A real bargain
Got this email today from our local "An Affair With Trains" dealer. Great buy at almost 10X retail, just that it's the wrong scale for my layout... Icon_lol

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Ha ! Goldth

I remember when I was in the car business , we had a misprinted ad for a used pickup truck for $14 million ....had several calls asking if that was a typo ?!.... Duh
I should have said , " Hey I can get you that one for only $13 mil !!"

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
The thing is, maybe it isn't a typo, it could be that the regular in-store pricing is $4400.00 and they're running an on-line sale of 50% off. 357 357
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Don, have you been in that store since he relocated? I'm wondering if he stocks more stuff now. Before I would go in there looking for basic items like paint, and he would be out of the colors that I needed (like BLACK).
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
I remember "An Affair With Trains " from when my wife and I would visit Scottsdale ....also Coronado Models , and ( I think ) Roys Trains .....there were 4 or 5 shops in the general area that I made a point of going to back in the mid to late '90's .

Terry
Quote:Don, have you been in that store since he relocated? I'm wondering if he stocks more stuff now. Before I would go in there looking for basic items like paint, and he would be out of the colors that I needed (like BLACK).
--
Kevin
I was in the place once, it's not really convenient up there by the Deer Valley Airport. The place is in an industrial complex and you have to walk through the office area to get to the store, which used to be a warehouse. He did not have a whole lot when I went there and the place was dark and not very store-like. He was sharing it with some other model merchant, R/C I think. To me, it wasn't worth the drive from where I am.

Quote:I remember "An Affair With Trains " from when my wife and I would visit Scottsdale ....also Coronado Models , and ( I think ) Roys Trains .....there were 4 or 5 shops in the general area that I made a point of going to back in the mid to late '90's .

Terry
They moved about two years ago from down on Bethany Home Rd., to about five miles north at the airport. I'm assuming the rent was too high where they were. Roy's in Mesa is still a better place to shop, but I don't like the smell of the cat litter or like chasing a cat off the merchandise to look at, so I stay away from there as well. Besides, it's about 45 miles from where I live and don't ever go there unless I'm in the area. Roy's in Scottsdale is a lot smaller and is not always open from what I hear. I've never been to Coronado since I don't think they handle any N scale. That kind of leaves Hobby Bench with a few stores in the area, but the are mostly crafts and R/C with a small section for trains. I don't like to shop there because of their attitude, but if I need something in a hurry, I'll go to the one thats about 10 miles from my house.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Roy's in scottsdale closed, and the building now houses a small museum. Coronado is almost 100% narrow gauge. I think the guy that used to own an affair with trains sold it to the current owner. First, he expanded, and then a few years later moved the store. I think he didn't like the neighborhood it was in (I don't blame him)
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
nachoman Wrote:Roy's in scottsdale closed, and the building now houses a small museum. Coronado is almost 100% narrow gauge. I think the guy that used to own an affair with trains sold it to the current owner. First, he expanded, and then a few years later moved the store. I think he didn't like the neighborhood it was in (I don't blame him)
I have never been to the railroad park at McCormick Park. I remember back in the 60's I used to drive by there on the way to work and it was a working ranch with the railroad around the house across the street from where it is now. There was very little there between Shea and downtown Scottsdale in those days and certainly nowhere that I knew to buy MRR stuff. Still today, I think the Phoenix area comes up short for walk-in stores that cater to the model railroader.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
WOW!...Kato has really jacked their prices up! Last time I bought a Kato loco it was only $1000.00
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
eightyeightfan1 Wrote:WOW!...Kato has really jacked their prices up! Last time I bought a Kato loco it was only $1000.00
Yeah, but that was probably sometime in the 70's. Things have changed since then... 357 Goldth 357 Besides, the cost of living here in our area goes up in the winter so you can expect a higher markup on stuff like this. Icon_lol
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
eightyeightfan1 Wrote:WOW!...Kato has really jacked their prices up! Last time I bought a Kato loco it was only $1000.00

That was with assembly required, right? That would account for the good price. Smile
I remember ...I think ....another shop in the Scottsdale area , Jerry's Trains ?.....bit of a grumpy guy and you paid cash , no credit cards . I think I bought a Campbell's kit there if I recall .
Coronado was one of the most cluttered shops I've seen but the owner seemed to know where everything was .Yeah , lots of narrow gauge .
I don't remember any cats at Roys , just that Roy was quite personable ....asked where I was from and what I was building , etc. Lots of Canadians visit that area so he was used to that bit . It was a very clean shop ....this is about '97-98 or so .
I also miss going to the race track ....Manzanita .....really like the dirt sprints .

T
teejay Wrote:I remember ...I think ....another shop in the Scottsdale area , Jerry's Trains ?.....bit of a grumpy guy and you paid cash , no credit cards . I think I bought a Campbell's kit there if I recall .
Coronado was one of the most cluttered shops I've seen but the owner seemed to know where everything was .Yeah , lots of narrow gauge .
I don't remember any cats at Roys , just that Roy was quite personable ....asked where I was from and what I was building , etc. Lots of Canadians visit that area so he was used to that bit . It was a very clean shop ....this is about '97-98 or so .
I also miss going to the race track ....Manzanita .....really like the dirt sprints .

T
It's been probably two or three years since I was at Roy's in Mesa. My wife and I had to leave after just a few minutes the last time we were there. The stench coming from the cat litter box in the back room was too much to take. We might stop by again, but we rarely get into that area since we moved to the west side of town. If anyone has been there recently, let me know what it's like now, cats, no cats, stench, no stench, good selection, bad selection. I know this, I have bought a lot of used cars at reasonable prices from there, but getting nauseated is not worth it.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
ezdays Wrote:If anyone has been there recently, let me know what it's like now, cats, no cats, stench, no stench, good selection, bad selection. I know this, I have bought a lot of used cars at reasonable prices from there, but getting nauseated is not worth it.

Still cats... still stinks... still a good selection of stuff. Parking is a bit tight if you are driving anything other than a compact.
Scotland shall rise again!