Does this make me a FAILURE ?
Wow , $500 ...didn't know that .....I think I'll hold on to my money .

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
Tom -

I use a "pentab" for a field computer at work. I use it for mapping. Picture an older, heavier, and more rugged i-pad. It has no keyboard, but you can plug in a keyboard and mouse. It's a pain in the butt to use for anything but field mapping.

I also have a newer field computer called a "toughbook". It's basically a rugged laptop with a touch screen that can be swiveled so that it can be used as a tablet. The built in keyboard makes it much more versatile.

I can see a few applications where a tablet would be useful, but I few situations where a standard laptop (or netbook) wouldn't be even more useful.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
nachoman Wrote:...I can see a few applications where a tablet would be useful, but I few situations where a standard laptop (or netbook) wouldn't be even more useful.
I second that. We bought an iPad 2 last year. It does not replace anything. It is something different. I like it to browse the internet without having to sit at my office desk. It is nice to read BIG BLUE on the couch or on lazy Sunday mornings in the bed. My wife had it with here when her father passed away last year. It was a small but useful vehicle to do email and get information from local authorities, insurance and pension fonds how to handle that situation.
However, it is 99% a fun toy. It is not a machine you need to own at all.

I got this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZbZ5Qj9zrM as a late xmas gift from my brother last weekend. That is a machine that requires an iPad or iPhone 357
Reinhard
nachoman Wrote:I can see a few applications where a tablet would be useful, but I few situations where a standard laptop (or netbook) wouldn't be even more useful.
see that's where the problems rise, it can't be a replacement for a notebook, it never will be. Heck they can't even figure out how to install flash into them
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
Mac's don't use Flash because Steve Jobs never liked flash, in fact he hated it. I'm not a iFan, just something I've learned about him by listening to others who know more about this stuff then I do.
tetters Wrote:Mac's don't use Flash because Steve Jobs never liked flash, in fact he hated it. I'm not a iFan, just something I've learned about him by listening to others who know more about this stuff then I do.
The iPad and i Pod have no flash. The iPhone has a flash. I assume the iPhone competition made him rethink. However, it is a strange feeling to do photos with the relative large iPad. I did never really use that function. I had the small iPod in my rear trouser pocket to do photos all the time during my US trip last year. That was very convenient. http://s966.photobucket.com/albums/ae149...US%202011/
Reinhard
tetters Wrote:Mac's don't use Flash because Steve Jobs never liked flash, in fact he hated it. I'm not a iFan, just something I've learned about him by listening to others who know more about this stuff then I do.

There would be no Apple if it weren't for Microsoft buying a chunk of their stock in the 1990s to avoid monopolizing charges.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
I'm finding it amusing that as the guy who often claims to be the resident Luddite on this forum I can do this:

[Image: 005-3.jpg]

Ralph Misngth
That's right, he didn't like it so he didn't want it on his stuff, and he didn't understand why people don't buy apple, it took the new technology at the time (ipod) that one of his cronies invented that kept him in the game at all.

Just think if his stalinist views weren't bad there would've be more apple users decades before the ipod. Guy was an idiot in charge of genius'
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
Hey I got one of them doohickies ....

[Image: George-Vlosichs-Etch-A-Sk-005.jpg]

cuppla bucks at a yard sale down the street ....amazing what I can do with that puppy ....managed to etch " The King " Goldth

T
My wife wanted a Kindle Fire so she can read books. She loves it, and does her internet and email at times when she doesn't want to go on line with the puter. She borrows books to read as well as all the freebie downloads. I just work on the layout. Icon_lol
Charlie
Nice work on the drawing T!!! Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol
" I gotta hunka-hunka burnin' love " .......... Cheers

T
"I'm all shook up!" 357
Ralph Wrote:"I'm all shook up!" 357
No, no, no. You don't do that to an etch-a-sketch... Nope
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD