If I can't read it, I won't!
MountainMan Wrote:I cannot believe this topic is worth five pages... Nope

It may not be, but I see that you're still here. Wink :mrgreen: What? Me? Uh..., yeah...., but I'm a moderator: I have to watch threads like this. Misngth Misngth

EDIT: Oh, lookie, lookie: page 6 Icon_lol

Wayne

Just shows that there's more to folks here than a couple of pieces of Snap Track and a Tyco power pack...I've been to forums where this would have degenerated into chest thumping, monosyllabic grunting and four letter words before the third post... 2285_
...prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits...

My blog>>> <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com">http://www.misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
I just have one thing I want to point out. Many other forums that had a thread like this would have people using some very nasty language by now and the Mods would have had to shut 'er down.
Now here on "Big Blue" this has turned into a discussion that has handled a very difficult thread quite well.
None of us are perfect, nor will we ever be. That doesn't mean we shouldn't try.
Has anyone else noticed that all of the posts in all of the threads have improved, so it really does help to talk it out.
You are all a great bunch of people. That's why I'm here. (or is that hear) Icon_lol
Charlie
Just shows that there's more to folks here than a couple of pieces of Snap Track and a Tyco power pack...I've been to forums where this would have degenerated into chest thumping, monosyllabic grunting and four letter words before the third post... (unquote)

Thump, thump, thump, uunng, uhng, ungg, work, work, work. (Those last 3 are dirty four letter words.
Heeeeeheeeeheeee!

Lynn
Whitehouse, Tx
Shaygetz: Dr Seuss wrote a story titled "The Tough Coughs as he Ploughs the Dough", a far-fetched tale of the tribulations of an English learner.

My wife was, briefly, an English teacher and later a proof-reader and editor. She learned that a lot of people who speak a non-standard English think they are just speaking a different but just as acceptable (except to their teachers) form.
One of my bosses used to insist that I or anyone else read his reports after they were typed. He claimed that when he read them he would see what he had written originally and miss all the errors.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
shaygetz Wrote:[Just shows that there's more to folks here than a couple of pieces of Snap Track and a Tyco power pack...I've been to forums where this would have degenerated into chest thumping, monosyllabic grunting and four letter words before the third post... 2285_
You've been talking to my ex wife online? Eek

:mrgreen:
CANNONBALL
Baby likes to rock it like a boogie-woogie choo-choo train!
BR60103 Wrote:One of my bosses used to insist that I or anyone else read his reports after they were typed. He claimed that when he read them he would see what he had written originally and miss all the errors.

I often have this same problem. It is a trick your mind will play on you. Your mind already knows what you meant to write, so that is what it sees. I have gone back over an essay before and wondered just how I could have missed that, or found whole words missing. Icon_lol
Jim

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://dieseldetailer.proboards53.com/index.cgi">http://dieseldetailer.proboards53.com/index.cgi</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.okmtc.com/community/index.php">http://www.okmtc.com/community/index.php</a><!-- m -->
Now about that proof reading.
Eek
Joe[/quote]

Did I say anything about spelling? Tongue It's fixed now Mr. Pickyfussy. 790_smiley_picking_a_fight 357[/quote]

Not really the point, now is it.... Eek

J
Squidbait Wrote:

It's a slow week... Tongue
Not really, just very interesting..

J
Cannonball Wrote:
shaygetz Wrote:[Just shows that there's more to folks here than a couple of pieces of Snap Track and a Tyco power pack...I've been to forums where this would have degenerated into chest thumping, monosyllabic grunting and four letter words before the third post... 2285_
You've been talking to my ex wife online? Eek

:mrgreen:

Which one of my ex's were you hooked up with 790_smiley_picking_a_fight

j
shaygetz Wrote:Just shows that there's more to folks here than a couple of pieces of Snap Track and a Tyco power pack...I've been to forums where this would have degenerated into chest thumping, monosyllabic grunting and four letter words before the third post... 2285_

Why you no good son-of.... :o Confusedhock: Eek

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Just kidding!
Due to my incredible inability to think about something else while writing a post, I have learned that if you hit edit really quick after hitting submit you can fix mistakes without the dreaded "Post edited at ...." I also like that the post is not in the email alert as my edits then are not seen. That said, I live next to a town named Hurricane that is pronounced ur - i - can and people that I work with really say "Jeet? Sqweet?" so I apologize when my grammer isn't up-to-par.

Found this on the internet (using google Tongue )
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer
in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is
taht frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl
mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we
do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

Icon_lol
Scott
I see Squid is back to his old tricks.... he is getting old and the eyes arent what they used to be and in his defense he spends enough time around me in Ye Olde Hobby shoppe to turn nearly anyone into a cantankerous ornery so and so. I know I too find reading this format someone hard on my 40+ year old eyes so I often will select the text I am reading which changes it from white on blue to blue on white making it much easier to read.

However I will agree with Squid as he does have a point..... and its not just the one on the top of his head... yes Cheers with what he is saying.

Now Squid you play nice or I wont let you take the Lehigh Valley A-B set you put aside.
Jesso Wrote:Due to my incredible inability to think about something else while writing a post, I have learned that if you hit edit really quick after hitting submit you can fix mistakes without the dreaded "Post edited at ...." I also like that the post is not in the email alert as my edits then are not seen. That said, I live next to a town named Hurricane that is pronounced ur - i - can and people that I work with really say "Jeet? Sqweet?" so I apologize when my grammer isn't up-to-par.

Found this on the internet (using google Tongue )
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer
in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is
taht frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl
mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we
do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

Icon_lol

I can read your example paragraph as easily I can the "highly educated" English posted here by others., and I'm sure everybody else can, too, since humans are hardwired for pattern recognition and we read things in context.

Too bad we can model that way. Big Grin
In my high school years, when I was just a wee lad, I spent many hours proofreading student's theme papers and such.
I found it very helpful to look at everything backward, one word at a time. I don't mean "read" the individual words backward, just start at the end of the sentence, paragraph, page or whatever.
Try it, you'll like it!
I only know what I know, and I don't understand very much of it, either.
Member: AEA, American Legion, Lions Club International
Motto: "Essayons"