Kitbashing Bachmann 2-6-0 Alco into CNR
Hi folks!

Recently, Gene reviewed Bachmann 2-6-0 Alco in HO Scale and it became quite evident this model could offer excellent kitbashing opportunities.

Since the announcement of this product last year, I had myself thoughts about canadianizing this little versatile engine. The goal was simple : a small steamer equipped with DCC, sound and close enough to a real prototype to look right on the layout with minimal effort and investment. As Mies van der Rohe’s old saying goes : « Less is more ». With simple tools, little investment and junk box parts, let see what we can achieve.

First step : Find a suitable prototype

The most important thing is the model silhouette must be immediately associated with a real locomotive at first glance. Proportions and general placement of details are important and determining. It also keeps major modifications at bare minimum.

After checking all CNR 2-6-0 classes, it became quickly evident that class E-10-a was a serious contender. Roughly, engines #81 to #89 (at least) can be represented faithfully and many are still preserved so plenty high quality reference material is available readily on the web. The main concern is that Bachmann model has 56" drivers while the real thing got 63" ones. In fact, it shouldn’t bother you because drivers location and relationship with other locomotive parts is respected (last drivers partially under the cab, by example).

Also, domes, cab, stack, bell, generator, most railings, pilot and other details are correct both in style and size. Better, they are at the right location which is a good start. At this point, we know most features won’t need alteration. It should be noted that pump model isn’t the same one, it’s location isn’t exactly right and running boards aren’t at the right height. At this point, you can choose to modify them. I think they should be keeped because there was a lot of variation in a same class of engine, also, it would mean making alteration to the boiler and its cast on details, something that is bothersome…

A vintage picture from Keith Sirman's collection shows us in detail locomotive #88.

[Image: PortRowan-KS1.jpg]

It should be noted that when Green Mountain Railroad acquired #89 (now Strasburg Railroad), the engine was on the dead line and they had to rebuild a few things. For this reasons, many discrepancies exist now between the historic #89 and the preserved one. Be aware that running boards, pilot, stack, piping and tender were altered in many ways.

as it looked under CNR management :
http://www.cnrphotos.com/gallery2/main.p...emId=64733

And now, as preserved and restored by Strasburg Railroad:

http://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/2/...979924.jpg

My engine will be numbered #86 because it is less famous than its sister locomotives, but also because 1986 is the best year, the one I was bitten by the railway bug as a little 3-year old kid seeing a pair of CN M420 in my hometown.

[img]Second%20step%20:%20Identify%20future%20modifications[/img]

Bachmann 2-6-0 is lightly detailed which, in some way, is a blessing (no needs to file down too much useless details).

1) Two steel bands made of styrene will be added to the boiler according to the prototype.
2) Most piping will be removed and rerouted through the pump.
3) Tanks will be relocated under the cab.
4) A new brass headlight with support, a styrene CNR « licence » plate and a scratchbuilt triangular numberboard will be added to the front.
5) A brass whistle with a styrene shielding will be added
6) Cab will receive new railing and sunshades according to CNR practice
7) Tender wings will be filed down to get the correct contour
8) A balsa coal bunker extension will be added
9) New headlight and railing to the tender
10) New set of decals according to prototype

Here's the preliminary modification specifications drawn over Gene's side shot of his own 2-6-0.

[Image: CNR2-6-0.jpg]

Questions:

At this point, I’m not sure about my piping rerouting. Feels like somethings wrong. Also, what would be the piping on the other side? There’s also a tank, but no pump…

Hope you enjoy!

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
This should be very cool...I'll follow with anticipation.
Hello Matt---here's a shot of the right hand side of an E-10-A CNR Mogul---hope it helps for your project,I'm looking forward to your conversion

[Image: P1130687.jpg]
cn nutbar Wrote:Hello Matt---here's a shot of the right hand side of an E-10-A CNR Mogul---hope it helps for your project,I'm looking forward to your conversion

Thanks CN Nutbar! Very useful! I don't kown why, but about 95% of picture are left hand side! BTW, Could you provide a bird view of the tender, mainly the coal bunker seen from the cab side and the rear side?

Other question about the white lining on running boards and wheels tire. I don't see them often on many picture during the 50's. Were they and old standard that came obsolete as steam was disappearing?

Gene, you're the one that sparkled the project! I'll check with a friend thursday evening about redoind the lighting (front and rear) and maybe making a illuminated numberboard. I hope to start bashing during the my summer vacation starting Friday.

Matt

sailormatlac Wrote:.....as it looked under CNR management :
http://www.cnrphotos.com/gallery2/main.p...emId=64733

.....Here's the preliminary modification specifications drawn over Gene's side shot of his own 2-6-0.

[Image: CNR2-6-0.jpg]

Questions:

At this point, I’m not sure about my piping rerouting. Feels like somethings wrong. Also, what would be the piping on the other side? There’s also a tank, but no pump…

This looks like a promising conversion, Matt, but you're right about the piping. Wink

In the photo of the 89, the water line from the tender loops up behind the air tank, then enters the cab through the floor - you can see it through the opening in the door on the front of the cab. That's the injector, which sends the water through the large pipe (just below the handrail) which comes out the front of the cab. It passes behind the top part of the air pump, then drops down towards the running board, terminating at the check valve (which allows the water to enter the boiler). The vertical pipe in front of the cab is a condensate line (drain) from the injector, and it likely also comes through the front of the cab, with that portion of it perhaps hidden by the pipe leading to the check valve. It goes through the running board, ducks behind the air tank, then curves forward and then downward, terminating just above the rail.
The air compressor piping is partially correct, with the steam line to power it coming through the boiler lagging between the cab front and the compressor, just below the pipe to the check valve. (The top portion is the steam-driven pump which does the compressing, while the actual compressing takes place in the lower portion). The steam exhaust line from the compressor does exit from the front of the upper portion, as you show, but the pipe should extend all the way to the smokebox, where it enters, allowing the steam to be expelled up the stack.
On the lower part of the pump, you'll notice the cannister just below the running board and to the rear of the pump: this is the air intake for the pump, and is basically a filter to remove the "lumps". A pipe leads from it directly to the compressor. (Ignore the pipe to the air tank for now - we'll get to it later.) The compressed air exits the pump through a pipe at the front, then drops down through the running board. It's difficult to tell from the photo, but there may be a horizontal loop of pipe attached to the underside off the running board (rather than the more noticeable vertical loop usually used). In either case, this is a radiator (cooling coil) used to cool the air, which gains heat as it's compressed. This pipe then comes back up through the running board just aft of the exhaust pipe from the cylinder, then goes up and over the smokebox, back down the other side and through the running board again.

[Image: CNRMogul019.jpg]

It then passes through another cooling coil and then (possibly) into the air tank beneath the engineer's side of the cab. Another pipe will exit that tank and cross back over to the other side of the loco, entering the air tank on the fireman's side through the pipe mentioned earlier. The whole idea behind all this piping is to cool the compressed air as much as possible before it reaches the tanks. If the air was put directly into the tanks, and allowed to cool (and contract) on its own, it could give a false pressure indication. One source shows a minimum requirement of 75' of pipe between the compressor and the air reservoirs. Eek

The photo of #89 shows a single phase air pump, while the sketch indicates a cross-compound pump - basically a two-stage pump with a low- and high pressure side, but both types are piped more-or-less the same.

I'm sure that your re-working of this loco will turn out just as well as all of the previous ones, Matt. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne
sailormatlac Wrote:....I don't kown why, but about 95% of picture are left hand side!

I'd guess that it's because the fireman's side of the loco was usually the most interesting, with both the air compressor and feedwater heater pumps located there.

sailormatlac Wrote:Other question about the white lining on running boards and wheels tire. I don't see them often on many picture during the 50's. Were they and old standard that came obsolete as steam was disappearing?

I think that the whitewall tires and running boards were up to the discretion of the shop servicing the locos. A lot of the Moguls worked their last years out of Hamilton, Ontario, and there are quite a few photos showing Moguls, Consolidations, and even 0-6-0 switchers dolled-up in such a manner.

Wayne
Glad to help Matt---here's some tender shots

[Image: P1130690.jpg]

[Image: P1130692.jpg]

[Image: P1130693.jpg]

[Image: P1130695.jpg]

I'm not sure about the stripping on the running boards and the tires---I think it was an item that certain shops applied to the locomotives,it was not a system wide standard application---maybe some-else may have some further information
Great input Wayne! I really appreciate the time you took to explain it all in details! It will be useful when I'll upgrade my IHC 2-6-0 that needs to be digitalized and electrically improved.

doctorwayne Wrote:This looks like a promising conversion, Matt, but you're right about the piping.

Honestly, I'm surprised that that little information is found on the web about kitbashing this model. I suspect many already did it, just didn't publish anything. It really fills a gap between IHC modern 2-6-0 and MDC old time 2-6-0. I feel it will be more suitable than these previous models. If it works well, it could be the cheapest and easiest way to get a credible CNR plastic little steamer at little cost and without too much bashing...

At first, I wanted to make QRL&PCo #22, but no plastic model is close (wheel base was extremely short and cab very small, making a small but bulky locomotive). The closest thing was MDC Harriman 2-6-2 heavily bashed... my first attempt failed miserably...

doctorwayne Wrote:The whole idea behind all this piping is to cool the compressed air as much as possible before it reaches the tanks. If the air was put directly into the tanks, and allowed to cool (and contract) on its own, it could give a false pressure indication. One source shows a minimum requirement of 75' of pipe between the compressor and the air reservoirs. Eek

OK!!! Now I understand... Quite simple when you know how it works! I love it when a plan comes together! BTW, you're right, a horizontal coil is nested under the running board... knowing what you're doing before hand helps a lot when it's time to bash. If I follow you well, it would be better to file down cast-on details were the air pump steam line enter the firebox?

doctorwayne Wrote:The photo of #89 shows a single phase air pump, while the sketch indicates a cross-compound pump - basically a two-stage pump with a low- and high pressure side, but both types are piped more-or-less the same.

I'm sure that your re-working of this loco will turn out just as well as all of the previous ones, Matt. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Ahahah! I feel some pressure to replace the air pump!!! OK!! Scalpel!

CN_nutbar, thoses pictures are PERFECT! The tender bashing will be a straight forward process with them! That collection of your is truly amazing, I suspect you have a model for each CNR classes that existed!

Matt

I'll keep the engine entirely black according to prototype pictures of the era. It will also be better to hide the fact running board has two different level (prototype run perfectly ininterupted). If painted white, it would pop up at first glance. And honestly, I find painting tires tire-some! Wink

If you ask me why I won't attempt to modify the running board, it's because it will involve a lot of work that won't pay in the end. Prototype cab rided a little bit higher because of larger drivers. If I don't want to raised the cab, I need to lower the front running board and it doesn't look right (to low on the cylinders)... The answer would be somewhere in the middle... which means a lot of messing works hard to hide. I can go overboard, but this time, I don't feel it would pay in the end.

Matt

sailormatlac Wrote:....If I follow you well, it would be better to file down cast-on details were the air pump steam line enter the firebox?.....

I'm not sure I'm following you, Matt, but on the photo with the new piping drawn-in, you have the steam exhaust pipe running to the sand delivery pipe. It has nothing to do with the sand pipe, and should simply continue straight-on to the smokebox. There appears to be some cast-on detail on the smokebox - looks like a damper control, and could probably be removed - it's not on the real one.
On the prototype photo of 89, the exhaust pipe runs along the top of the running board, but it's difficult to see exactly where it enters the smokebox. It appears to be right behind the air pipe which goes up and over the smokebox, and just barely above the running board. There's another exhaust steam pipe terminating in the smokebox, just above and in front of the pipe for the cylinder exhaust, and it appears to come from beneath the running board. I'm not sure where its source is, though.

Wayne
I tested the locomotive on the club layout tonight.

I agree with Gene's previous review. The engine has limited pulling capacity. Over 10 cars on flat surface, it is prone to wheel slip. I don't know if weight can be added, but it could be welcome. Anyway, I intend to use it on mixed train service and light industrial switching.

I must admit I was surprised by the decoder. I feared it would be a dud and was pleased as soon as the model hit the rails. Far better than other built-in Bachmann decoders I've had to replace in the near past. The engine responds to the first step, making it a reliable locomotive for small speed and prototypical operation work. In fact, among all Bachmann recent small steamers I own (0-6-0T, 4-4-0 and 2 Consolidation), it's definitively the best. It runs like a good quality diesel and is very quiet.

Sound isn't top notch, limited and generic, but for the price it is quite reasonnable and enough to bring life to operation. A steamer without a bell and a whistle isn't convincing at all... (On that point, fellow club members with be glad that I shut up my mouth once for all, instead of poorly mimicking sounds... Big Grin ) Sound isn't too loud, just enough if compared with other decoder that almost blow your eardrums.

Paint job is good, letterig is wrong in every aspect. Numbering is completely off (road number and font) and CNR logo on the tender isn't at scale. I suspect from recent Southern GP-50 review that other roadnames suffer the same discrepancies. I don't care anyway, it going to be partially renumbered.

Lights (front and rear) are bright and powerful. They are white with a light bluish hue. Not perfect, but no need to replace them (nothing like the 4-4-0 green-yellow and GP7 amber LED).

Good news for small layout modellers, it can negociates tight radius curves and capricious small curved PECO turnout. It would make an interesting working model for small earlier era switching layout.

Overall, Bachmann did a great job on this generic model for the price and the fact it isn't a Spectrum offering (it doesn't compare at all in details with their 4-4-0). Thumbsup If you're not into brass and want a mogul at low price, this is definitely a must. A great replacement for good old IHC 2-6-0 that was a kitbasher's favorite. However, prepare yourself to add some details and work things here and there to make it looks good. On this point, I think many of us are already accustomed to Bachmann's policy of cheaply priced, less detailled engines with good running capabilities.

I'm looking forward to kitbash this locomotive in the forecoming days. I'm curious what Bachmann plans to offer next. A generic Pacific or Mikado would be great since cheap plastic offering are technologically outdated since a long time.

Matt

Matt, regarding all the road names for the Bachmann 2-6-0, yes, there are all discrepancies. B&M did have 2-6-0s, bhut they all had slide valves. I think the Bachmann prototype, for GB&W in the 1920s, would be best (other than CN, where it does seem to have some correspondence) for short line and regional prototypes, though a little big for many short lines.
jwb Wrote:Matt, regarding all the road names for the Bachmann 2-6-0, yes, there are all discrepancies. B&M did have 2-6-0s, bhut they all had slide valves. I think the Bachmann prototype, for GB&W in the 1920s, would be best (other than CN, where it does seem to have some correspondence) for short line and regional prototypes, though a little big for many short lines.
It is actually a small 2-6-0. The locomotive is only slightly larger than the Old-time MDC/Roundhouse/Athearn 2-6-0/2-8-0/4-4-0.

Have waited for a locomotive like the Bachmann Mogul for almost sixty years. Just bought two of them.

They are great.

Harold
hminky Wrote:
jwb Wrote:Matt, regarding all the road names for the Bachmann 2-6-0, yes, there are all discrepancies. B&M did have 2-6-0s, bhut they all had slide valves. I think the Bachmann prototype, for GB&W in the 1920s, would be best (other than CN, where it does seem to have some correspondence) for short line and regional prototypes, though a little big for many short lines.
It is actually a small 2-6-0. The locomotive is only slightly larger than the Old-time MDC/Roundhouse/Athearn 2-6-0/2-8-0/4-4-0.

Have waited for a locomotive like the Bachmann Mogul for almost sixty years. Just bought two of them.

They are great.

Harold

@jwb: It's definitively a locomotive suited to represent 1910-1920 common practice. I do agree it would fit many short line that got them second hand. I should have taken a picture of it beside my IHC.

@Harold: Knowing you, I'm pretty sure you have some interesting kitbashing plans for them. What are you trying to do this time?

Matt

Here it is next to a MDC/Athearn 2-8-0

[Image: mogul.jpg]

Finally a SMALL locomotive that can be bashed. Lots of matching prototypes.

Harold

EDIT: Here is a bash with slide valves:

http://alaskarails.org/creations/PD-208/index.html

[Image: 208-detail-parts-le_tn.jpg]