote control loco (from my observation) has three things: a set of antennas on the cab roof, a set of lights to indicate what it's doing, and a warning label. BLMA has a part #4550 which is an etched brass set of RCL antenna stands, which get you part way with the antennas, but not the lights -- and I'm not aware of any current decal set that has the warning labels, but I haven't followed this closely. Here is a UP GP38-2 with one version of antennas:     I think these (rear of cab roof, behind air conditioner) would correspond with style C on the BLMA sheet.

Whatever RJ Corman is doing with GP9s doesn't seem to be general practice, so you're sort of on your own here. I haven't seen the UP ex-GE RCL "sleds" in the past several years. I think when the gensets came to Southern California with RCL equipment built in, they got a lot less use.
Well, as long as this thread is on the Bachmann Geep, I ordered one, and first thing, I wanted to replace the couplers with Kadee 158 and replace the dummy plug. So I had to do a lot of figuring-out and reference to the (unhelpful) instruction sheet and discovered I needed to remove 6 small metric screws to take off the body. Naturally, one of those went south. So I e-mailed Bachmann for a replacement -- nearly every company will replace lost parts, in addition to missing. I got an e-mail from the service department saying they'd forwarded my e-mail to the parts department, asking for some sort of official bureaucratic permission to do this. Several days later, I got a reply from parts, saying the cost of the screw would be .25, plus $5.00 P&H, please send your credit card info right now. I objected, and they e-mailed back saying well, if there was a missing part under warranty, they'd replace it, but this is one you've lost, so you owe us $5.25.

$50 for a loco, and 10% of that to replace a bleepin' screw? Out comes the Dremel. Darn coupler pockets don't fit Kadees anyhow.
jwb Wrote:Well, as long as this thread is on the Bachmann Geep, I ordered one, and first thing, I wanted to replace the couplers with Kadee 158 and replace the dummy plug. So I had to do a lot of figuring-out and reference to the (unhelpful) instruction sheet and discovered I needed to remove 6 small metric screws to take off the body. Naturally, one of those went south. So I e-mailed Bachmann for a replacement -- nearly every company will replace lost parts, in addition to missing. I got an e-mail from the service department saying they'd forwarded my e-mail to the parts department, asking for some sort of official bureaucratic permission to do this. Several days later, I got a reply from parts, saying the cost of the screw would be .25, plus $5.00 P&H, please send your credit card info right now. I objected, and they e-mailed back saying well, if there was a missing part under warranty, they'd replace it, but this is one you've lost, so you owe us $5.25.

$50 for a loco, and 10% of that to replace a bleepin' screw? Out comes the Dremel. Darn coupler pockets don't fit Kadees anyhow.

The two screws hidden under the tank are a nasty trick. It took me some time to discover them 357
Which screw got lost? Only the coupler screws are critical. One less of the hidden screws under the tank is not critical. Tank can be mounted with dual side sticky tape s well. I would have problems to get a specific none metric screw here in Germany but it should be easy for you in LA?
I did simply replace Bachmann's couplers with Kadee #158, no pocket used. Only minimal sanding was required to let them freely swing.

I think Bachmann has to be nitpicking on that screw. In their low cost segment would the shipping eat their profit. However I am sorry for our trouble.
Reinhard
Nice service orientation with the screws... Nope
It was the coupler screw. The parts sheet gives the same number for all the screws, so while they seem to be slightly different in the head shape and length, it looks like you get the same thing for your .25. You're right that you can fudge with the Kadee 158s, but it is in fact a fudge, and I'm thinking I may as well grind the coupler mount and drill and tap for 158 boxes anyhow, if I'm going to that trouble.
jwb Wrote:It was the coupler screw. ...
Have you been shopping for the screw in the meantime? I am sure an original California screw will be a great improvement Wink
Reinhard
Still thinking about what to do -- probably just drill and tap for next larger US size screw. Not on my top list of projects at the moment! It's a CN unit, and I have some old Juneco CN style spark arresters to put on it.
Beside your tough luck of the lost screw do the Kadee #158 couplers not swing perfectly free. They are a touch thicker than the originals. I fixed that with a washer. In metric it is a diameter 1.7 washer for 1.6 screws.
The dimension in inch are: thickness 0.01, diameter 0.126, diameter of hole 0.068
Reinhard
Actually, I sent a complaint about the screw situation to the sales e-mail at Bachmann, since the service e-mail gave me the ridiculous answer. Sales got the parts manager to send me an e-mail, and now it looks like they're going to treat it as a warranty situation, since I could send them my receipt saying I'd bought it less than 90 days ago. It's still odd that they'd spend heaven knows how much time on it trying to get me to send them $5.25 for a small screw!

You're right about the Kadee 158s. The S-4s have a similar problem. I would do what I did with the S-4s, but the coupler mount except for the plastic lid on the GP9s is metal, and I didn't want to get out the dremel.
I used to have a site saved to favorites that featured small hardware, but I can't find it now. It amazes me how manufacturers will some times treat customers about something like a small screw getting lost. As far as bad instruction sheets go, having worked on my Japanese motorcycles back when I was younger, the only thing useful in a Yamaha or Honda service manual at the time was the pictures. The "English" was unintelligible! Good idea contacting the sales dept. The sales dept of any company thinks of making more sales. The parts dept often is totally short sighted and doesn't think about anything but their own inconvenience.
Corman got the hand on some other used Geeps. It will become the 9005 and 9010 running long hood forward (horns on the long hood) and 9002 with remote control.

[Image: IMG_1475.jpg?t=1336586534]
Reinhard
It toke some time until the guys in the paint shop completed their work. The 9010 in the first row is still awaiting the bell at the front nose and will also get remote control installed. It will serve as the yard switcher. 9005 and 9002 in the second row run long hood forward (notice horn on long hood) and service counter clockwise track 1 and 2 of the staging yard. 9007 and 9008 in the third row are on duty since some weeks and will run clockwise on tracks 3 and 4 of the staging yard.
All have to come back to the shop in the near future to get MU hoses and some get lights on the cab roof. I have to fiddle with the stacks too. Corman did some unique modifications.

[Image: IMG_1500.jpg?t=1337274139]
Reinhard
Oh man, if had had known what I had started when I painted my Corman geep … Icon_lol . Seriously, that is a beautiful fleet of Corman geeps. I love it Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup .
Kurt
cnw1961 Wrote:Oh man, if had had known what I had started when I painted my Corman geep … Icon_lol . Seriously, that is a beautiful fleet of Corman geeps. I love it Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup .
Kurt, Corman is a short line and an addiction infected from your one photo 357 I have still to do a lot of details but they are up and running!

ps. I am surprised, also the new three Bachmann Geeps are running fine too. Bachmann did a drive mechanic at the low budget end with an astonishing smooth ride.
Reinhard
OUTSTANDING Fleet !!!!! Love Geep's anyway, but they sure look impressive. Got to get me a few, and repaint in Grand Truck color's. Popcornbeer
Member of: GRAND TRUNK WESTERN HISTORICAL SOCIETY
[Image: image.php?mode=thumbnail&album_id=229&image_id=4521]