Bachmann's Geep
Will the Bachmann mechanism fit in a P2K GP-9 shell? I picked up 3 Western Maryland GP-9 shells and need mechanisms. At the cost of the Bachmanns I can get them running cheaper & faster.
Roger Huber
Since the locos are the same size, there shouldn't be much problem just in getting the hood to fit, and the detail on the P2K is better than the Bachmann, while the Bachmann chassis runs better than the P2K (at least, the old ones, which had the axle gear problem anyhow). The main issue is that the Bachmann shell is mounted very differently, and you may have a challenge in getting the P2K to attach to the Bachmann chassis in any positive way.
I really like your Freelance 2011 layout. Almost exactly what i'm looking to build, really great work.
My wife an I went downtown Stuttgart for no specific reason today. I discovered a LHS (Schueler) had a Bachmann sale of various engines in the low cost area at special prices (and no international shipping cost, no import taxes etc.). I could not resist and got three more Geeps for an undefined future project. I picked Clinchfield due to the light gray and pale yellow paint scheme. I is the perfect primer for any further paint project. All three Geeps got a strong break-in of one hours in each direction and a fine Zimo DCC decoders. And gaian, like the other Bachmann Geeps, they are great smooth runners now Big Grin

[Image: 0e414ab3.jpg?t=1339693264]
Reinhard
I think that is the first time I've seen a Clinchfield diesel paint scheme. Everything I've seen previously on Clinchfied was steam. That is a pretty paint scheme!
I finally got to see some Bachman GP7s and RS3s in action during our antique farm equipment open house I dare say those are very smooth runners.

Looks like Bachmann has raisen their bar to the next level. Thumbsup
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
I toyed around and got me a phantasy switching line serving the east industry.
[Image: e3534d44.jpg?t=1339995287]
[Image: 09f5d996.jpg?t=1339995688]

It reminds me at the old Geep I did find in Galveston last year.
[Image: IMG_0354.jpg?t=1311820473]
Reinhard
Reinhard,What did you use to remove the lettering?

I have the sound equipped S4 ordered and I want to remove the lettering.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Brakie Wrote:Reinhard,What did you use to remove the lettering?

I have the sound equipped S4 ordered and I want to remove the lettering.

I do use a scalpel for that kind of scrape off operation. It is the most sharp knife on the market and the non-sterile blade (not to be used in a hospital!) is very cheap at ebay in quantities of 100 and more.
Reinhard
The gray Clinchfield scheme was used thru the mid-to-late 1960s, with the SD40s and GP38s getting it. But the Clinchfield was fairly well off, and it repainted pretty frequently. Even so, Reinhard, you ought to keep one of those as Clinchfield, since it's a southern line, and it even had some industrial switching in the Kingsport, TN area. But it should be pretty dirty-black weathered in service.
jwb Wrote:The gray Clinchfield scheme was used thru the mid-to-late 1960s, with the SD40s and GP38s getting it. But the Clinchfield was fairly well off, and it repainted pretty frequently. Even so, Reinhard, you ought to keep one of those as Clinchfield, since it's a southern line, and it even had some industrial switching in the Kingsport, TN area. But it should be pretty dirty-black weathered in service.

Jep, it's an old coal hauler. http://www.american-rails.com/clinchfield-railroad.html I do usually refrain from coal lines etc. because they run long and heavy trains not matching a small ISL try well.
Reinhard
Ok..I check into those scalpels.Thanks!
---------------------------------------------
I do usually refrain from coal lines etc. because they run long and heavy trains not matching a small ISL try well.
---------------------------------------------
Actually some coal haulers served industrialized areas in larger cities.

Why?

A railroad needs to serve several types of customers in order to stay in business since coal mines can shut down from working the deposit out or worst a cave in or explosion that seals the mine.A mine can close for other reasons.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

I have no plans or intentions to use the new Geeps for a dedicated theme in the near future. I bought them because of the special price to put them on shelf only. The one I toyed with at the weekend was a test vehicle to see if the handrails could be removed (worked great on the SP GP7, but did not work at the Corman GP9!) to do a modern front plate with MU hoses etc. The black paint was just to cover that reworked area.

But I got attracted by Geeps again and I put my Corman roster on the layout an hour ago and there will be a Corman session tonight Smile
Reinhard
Reinhard,You could do some of the Red/Silver/Black Corman Geeps.. Wink

Just a passing throught.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Brakie Wrote:Reinhard,You could do some of the Red/Silver/Black Corman Geeps.. Wink

Just a passing throught.

I did think about that when I did the last batch of Corman Geeps. But the handrails of the Bachman GP9 are glued in place like hell. That made is close to impossible to do the silver belt at the engines and I was happy with the much simpler pure red scheme that could be made without removing the handrails. And to be fair five Corman engines/Geeps are enough for my layout Wink

I do not know why but I have very little problems to remove the handrails at the Bachman GP7. No glue was used. That was the test I did this weekend after it worked so well at the GP7 I used as base for the SP Geeps.
Reinhard