Survey say's
Scales are HO and G. I considered trying N when I got back into the hobby about 12 years ago but the local hobby shop was going out of business and had all the HO stuff at half price.

HO layout is operated point to point with primary emphasis on switching but has a (soon to be hidden) cutoff for the usual reasons. The G scale is a simple loop in the back yard.

DC is the method of choice but I do have one sound on DC engine for visitors/grandkids. My engines can all run fairly slowly but after seeing the amazing low speed performance of the DCC engine has me re-thinking my position on control method.

Sound is ok as long as the volume is kept low. If I do switch to DCC, I probably won't get sound.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
FiatFan Wrote:.....My engines can all run fairly slowly but after seeing the amazing low speed performance of the DCC engine has me re-thinking my position on control method.

Tom, you might want to check-out these PWM throttles. Excellent low speed control and plenty of oomph to run multiple locos, too. They'll run from either the AC or DC terminals of your power supply.

Wayne
I model in HO. I think S scale is the perfect scale and would do it if I had the space. Unfortunately, in the space I have available, I could not have much more than a "double timesaver" in S. HO is too small, but with my space available, I can make do. I look at the detail that Kurt put into his scratch built PS5344 boxcar in the Scratch builder's forum here, and I would try to do that sort of detail for all of my rolling stock except locomotives if I could. It would be interesting to try for that level of detail in locomotives, but I would need to have a good running chassis as a starting point. Again in HO, I find the details too small to do comfortably, but I try to make do.

I like an isl, point to point. For me, running in circles is boring no matter how big the circle.

I'm using dcc on my home layout because I like the benefits of not needing to do anything with a throttle but run the train. The only switches I want to throw are "turnouts." I also prefer walk around control, and since the advent of dcc, analog walk around throttles are not available unless I build it my self. I think the biggest problem for me with dc is the variance in electric motors used in model locomotives. With dcc and JMI, I can tune a locomotive to start as soon as the throttle is cracked, and limit the top speed to what I want instead of what the motor will do. Since my home layout will only run one engine, I could make do with a good dc power pack like some of the good ones from MRC, except for the problem of the response and speed control and "tunability" being nonexistent without dcc.

I belong to a club for when I want to run trains in circles, but would rather do local switching even on the club layout.

My dream layout would be to build a point to point switching layout in a building the size Gary S built in Texas, but I would build it in S scale if I had the money and space for a building that size.
As of this posting here are the results of the style

HO Scale 12
N Scale 2
O Scale
S Scale
Z Scale
G Scale 1

Round 3
Round / P2P 3
Round / P2P/Switch 1

P2P 5
P2P w/ Loop
P2P / Switch 2
Switch 1
Loop 1

The tally so far shows 2 more style than responders. Reason 2 have 2 layouts Popcornbeer

Lots of interesting reasons and other good stuff.. In comparing the responses on Trainboard, the numbers are very close. I was surprised with 10 HO and 5 N scalers responding

More info to follow next Sunday
Member of: GRAND TRUNK WESTERN HISTORICAL SOCIETY
[Image: image.php?mode=thumbnail&album_id=229&image_id=4521]
I was surprised with 10 HO and 5 N scalers responding .
-----------------------------
That doesn't suprise me seeing N Scale has seen a 2% growth over the past 5 years-not bad-please don't ask..I forgot where I read that..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Available space seems to be an issue with some , so N scale makes perfect sense . As Tyson ( and others ) has demonstrated , you get get a whole lot of quality mrring in a relatively small area .

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
Scale: HO, because that's what I used when I was a kid. I returned to the hobby with my old equipment to get me going. Who knew that I would replace almost everything as I moved along! :o

Style: Roundy round for the most part. Though I enjoy the trains themselves and what they do, I prefer building the scenes themselves.

DC/DCC: I'm currently using dc. I may switch to dcc if I ever move and expand the layout.

Sound: I wouldn't mind sound but the cost to switch to dcc and sound seems prohibitive. I have maybe three grand into the entire layout so spending another twenty percent more to get those added features doesn't seem worth it. I base that number on a basic dcc system and adding decoders and sound to the few locos I have.
Corey
My decision re sound/no sound was pretty much made for me - since the locos I have will all be modified in accordance with the experimental/fantasy concept of the layout, I have no idea what they should or would sound like anyway. 8-)
Scale: HO. That is what was around the Christmas tree when I was a kid, what my dad had. I dabbled in N, I do own some O gauge tinplate, and a G scale for around the Christmas tree (because G is indestructible so my kids don't break it up like I did my dad's HO stuff!), but HO is and shall remain my primary scale.

Style of layout: I am currently building my layout. It is a single main track railroad, with a yard and a couple switching districts, with roundy-round capability because sometimes I like to just run trains.

DCC or DC: Currently using both so I can run what locos I have. I only own 4 DCC equipped locos out of about 30. The layout is wired for DCC though, so when I get the track all laid I will have to commit to DCC since there are no blocks to isolate DC locos that I am not running.

Sound or No sound: I own a Broadway E7 with sound, and an Atlas B23-7 with sound. They are impressive, but I do not see myself switching to sound for all locos. The only reason I own those 2 sounds equipped locos is because I got ridiculously good deals on them.

Dave
-Dave
Survey say's

- - - by ChuckC on Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:15 am
"I have always wondered the what and why on the choice of a model railroad for the hobbyist. So here’s a chance to let it out."

Scale: HO,HOn3, On30, N
Style of layout: "In the beginning" - - - 4' X 6' oval....then, Sectional ( 8' X 10' )....also oval, now? Modular

Brief reason of choice:
DCC or DC: DC ( less expensive ) but I do have a DCC system, so can run some trains, with sound.

My primary interest in Model Railroading, is seeing steam locos "moving", and, building models....Rolling stock, locos, buildings, trees, rocks, streams, and, most recently, a quiet little Seaport Museum, 5.5 (approx) Acres of open water, for display of ship and boat models
- - - - - - and trains, on about 6' of bridges. Big Grin
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Brakie Wrote:I was surprised with 10 HO and 5 N scalers responding .
That doesn't suprise me seeing N Scale has seen a 2% growth over the past 5 years-not bad-please don't ask..I forgot where I read that..

The surprise was that Trainboard has mostly been a forum with more N scalers than HO. It is amazing what the layouts look like and the quality of detail they have. I checked this morning and more N's are now responding. As one gentleman said, It's really an individuals choice on what he models. Space is the most responded reason on N. I really like one that said he "preferred quality vs quantity" and I'm assuming he was describing the detail of HO vs N. I personally could not add the brake detailing that I can do with a HO Tichy car in N scale.
Member of: GRAND TRUNK WESTERN HISTORICAL SOCIETY
[Image: image.php?mode=thumbnail&album_id=229&image_id=4521]
Scale: HO (more variety of equipment and I can still see it and work with it!) Over the years have had N scale, HOn3 and even have a large scale (1:29th) switching layout that I entertain the niece and nephew with when they come over. Always wanted to switch to O scale, but too much invested in the HO (and too old) to consider swapping scales again!

Layout: 100% switching layout under construction - but in operation. All my layouts have always been point to point (usually based on some prototype short line), but since switching is really my thing, I've gone to just modeling an industrial spur. Find it to be very relaxing to spend an hour or so placing and pulling cars as required, without it becoming boring or too much like real work.

DCC: Switched to DCC a little over a year ago and have never looked back. Simpler wiring and better locomotive control.

Sound: I love the 4 sound equipped loco's I have, but I always reduce the sound volume so that it doesn't overpower you. Something on the order of the 100 yard rule - if I can just hear it from a scale 100 yards or so, then the volume is about right. Now and then, the sound gets on my nerves so will just use one of the non-sound loco's for a change of pace.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
Ed, F8 will turn off the sound on everything I have with sound.
Les
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/">http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/</a><!-- m --> Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/lesterperry/
Lester Perry Wrote:Ed, F8 will turn off the sound on everything I have with sound.
Yep, I do that sometimes, but do have some great running loco's without sound that I run now and then - otherwise I just adjust the sound volume to an reasonable level and if it does get on my nerves, then I'll hit the F8 button. One feature that I get a kick out of on my Atlas loco's is pressing F3 with loco stopped and hear the brakeman pull the pin, then press F3 again as you pull away and hear the air hose's separate. Alway's gets a smile from visitors.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
ChuckC Wrote:
Brakie Wrote:I was surprised with 10 HO and 5 N scalers responding .
That doesn't surprise me seeing N Scale has seen a 2% growth over the past 5 years-not bad-please don't ask..I forgot where I read that..

The surprise was that Trainboard has mostly been a forum with more N scalers than HO. It is amazing what the layouts look like and the quality of detail they have. I checked this morning and more N's are now responding. As one gentleman said, It's really an individuals choice on what he models. Space is the most responded reason on N. I really like one that said he "preferred quality vs quantity" and I'm assuming he was describing the detail of HO vs N. I personally could not add the brake detailing that I can do with a HO Tichy car in N scale.

There are N Scalers that adds the brake rigging to their cars using thin wire. :o

I never could add the finer details in N even when I was younger.Of late I do well to add aftermarket horns in HO.

The amount of detailing,kit bashing and finer modeling going on in N is unbelievable.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!