Scalpel VS. # 11 blade
I know that some modelers have mentioned using scalpel blades rather than Exacto type # 11 blades . I say exacto type # 11 , because there are other blades that Exacto ---- I use Excel , they last longer , the very sharp tip of the point does not break the first time it touches anything, they are a bit hard to find at some LHS , of course my experience has been that IF you get your LHS to order and try some Excel, that will be their new "blade of choice" ( I have no dog in this fight--I have no connection with Excel).
All that out of the way , my question is, how does a Scalpel blade hold up and is there any scalpel similer to a # 11 blade ?
My dad had some scalpel blades and handles in a little kit of "small tools" I got after he passed on in '85, but none close to a # 11 so I never used any of them. Any one used them much that can give me some information ?
Instant glue ? ---- SOLDER ---- NOW THATS INSTANT!
I won't swear to this, but the comparable scalpel blade, to a #11 Xacto, is ( used to be ) a #11. This is an excellent blade for cutting out individual decal letters, or other light work, but the blades are considerably more flexible than the Xacto, and much more easily broken than the Xacto. They were, after all designed for cutting tissue, and will open up a finger in a heartbeat, but are not all that good for wood, or plastic cutting. "Micro carving"?, yes, but the usual stuff we do, not so much.
It wouldn't surprise me to find that all the Xacto blade styles, have corresponding numbers to surgical blades, of the same style.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
I am using Scalpel blades frequently. They are very delicate and do not replace any other blade. I use them as a pure add on for e.g. masking tape.
However, the none sterile version (not to be used for any medical application) are extreme cheap in large quantities offered in ebay. I would not uses them otherwise.
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:I am using Scalpel blades frequently. They are very delicate and do not replace any other blade. I use them as a pure add on for e.g. masking tape.
However, ]the none sterile version (not to be used for any medical application)[u][[u]are extreme cheap in large quantities offered in ebay. I would not uses them otherwise.

Hmmm ? Non sterile ? Now that I think about it my dad used to use his "small tool kit" and his scalpel to remove slivers from fingers , mine included. Bet they wern't sterile after riding around in his truck --, good thing no one reported him to the AMA!
Instant glue ? ---- SOLDER ---- NOW THATS INSTANT!
I also prefer to use skalpels.
First a can cut the wood sprips exact rectangularly and second I can made fine cutouts for connectings and crossings of wood "beams". The reason is the very fine and THIN blade of the scalpels.
Look the pictures - and click on pictures for enlarged views.

[Image: locoshed_04k.jpg]

[Image: locoshed_06k.jpg]
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.