A nice offer I couldn't refuse
steinjr Wrote:Hi guys --

Got a nice surprise yesterday - an email from Joe Fugate over at Model Railroad Hobbyist magazine, with a question on whether I would agree to to letting them use some (like 14) of the small switching layout plans (and the comments on these plans) I had posted in various discussions on the MRH web forum plans for an article they were working on.
Smile,
Stein

Well deserved Stein. I'm still thankful for the help that you and others on this forum gave me when I was asking for help on my shelf layout design. A couple of plans that you drew up (I was astounded you took the time) really helped frame a better solution.

Coincidentally, I was over at MRH today (I don't get on to the forums much, less so on that one) trying to find my original post asking for help on the same shelf layout mentioned above. The conversation there stopped with the dreaded "first figure out what you want" question - a question that is very hard to answer when you're just kicking ideas around (or have no idea what you're doing).

Congratulations Stein,
Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio
Congrats! It is exciting when someone notices your work!

I also received a message out of the blue, which led to me building a car as a "black" project for an article. They paid me for the article, but they haven't published it in the more than year since. Oh well. I'd really like to see it in print.

I probably spend more time each month reading MRH than MR, RMC, or the Gazette. I enjoy it. I look forward to seeing your plans in future editions!
Michael
My primary goal is a large Oahu Railway layout in On3
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->
Goodness - that was very fast - seems like the article with my track plans already has been published in the June MRH (http://issuu.com/mr-hobbyist/docs/mrh12-...eNumber=91).

Smile,
Stein
Stein, big compliments! A ver ynice description and really good plans. No, 10 and 10 are really good ideas - and unfortunately I don't own enough room for realizing one of them.
However again - really good work!
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Wonderful! What a really great thing to happen.
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Thank you, guys!

And congratulations on your new job, Mark. Not a bad word about the C-130 - she is one tough old lady, but driving a Citation X after a Hercules must be like swapping an 18-wheeler for a sports car.

Smile,
Stein
Hi Stein, congrats on the article. I noticed it today, when I down loaded it, and saw the author. That reminded me to check back on Big Blue, as I've not been visiting lately, and I've got no excuse, so forgive my absence. :-)

Great stuff!

Koos
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
torikoos Wrote:Hi Stein, congrats on the article. I noticed it today, when I down loaded it, and saw the author. That reminded me to check back on Big Blue, as I've not been visiting lately, and I've got no excuse, so forgive my absence. :-)

Great stuff!

Koos

Very nice to see you back, Koos!

The article wasn't really written by me as an article - it had been compiled by Joe Fugate from a number of extracted quotes from various discussions threads I had posted in on the MRH forum, bound together by comments by Joe Fugate.

I was supposed to get a chance to read it and comment on it before publication, but due to some misunderstanding that never happened. I don't feel like I was misquoted or misrepresented or anything like that, but I wish I had gotten the chance to (re)write the article as a whole, to make a more cohesive (IMO) argument about why small switching layouts are fun.

Still - it was nice of Joe to publish some of my track plans, and to offer kind comments on them.

Smile,
Stein

Stein
Your Brooklyn/New York harbor plan looks a little like the Los Angeles Junction Ry B Yard & Leads Switching Map. The notes are by Charlie Slater X LAJ/ATSF/BNSF conductor now retired. Have 21 other LAJ Switching Maps w/ Charlies notes. They are going to be a great help for switching my LAJ layout.
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler
Those switching notes are a great resource, Andy !

Smile,
Stein
steinjr Wrote:Those switching notes are a great resource, Andy !

Smile,
Stein

Thankfully only have room for the A Yard & 4 leads and all very compressed! Will only do about 4 spurs on the attached Horn Lead. That lead is so big a whole layout could be made out of it.

Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler