Building my CN/G&M Dash 9-44CW
Bought this big beast the year Athearn brought them out.I changed my primary scale (to N scale)the next year and this got put in a drawer and more or less forgot about it.Earlier this year I joined a multi scale club and decided I needed some real power for it.

While I was digging through the HO locos I still owned I discovered this way in the back of the drawer.I test run it and it ran like a new loco so this project got started.In 1997 there was a article in Model Railroading about building one of these.One of the sources for the cab was H&D Hobby Distributing inCalgary,Alberta,Canada. I did a Yahoo search not expecting anything good,but they are still there and they still have the cab. Goldth

Anyway here arec a couple pictures to show what I've done so far.First step was to remove the AC unit as these locos didn't have it ,or it was mounted somewhere else.Like the one in the origonal article after I removed to AC I made a cover panel from .005" styrene to save a lot of putty work.

[Image: dash-1.jpg]

Here is a pic of the cab setting in place but otherwise untouched.I like the big GEs but I think they would look better if GE had adopted this cab for all of the big locos.Except for some mods to the air tanks and the cab,all the modifications are on this (pictured) side of the loco.

[Image: dash-2.jpg]
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
Very cool. I wonder why they got rid of the AC unit?
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:Very cool. I wonder why they got rid of the AC unit?

Canadians don't need cold air machines? Icon_lol
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
tomustang Wrote:
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:Very cool. I wonder why they got rid of the AC unit?

Canadians don't need cold air machines? Icon_lol

Perhaps, yet Canadian Pacific runs right down into Philadelphia, and it might be to hot here for our Northern Neighbors! About a week ago it was ridiculously hot.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
The air conditioner, as I understand it, is for the computer, not the crew. This is why NS went to air conditioners! The A/C on a comfort cab is under the floor.
Catt please quit working in the wrong scale! Goldth Goldth Goldth
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Mike,I have done the same loco in N scale.I still need to remove the AC from the N scale version,as of yet I have not found a glue that work on the Delrin (handrails) plastic.

[Image: 4405-3.jpg]
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

Building something in the right scale is no excuse for building something in the wrong scale Catt! Icon_lol Kidding aside if you scuff up the parts of the handrail where the glue will go gel type super glue should work.
Mike

Catt,
Here's another "wrong scale" C&NW Dash 9, with an SD50, SD60. All kitbashes. The 50/60 started as SD40T-2's, the Dash 9 started as a Dash 8 40C. The Dash 9's ( the first of them ) had just arrived on the C&NW, which is why I chose to model it at the time.

Attached Files Image(s)

We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Great looking locos Pete!
Mike

Pete, I agree with Mike those are nice locos.On the subject of Dash do you know that the first Dash 9s on the CSX roster were built using Dash 8-40CW bodies?
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

Catt Wrote:Pete, On the subject of Dash do you know that the first Dash 9s on the CSX roster were built using Dash 8-40CW bodies?

That I didn't know. I'd have to do some research to be sure, but I believe the -9 bodies were about 18" longer than the -8 bodies, but i think the wheelbase was the same.
C&NW 8601 - 8730 were, I believe, the first Dash 9's
My model's first train show run, was at Trainfest '94 :o :o a little over 17 years ago :o :o

Time flies when you're having fun!!!
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
The only HO Dash 8 I have is a Bachmann but it is a ball park figure 18" shorter than the Athearn Dash 9.I wish I could aford one of the ATLAS Dash 40 Cs. There is definately a difference in the wheelbase.One of the guys at club one with sound and it looks and sounds soooo good.

I like my Bachmann but it does not have any lights (the lite board had a short so I removed it) As far as I am concerned it runs as good as any of my KATOs.I need to find the end railings as the ones that were on it are lost in the mist.

My information on the CNW units is that they were indeed the first Dash 9 bodies.

If ATLAS ever has their DASH 8-40C shells in their store I will buy and another Athearn DASH 9 and make a NS DASH 9 40C.

But first I think I will finish this DASH 9. :mrgreen:
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

Must be about time for a small update. Eek

This is the current fate of the shell,between the resuin cab and the long hood there are 40 #80 drill holes,and as you can see no radiator grilles.

[Image: dash-5.jpg]

These are the holes I cut into the radiator grille,not a job for the faint of heart unless you have a spare panel.I did not have one.The DA Etched grille kit will be filling those holes ,probaly tomorrow.

[Image: dash-3.jpg]
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

Couple more progress pics.First one is the DA grilles installed.Makes quite the difference.There are more grilles to install but every place I have put them they just look wrong.

[Image: dash-6.jpg]

Rear grabs mounted I think I will add one more at the top.

[Image: dash-7.jpg]
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"