20 second flyover of Kingsport
I've never used the video feature of my digital camera before but I messed around a little with it today and got a 20 sec. flyover of Kingsport that catches two Penn Central freights passing thorugh town. This will take some practice. I also want to find out if I can shoot longer videos somehow. Now where is that darned camera manual? Nope

Click on the image to play
[Image: th_002-10.jpg]
It looks sooty. I like it!
Corey
You need to get a helicopter so you can fly slower. My eyeball don't follow as fast as they usta did.

Lynn

PS It looked great. If you take a slower flight, I want to be on it.
Whitehouse, Tx
The bigger the memory card in the camera the longer the video you can shoot, 20 seconds sounds like the internal memory. Nice flyover BTW ! Cheers
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
If you cant find your camera manual, you can always check out the manufacturers website for downloadable online versions of the manual. Just check your model number and approximate purchase date beforehand to ensure you download the correct manual.

This method also means you can save the manual on your computer in an easier to read format for those whose eyes Eek are no longer as sharp as they once were. Icon_lol

Hope this idea helps.

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
That's a great layout you have there Ralph. very nice work. Cheers
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Very cool, Ralph. I enjoyed that one Thumbsup
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Very nice work, Ralph! I like the way you put scenery/structures between the track and the edge of the layout. I think it really helps make the setting look more realistic. It also draws the viewer into the scene more.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
Buy a 16 gigabyte class 4 or class 6 memmory card. Thats what I use. You can get several hours worth on the memmory card and still have space for other photos, even on the highest quality settings.

I also find that its better to place the camera on a stable surface or small tripod, and let the trains pass the camera. Even if you moved slower, it is nearly impossible for you to hold the camera steady (in fact, its inherently difficult due to the nature of our nervous systems, no matter how young or old you are). Because of this, panning shots can be difficult.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Hello Ralph---I enjoyed the tour,beautiful layout Thumbsup
Ralph -

Looks great! Barney Secord would be proud! Wink

In terms of getting a steady shot, you can rig up one of these:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.diycamera.com/stabiliser/index.html">http://www.diycamera.com/stabiliser/index.html</a><!-- m -->

Since it looks like you were simply moving along with the train, you could also put your tripod on a dolly or work cart and run it along. Adding weight to the camera set-up will help to stabilize.

Overall I found it quite smooth for a hand-held effort. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Andrew
Hey Ralph, great work. I can never get enough shots of your layout. My only complaint is never enough shots!!! Big Grin
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
You guys are very kind! Thanks for the tech advice. I'll look into other memory cards.
Ralph
It took a bit to download, but well worth the wait ! Nicely done !!! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!