Yard as a Layout
hi Brakie,

if you had paid a wee bit more attention you should have known I (SteinJr as well) always make a drawing to show how my view can be achieved in the space of the original poster. Or can't be as with the plan you presented some time ago.
Time to quit Larry (this last line can be read in more then one way, nothing personal too and pretty civil as well).
We should give this thread back to the original poster.
BTW part of the postings in this thread were based on false assumptions of Paul Dolkos layout. Being a wee bit more careful about someone else's work ain't that bad.

Paul
Quote:BTW part of the postings in this thread were based on false assumptions of Paul Dolkos layout. Being a wee bit more careful about someone else's work ain't that bad.

Paul

I have seen photos of Mr.Dolkos layout so there was no real false assumptions and besides that I was commenting on the yard plan that was presented by SteinJr..
------------------------------------------
Quote:Time to quit Larry (this last line can be read in more then one way, nothing personal too and pretty civil as well).

Quit what? Giving different views? Sorry! Never happen..Again I share my views and thoughts to one and all and its never personal..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Brakie Wrote:...Quit what? Giving different views? Sorry! Never happen..Again I share my views and thoughts to one and all and its never personal..

You are right, that's what this and many other forums are all about. We all have different views on any given subject and to discuss them is healthy. You get to know what others think and maybe even change your mind after looking at a different viewpoint. As long as things don't get nasty or personal, there's no cause for alarm. Also, we all have our own personalities. I get along fine with my wife... most of the time, Icon_lol but we have our different personalities, likes and dislikes, and that's a good thing too. Besides, it's fun to make up... Cheers

This is a very interesting discussion, I'd hate to see it not continue, or get into a shouting match. Lots of thought here... Thumbsup
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
My intended operations of the Woodsriver-based modules are based on the club's (<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.hotrak.ca">www.hotrak.ca</a><!-- w -->) practices. Short trains will be the norm. Operations at the club tend to have 5 - 10 car trains max as jobs so as not to tie up the main too long for passenger operations or those who run "thru freights".

All switching jobs are less then 10 cars (usually 5 - 7). Coincidentally this will allow easy reversal on the wye and backing to the arrival track. We already include two satellite "yards with industry" from time to time, where an entire cut of cars is left to be picked up and switched by a local engine (Castor River and NTC Yard which serves NTC Branch). So I anticipate that Woodsriver could work in a similar way. I still have to circulate the plan to the module design group at the club.

The bonus for me is that I am interested in modelling "between the wars", so shorter trains, mixed trains, doodlebugs, and other long-gone operations are perfectly fine by me Wink Big Grin

Andrew
Andrew,That sounds very interesting and down to earth railroading..
--------------------------
The bonus for me is that I am interested in modelling "between the wars", so shorter trains, mixed trains, doodlebugs, and other long-gone operations are perfectly fine by me.
----------------------------

Yeah,in the last days of mixed freights and doodlebugs the express freight from Sears and the train crew could outnumber the paying passengers. Confusedhock:

I read about such in Trains and Railfan magazines and "Mixed Train Daily" by Lucius Beebe . Thumbsup

I don't recollect the railroad's name but,it wasn't allowed to drop its mixed freight so,any paying passengers had to ride in the caboose which IIRC amounted to 1 or 2 passengers a month..Trucks took over the remaining mail and express freight business.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Larry,

Canadian National was mandated to provide passenger service long after it was profitable to do so (if it ever was). Hence CNR's long experimentation with self propelled cars.

CNR had several arrangements like Woodsriver, where station, engine tracks, industry and a few "house tracks" for switching were located off a wye. Southampton and Durham were two although they were at the ends of their respective subdivisions.

Andrew
Andrew,The Kinniconic & Freestone Ry enginehouse,watertank and coaling area(coal was shovel from a gon spotted on a elevated track into the tender) was inside of a wye and their 3 track yard was located along the right leg of the wye.After dropping the train in the yard the engine would be turned on the wye so it would be in the right direction for the next day's run.The K&F made its living hauling stone and for awhile operating excursion trains to Carter Caves from Stone City(now Garrision) Ky..After the demise of the railroad the right leg of the wye was used for loading pulpwood.

Today there's nothing left of this railroad other then footing for a water tank near Carter City(now Carter) Ky.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

The Durham wye was like that. The single main was one leg, the second was the spur to a quarry, and the third leg has the station, engine facilities, industrial sidings, and the house track. However, nothing was inside the wye. That, along with most of the rest of CNR's southern Ontario track is now gone... Sad Very interesting stuff though. Wink

Andrew
Andrew,There is so many ways to use a wye and you're bound to find a prototype in the annuals of railroad history.

I forgot to mention the C&O bought the K&F Ry and operated the road as their "Kinny Branch".

Try this at your next ops.

A flood wiped out the wye at Cater City and since the branch was in decline the C&O decided not to repair the wye..So,the branch mixed freight(2-10 cars of stone and combine) would reverse move back to Garrison from Carter(around 28 miles) take the left leg of the wye and head back to Russell.C&O ripped out the enginehouse,water tank and yard shortly after taking over the K&F.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry