Survey say's
Scale:

HO, since it has the most options and was, at one time, affordable.

Style of layout:

Right now, my layout is a 4x8 oval, but in the future, i'd like to build a "point-to-point" layout.

Brief reason of choice:

the oval was convenient for my space. in the future though, i'd like to model a few representative sections of the Northeast Corridor, with staging connecting the ends.

DCC or DC:

DCC all the way. there would be know practical way to control all these EMUs and other trains with DC block wiring.

Sound or No sound:

Sound if available, but not 100% necessary
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Let's see,
Scale is HO, L-shaped shelf switching layout. Theme is inner city Detroit -- urban switching. I use NCE Powercab DCC, no sound at the moment, but that will soon change. I chose Detroit because I grew up there (8 mile and Schoenherr!) and have always been fascinated by the huge industrial complexes and factories.

Chuck
Detroit Connecting
We are your
inner-city connection.
I inherited a large MRR collection from my dad. Most of this was HO or British OO. That was one reason why I chose this scale, plus both are very popular scales. Then I started buying my own collection of locos and rolling stock. -- so much that it would now be too costly to switch to DCC.

In general, I prefer running passenger trains on my roundy roundy layout but I also have a switching layout I enjoy occasionally.

But knowing what I know now, if I were starting from scratch, I would probably go with N and use DCC.
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->
Scale - HO. Inherited scale & rolling stock from ol' man.
Style - Round & round (love to just see trains run... Goldth ), with option for point-to-point by removal of lift-out section.
Control - DCC, for the GREAT ease of use, multiple engines running and simplified wiring...
Sound - Naaahhhh....I like things on the quiet side...
Gus (LC&P).