SCR 3038.
Meet SCR 3038 a Alco S4.
[Image: 004-18.jpg]

First Slate Creek Rail is a terminal switching line that services 2 industrial parks Slate Creek and a unnamed park that handles around 2500 cars a year between the two parks...Both parks are isolated and SCR keeps 2 locomotives at each park.The crew switches Slate Creek in the morning and then takes the company's pickup truck and drives to unnamed park in the afternoon and switches that industrial area using one of the two engines kept there..

Here's the question.

I kinda like 3038 the way she is- a old raggedy looking used Alco switcher.

However..

Maybe its time to repaint this poor Alco?

Your thoughts?
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Are you saying, by the way, that the two isolated operations are actually two separate ISLs? Interesting. Whether to repaint would be a question of how seriously you take railfanning your layout, among other things. If the SCR has one paint scheme, it might be interesting to have a unit that isn't in it and is ragtag. This also raises questions like whether you might want to have dead units -- something you used to run that now doesn't, or some basket case from a swap -- waiting in the wings like SMS for restoration, also ragtag. It would certainly build a history for your layout and make photos you post very interesting, too.
Are you saying, by the way, that the two isolated operations are actually two separate ISLs?
--------------------------------------------
There will be one ISL..

However.

I plan on having the buildings removable so I can rotate operations between industrial parks by simply switching out the structures and freight cars..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

That switcher looks wayyy to spiffy, I'd dirty it up some more Larry.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
There's a way to do lettering with a black background in Microsoft Word. If you go to page layout tab, change the page color to black, then go to home tab and change the font color to yellow, you can make your own decals. I've made them for my New York Central Alco which I hope to decal soon.

Otherwise, a simple reporting mark would look great too. I love gnarly patch jobs. Thumbsup
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Put a different number on each side and run the loco long hood leading at one ISl, and short hood/cab leading at the other - "Hey Presto!" - two locos for the price of one. You could even have both sides basic black, but with one side patched
shortliner Wrote:Put a different number on each side and run the loco long hood leading at one ISl, and short hood/cab leading at the other - "Hey Presto!" - two locos for the price of one. You could even have both sides basic black, but with one side patched

Actually I "borrowed" a idea from SMS..SMS painted 1 or 2 of their Baldwins for PRR so,I going to have a S4 painted for fallen flag railroad.. Confusedhock:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj0cX7-kZxY">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj0cX7-kZxY</a><!-- m -->

I think it will be a fun thing to do.

Both Alcos are backup power for SCR's EMD SW8 and SW1.

Of course there's nothing stopping the crew from using the Alcos instead of the EMDs.. 357
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Larry, Here's something that you can apply to a decal sheet:

[Image: 7796625966_7d79f8100e_o.jpg]
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
My short-line use the spray can stencil look!!! $$$$ is limited!!!!
Mike Kieran Wrote:Larry, Here's something that you can apply to a decal sheet:

[Image: 7796625966_7d79f8100e_o.jpg]

I saved a copy of that and will check around for a printer..Mine quite working about a year ago I haven't replaced because I seldom used it.

That should look pretty good on the 3038.I'll probably patch the Walthers SW1 as well.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry