If I can't read it, I won't!
I saw those paint jobs, Ed, and they were both plausible and well-executed. You also made it known that you were aware that the New Haven never owned such locos. In my opinion, the dissenter had the pucker string in a certain part of his anatomy pulled way too tight. Misngth

Wayne
In the model railroad hobby we have "rivet counters" and in the war re-enactment groups they call them "stitch counters".
When people become obsessed to the point they can no longer have fun it is time to get out. When they get to the point they try to make it so others can't have fun, maybe they need a helping hand to a better place.
We have an acquaintance involved in the Colonial times re-enactments. He happened to be in a blacksmith shop when a teacher brought a group of children in for a nail making demonstration. After the Smith had made a few nails she turned to the children and said "Just remember children, they didn't really have nails in those days."
The Smitty, on his toes replied, "That's right children, they put Christ on the cross with Velcro."
There is a place for accuracy but some of the things some people worry about really don't matter to anyone but them.
Remember It's about having fun, anything more is an obsession.
Cheers Charlie
1- Click on User Control Panel ( located on second line below Big Blue logo )
2- click on Board Preferences
3- in My Board Style, select TheGaugeLite
4- submit

POOF !!! dark letters on a light background.

......................Oh Rats !!!, I've gone and turned the lights on and ended all the fun! :oops: Icon_twisted 357 Icon_twisted
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Let us not forget "Then" and "Than"

I don't feel the need to illustrate this, as it is basic grammar, too.

Matt
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.
iis612 Wrote:Let us not forget "Then" and "Than"

I don't feel the need to illustrate this, as it is basic grammar, too.

Matt

I often wondered about that one, too, whether it was a simple spelling error, a case of spoken mispronunciation resulting in the incorrect word being written, or if it's perhaps a regionalism.

I re-discovered this just yesterday (I think I saw it posted originally by Bob Boudreau on the MR Forum, back when I first came on-line).

[Image: sketch005.jpg]

Wayne
LOL I liked that Wayne. It is surprising what we adjust to.

Then: Refers to an order or progression
Than: Refers to a competing option (in this case)

A few examples:
1. Correct use: I would rather get a root canal than go to jail.
2. Incorrect use: I would rather get a root canal then go to jail.
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.
iis612 Wrote:LOL I liked that Wayne. It is surprising what we adjust to.

Then: Refers to an order or progression
Than: Refers to a competing option (in this case)

A few examples:
1. Correct use: I would rather get a root canal than go to jail.
2. Incorrect use: I would rather get a root canal then go to jail.
A very common error. What I hate more than anything is when MS Word will advise you that you're wrong, (your/you're), (for/four) or (then/than) and you know you are using the right word for that sentence. I had a really hard time in school, especially with English (flunked HS English four times), but I've done enough writing since then that they'd be proud of me now. Still can't spell worth anything, but that's another story... 35
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
ezdays Wrote:Still can't spell worth anything, but that's another story... 35

Spelling, according to my ninth grade English teacher, is a measure of memory, not intelligence.
I now believe this to be true, for as I age, my spelling becomes worse, and wurse again. Icon_twisted
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Although all of this is very entertaining, some members persist in using colors that cannot be easily seen. Yellow is the most difficult for me, followed by small red letters. Changing the forum background doesn't make it any better, either.

Give some consideration to who will be reading your post when selecting things like size and color...please.
MountainMan Wrote:Although all of this is very entertaining, some members persist in using colors that cannot be easily seen. Yellow is the most difficult for me, followed by small red letters. Changing the forum background doesn't make it any better, either.

Give some consideration to who will be reading your post when selecting things like size and color...please.
Yellow on a white background is difficult to read by anyone. Sometimes we forget that others are using a different board style with a light rather than a blue background. Even I forget and I should know better.

We all have some of our senses that are better or worse than others around us. I've got sharp eyes but am deaf in one ear (thanks to some skillful surgery), and have difficulty in the other (thanks to getting older). My wife on the other hand can't see to clearly, but can still hear a pin drop across the street. This is one good reason why we'll never separate, I see what she doesn't, she hears what I can't. Goldth
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
ezdays Wrote:...I've got sharp eyes but am deaf in one ear (thanks to some skillful surgery), and have difficulty in the other (thanks to getting older). My wife on the other hand can't see to clearly, but can still hear a pin drop across the street. This is one good reason why we'll never separate, I see what she doesn't, she hears what I can't. Goldth

I love that! Thumbsup Smile All part of being a complimentary couple!