Shorpy RULES!!
I noticed A curious thing in the photo of the 36 sedan--- there seems to be a piece of the Windshield broken out of the passenger right upper corner. According to all the info I can find --safety ( laminated) glass was devised in France in 1927 and by 1929 Ford was using it in ALL production. Safety glass would not have broken out a piece like that-- any ideas why this shows no apparent safety glass in 1936? Is it possible the Gov't had not decreed that ALL w/shields be safety glass yet and that the sedan may have had a w/shield replaced --seems odd that a w/shield would be changed on a current year car tho. Any ideas?
Instant glue ? ---- SOLDER ---- NOW THATS INSTANT!
Dave

It looks to me like the whole windshield is shattered but just the corner has fallen out. If so, this would be consistent with safety glass.

The upside down vehicle might be a trailer.

Notice the windshield wipers on the vehicle on the road?

Mike
I guess that could be right , never really noticed how safety glass acted before .
The wipers on the coupe seem to have bounced up a bit !! Also only the Coupe had TWO wipers -- must have been an extra cost option? I am old enough to remember when a heater was an extra cost option AND dealer installed at that! I had a 1947 CONVERTIBLE in SOUTH DAKOTA in 1956 that had NO heater when I bought it-- it very soon had TWO --one on the firewall AND one UNDER the seat. Also had a block heater --anyone know what that is?
Dave Harris sctchbld Wrote:Also had a block heater --anyone know what that is?
Electric engine block heater. Plug it in to keep the engine block warm in winter so the water jackets don't freeze. One of our fire trucks (1971 Ford C950 custom Cab) had one. The truck was bought in Pennsylvania. It also kept the hoses and radiator warm.
15 year veteran fire fighter
Collector of Apple //e's

Beatus homo qui invenit sapientiam
YUP --You won the KEWPIE DOLL!! A Block heater makes starting and driving a car nice at 30 below 0 or so --- it has heat right away!
If you fellers want to go back in rememberations, does anyone recollect when buying a new 1946 car with a "sticker" price of about $640, they hung a necktie on the mirror as an unavoidable, or mandatory option and sold the car for $1075. The only way, or loophole to get past the OPM (Office of Price Administration). As soon as production caught up, prices dropped back to normal. I was 16 at the time.

Lynn
Whitehouse, Tx

Are those unusual in American cars? I don't know of anyone around here (SE Norway) that don't have an electric block heater in their car.

Smile,
Stein
steinjr Wrote:

Are those unusual in American cars? I don't know of anyone around here (SE Norway) that don't have an electric block heater in their car.

Smile,
Stein
Here in Arizona when we want to heat up our engine block, we just open the hood for a bit... 357 357 357
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
steinjr Wrote:

Smile,
Stein
They're available on a lot of vehicles as an option.
15 year veteran fire fighter
Collector of Apple //e's

Beatus homo qui invenit sapientiam
ezdays Wrote:Here in Arizona when we want to heat up our engine block, we just open the hood for a bit... 357 357 357

Yes, I get that you don't need a block heater in Arizona. Or Louisiana, or Florida. And several other places in the south.

But are block heaters so rare that it would be reasonable to assume that most people would not even know what a block heater is? You do routinely have extended periods of temperatures below freezing in the wintertime for at last half the US or so, don't you?

Smile,
Stein
steinjr Wrote:
ezdays Wrote:Here in Arizona when we want to heat up our engine block, we just open the hood for a bit... 357 357 357

Yes, I get that you don't need a block heater in Arizona. Or Louisiana, or Florida. And several other places in the south.

But are block heaters so rare that it would be reasonable to assume that most people would not even know what a block heater is? You do routinely have extended periods of temperatures below freezing in the wintertime for at last half the US or so, don't you?

Smile,
Stein

Stein , Below freezing yes , but usually folks don't start thinking about block heaters till the temp gets to WaaaaaaaaaY below zero . I lived in SLC Utah for many years --it gets to 0 there now and then, low single didgets often, and I know of no one that had a block heater there .

Yellowlyn--- I don't remember the "Mirror Tie" accessory but I do remember the dealer I worked for in the 60's registering "scarce" cars -- Like the first MK II Lincolns to "straw buyers" -- friends of the dealer -- then "buying " them back , making them a USED CAR without ever leaving the lot! As a "Used Car" there was no MRSP cap on the price
yellowlynn Wrote:If you fellers want to go back in rememberations, does anyone recollect when buying a new 1946 car with a "sticker" price of about $640, they hung a necktie on the mirror as an unavoidable, or mandatory option and sold the car for $1075. The only way, or loophole to get past the OPM (Office of Price Administration). As soon as production caught up, prices dropped back to normal. I was 16 at the time.

Lynn

Being born in 41 puts me at a disadvantage for remembering a lot of the 40's , however I DO remember seeing cars with WOOD bumpers in the late 40's --- I always thought that the bumper must have been damaged and the owner was too tight to replace it! Found out years later that for a time after the war Chromium was in very short supply and Car factories made the bumpers out of wood -- If you wanted a "real" bumper you waited and bought it later!
steinjr Wrote:

Smile,
Stein

Well Stein, Now that I live in "The Icebox of the Nation" --- Fraser Colorado , 9500 feet up in the Rocky mountains, I now have a block heater in my 92 Honda, just in case it gets REALLY cold. So Far it has been as low as 41 below Zero -- Farentheit , not Celsius, and I have not needed it yet. The Honda so far has fired right up , but one time after 3 days of not being started and with temps below - 30 every night , it did struggle a bit!
        While we are posting wreck pictures for model junkyard inspiration , here is one I found on Jalopy Journal, a hot rod forum. These pictures are of what one man STARTED with to build a hotrod -- He actually saved and straightened this disaster out and built a spiffy hotrod with it. I am going to start with a spiffy hotrod hotwheels and reverse the process!